Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

10 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Are you suggesting people won't show up?

Correct.  I think as of right now, a whole large swath of the fanbase sits out ep9.  Not saying it won't get a GA, not saying it won't make money.

But I do think the drop off from TLJ will be precipitous and noticeable.  There are ways for them to get those fans back into the theater, they have time and capability for some smart marketing.  It's recoverable.  But Solo doesn't really help or hurt them, its clearly a non-event.  Nobody is bothering to see it.

4 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

I’m still confused at how large the tracking numbers were for Solo and just how far it will come below them.

The whole $170 million+ thing didn’t make any sense to me because the buzz around the movie was so muted.

They probably assumed the Star Wars brand was too big to fail. Clearly not.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

I’m still confused at how large the tracking numbers were for Solo and just how far it will come below them.

The whole $170 million+ thing didn’t make any sense to me because the buzz around the movie was so muted.

I think its possible the trades and media who want to stay on Disney's good side or who want access didn't want to get ahead of the failure story.

If they correctly projected bad numbers ahead of time, but it surprised with a stronger than expected showing (maybe because of holiday weekend walkups) that doesn't help them in their relationships with Disney.  But if they overproject, and then it comes under as expected, they never crossed Disney and its an opportunity to write new think piece articles on what went wrong.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

One can argue ROTS is better as its full of memes and a lot of fun epic fights and dramatic moments, but saying AOTC and TPM is better is just well lol:gold:

Its Star Wars, everyone will watch it regardless they say...

49 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

21jnvl.jpg

What?

37 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder what kinds of numbers the big three of June (Ocean's 8, Incredibles 2, Jurassic World) have to post for people to declare this an underwhelming summer. Everything else aside from those three is probably gonna be lucky if they make over $50M.

JW is easily gonna do less than half of the first movie.

9 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

The only TLJ opinion I hate is the it's worse than the prequels talk and that isn't even remotely true. 

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

One can argue ROTS is better as its full of memes and a lot of fun epic fights and dramatic moments, but saying AOTC and TPM is better is just well lol:gold:

Its Star Wars, everyone will watch it regardless they say...

Pod Racing

Duel of Fates

JarJar's vs driods

Always a bigger fish

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

They probably assumed the Star Wars brand was too big to fail. Clearly not.

Between Avengers: Infinity War, Deadpool 2 and Solo: A Star Wars Story, it was the latter that looked aggressively ordinary. Infinity War teased an extinction level event while Deadpool gave us more irreverence.

22 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

God I wish Devin Faraci was still around, his aggressive defending of this movie would've been the most entertaining.

he's still around on letterboxd and he's still faraci-ing.

bWVikwS.png?1

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

The only TLJ opinion I hate is the it's worse than the prequels talk and that isn't even remotely true. 

IMO, it's a bigger slap in the face to Star Wars fans than the prequels. 

• Like 2

Clearly no brand is too big to fail. We have multiple evidences of that. MCU will see this happen at some point as well. Hell, Ant-Man got away because of the fantastic legs in August and that China number boosting the OS result.

Han Solo is looking at a 400M WW total. This is total implosion.

• Like 4

As far as I hate TLJ, I guess we will have to wait til Ep 9 to verify the brand damage.

Solo has so many factor that against it, including recasting the iconic character, itself being a spin off, non-Christmas season release, lowest RT score for new-era SW....blaming TLJ for solo's disappointment could be an overstatement.   

I won't watch solo

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lab276 said:

Come on dude.

I'm completely serious. The prequels may have been bad, but they didn't kill my enthusiasm for future movies. TLJ did that. I will never pay to see a Star Wars film again.

3 minutes ago, Uzice said:

I'm completely serious. The prequels may have been bad, but they didn't kill my enthusiasm for future movies. TLJ did that. I will never pay to see a Star Wars film again.

Attitudes like that are making me think SW is doomed after all.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Uzice said:

You'll watch IX, you won't be able to resist. Even I give in and watch Marvel movies every now and then.