Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

56 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Nice that you are now pulling figures out of thin air, and they are still not comparable.

From where else can we pull figure about how many people watched a movie exactly ? It is far from something that we will be able to read anywhere.

How many people in China end up watching those movies (with piracy or otherwise) for example ?

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, but...you gotta give it a few more days...

I mean, Solo took enormous amounts of screens this weekend, starting on Thursday (and pretty much all the premium ones)...that's gonna start changing by Tuesday...or Friday at the latest...and Solo and DP2 have very similar audiences in the 17-45 male set (yes Solo can also appeal to families, but that Saturday number probably means it isn't), so before being ABSOLUTELY certain, watch a few more days and see what happens...DP2 has a couple of empty weeks in front of it, plus Father's Day, to have a chance to see if it can catch some late legs...now, being a sequel, it's harder...but not impossible, especially since Solo just bombed out this weekend...

Now, I say this having still not gotten to DP2 (went to the pool b/c it was beautiful yesterday and now have our 2 evenings BBQ parties the rest of the weekend)...if I had, I'd be much more confident one way or the other...I saw SHC OW, and seeing a movie and how it appeals is so much more helpful to know if it will catch fire...

Next weekend is probably gonna be the "go/no go" on a chance at $300M...if it can't hold well against vs pretty much nothing opening, then, yeah, stick the fork in it...

I love Deadpool 2 as much as Homecoming. But I don't see the big legs because the market is oversaturated and it's not getting "better" for time enough to accomplish that. Deadpool 2 would REALLY reap benefits of being an off-season blockbuster like the first one. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

Not talking about Bright but Netflix itself

It's so MEH

In America it's great. Great selection of TV shows and even movies sometimes. A lot of original content too I guess but I don't watch that usually. 

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, incognitoo said:

I'd really love to see him taking on Antman or Spidey.

I think Ron Howard would be better suited for a Falcon or War Machine movie. 

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So BOT is finally coming to terms with the fact that Ultron was a big success.

Finally.

It only took 3 years.

Good.

When? Who? I wanna see that :P

I think sws will be just fine in the long term, it's impossible to kill star wars as generations brought up on it.

Han Solo seemed to me and the GA (im in touch with the GA) as a spinoff with famous television memestars rather than a major sws film.

Star Wars will continue to make over a BIL with it's major films but if it wants to make the two billie club again they're going to have to make a truly groundbreaking film. To do that they will have to bring in a genius with big vision and overwhelming talent.

40 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I said this before but no one really answered. Would Disney have lost more or less money if they saved Solo for their first big exclusive on their streaming service? 

Do not think anyone has the ability to translate revenues from something on a streaming service on a box office message board.

Solo is doing badly but will still make much more money than it's releasing cost (unlike box office bomb), so at least it will lost less money than if it was never released.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So BOT is finally coming to terms with the fact that Ultron was a big success.

Finally.

It only took 3 years.

Good.

I think the "disappointment" comes mostly from its domestic decrease. OS results are still really strong however:

Avengers > AOU retention (DOM): 73%

Avengers > AOU retention (OS - China): 87%

Edited by Mekanos

11 minutes ago, Hunch said:

A huge embarrassing mess for Disney

The drop from Rogue One is worse than the drop Revolutions had from Reloaded, and that was considered one of the benchmark worst drops ever for a franchise.

Han Solo, the mega iconic character, is doing less than Doctor Strange on OW.

I love seeing a giant corporation get bitten in the ass by their greed, but I'm also sad because this means a Kenobi film starring Ewan McGregor is less likely. This might be the end of the 'A Star Wars Story' films altogether. 

Talking about spin-offs of loved characters following a franchise film with mixed reception, X-Men Origins: Wolverine followed X3 just like Solo follows TLJ. It managed an 85 opening (more than half it's prod budget) on a non-holiday weekend without premium screens before the preview era (and the movie leaked before release though don't know how much that mattered ~10 years back). XOW though had a 3 year gap with X3, which was an advantage over Solo for sure.

Edited by A2k Raptor

Lucasfilm basically exists to put out yearly Star Wars movies. Disney didn't buy to let them bide their time and rest. I really doubt there's a slowdown, but there will obviously be changes in strategy and the mouse will be breathing down their necks from here on out

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

What is the longterm plan for Star Wars when Latin America and Asia just don't give a fuck? Are America and Europe going to carry this franchise forever?

all they have to do is bring back lots of force users and lightsabers, fun scifi settings like cities and unique planets, actual setpieces, etc. i mean for all intents and purposes rogue one was just a random scifi movie in these markets and managed what it did just from looking like a cool scifi movie, whereas tlj dropped because it looked like a lame scifi movie.

i wouldn't be surprised if episode 9 starts with a timeskip establishing dozens of new force-users already having cropped up, the knights of ren having come out of hiding, and a focus on characters with cool outfits/accessories and powers. magic/scifi. so the marvel route. if not then at least big spectacular action, the fast & furious route. i'm sorry but if your main action setpiece in the marketing is WALKERS like.....

9 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

This is a good time to realize what Marvel means to Disney and what DC could mean to WB. #Goldmine

Disney also has Pixar and WDAS is very successful too. They also seem to have a lore of unlimited live-actions.

DC already is a goldmine for WB just from television and merchandise, if they can get the films right as they did TDK trilogy and Wonder Woman, they'll be laughing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

for some reason the prevailing notion everywhere else seems to be that Justice League is the bigger bomb than this. Why? 

Delusion

• Like 1