Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Imo the SW fanbase is so bitter and divided these days, there is no way it's coming back together unless Episode 9 is amazing. 

:gold:

They should've let JJ continue this franchise by directing all 3. I see no reason why he couldn't have done all. 

3 hours ago, Macleod said:

New York Times' assessment on this matter is that this thing cost $400 million to make and market worldwide.  Ouchy youchy. 

That is much cheaper than what deadline advanced (above $470m), 400 would be cheap versus all the other report out there, like a $230m net budget with a $170m release.

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Imo the SW fanbase is so bitter and divided these days, there is no way it's coming back together unless Episode 9 is amazing.

FWIW I do think there are ways for them to do it, but I'm honestly not sure if they are that deft or brilliant.  It would take some very careful planning and execution.

7 minutes ago, REC said:

Exactly there's a real bad and false narrative going on here.  I liked TFA just fine, but TLJ was a giant fail by comparison.  Same characters basically.  The problem is how they were characterized and written.

This is not a left/right issue.  I'm liberal, many of my friends are liberal.  They see it the same way as I do.  TLJ was bad because... its poorly written.  Badly plotted, baffling editing choices, inconsistent characters from TFA to TLJ... it's all about the writing and how they were handled.  At least JJ was much better at handling characters, but TLJ put the story and characters started in TFA and put them into a dead end.  There's nowhere interesting for the 3rd act to go!  No reason to tune in to anything they're doing with Star Wars anymore.

So if you want to understand why Solo is now flopping, that's it.  At least for me and everyone I know.  Buncha elite liberals and Hillary voters, Obama supporters.  How dare us for properly recognizing bad writing.

The “it’s only those right wingers who have a problem with the new Star Wars movies!” Is very prevalent here sadly 

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

The biggest fail this weekend is people saying this will appeal to families and do well regardless of presales...

The issue is this a star wars spin off largely target to fans of the ot and ot fans are a pissed off bunch these days.

Hum where the ultra low youtube trailer views rank in that list too ?

I think Disney ultimately has to sit down and figure out "What is Star Wars and why do folks love it?"  

I see a lot of folks saying to move on from all the characters in the OT and just find a new part of the universe...BUT, what universe?  Why would anyone care?

Is the universe beloved the way the supers universe is?  Have Leia/Luke/Han/Vader/Obi Wan become the heroes/villains of the universe like supers are in theirs?  Is the love only for continuing their stories (not going back b/c obviously no one wants that without a reboot...and could you ever reboot?)  Is there any tentpole-level interest after 9?

I mean, for supers...not a whole lotta fans want to see Commissioner Gordon as Batman in a Batman movie (and yes, in the comics, he's been Batman) - they want Bruce Wayne, and they will likely want Bruce Wayne until there is a dynamic, awesome reason not to...not a whole lotta fans want to see Lex's clone as Superman in a Superman movie - they want Clark Kent until there is a dynamic, awesome reason to not want Clark Kent...

So, this is a long way of saying that it's going to be so interesting to see how 9 comes together and how folks react, with no OT left to buoy it...I enjoyed the OT, hated the prequels, and found TFA/RO average (I still have not braved TLJ - I can admit that opening scene turns my stomach b/c Luke is, and has always been, my favorite Star Wars character with Mara Jade #2)...I was so invested in the Star Wars now Legacy universe for years - I met Aaron Allston, Michael Stackpole, and Timothy Zahn just b/c I wanted to (and I don't meet authors of anything)...and the new stuff has not really caught my fancy to rekindle my uber-fandom.  I can now take or leave the movies on their own merits - it doesn't hurt if they suck, any more than watching Despicable Me 3 did (maybe this is me getting old - I can take it:)...

Maybe that's it...is this new stuff actually catching the fancy needed to create a fandom...or is it just trying to keep the last dying embers of a previously enormous fire bright...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

There's not a single Indian character in TLJ. Now that's discrimination. Why is no one talking about THAT?

Im almost entirely certain that Solo might be the first Star Wars movie in 40 years that had a black woman with a line of dialogue. Not 100% sure though.

2 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

They should've let JJ continue this franchise by directing all 3. I see no reason why he couldn't have done all. 

He didn’t want to I think. But he did have some ideas for Episode 8 and 9. Rian three them

all out 

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, LaughingEvans said:

There is no reverse causality in my argument.

I will make an infographic for you so you don't get confused.

IDENTITY POLITICS ----cause----> MINORITY

IDENTITY POLITICS ----cause----> SHIT WRITING

I don't care about the first. I care about the second. Your fixation that I care about the first, as if it undermines my character, and my opinion, is just mind bongling. At this point I think you're trolling me.

Why are you using the term identity politics? 'Cause identity politics means the first one. Always. Like that's what the words mean. It's about race 100%. If race/gender didn't exist, the term identity politics would not exist.

If you don't care that she's Asian stop using the term identity politics. But as long as you keep using it, well, it's going to sound like you have a problem with her because she's Asian. Because the term is 100% about race.

It's possible to criticize a shitty character who happens to be played by a minority without bringing up that she's Asian or using the code words "identity politics". And yet you can't seem to not be able to do that. So...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The “it’s only those right wingers who have a problem with the new Star Wars movies!” Is very prevalent here sadly 

Where? Unless the movie was a 3 hour gay wedding then that would be impossible.

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

:gold:

With Mr Magic Blood and BvS writer as writers? Good luck. :lol:

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, baumer said:

The point being there are a lot of movies to double their opening weekend from one movie to the next.  I was wrong in thinking there were only a few.  I don't think Ant-man will get to 100 mill opening weekend, but history is not on my side.

The problem I have with AMATW is that the trailer comes off as exceptionally gimmicky. If you like things shrunk in size or blow up in size for either laughs or to advance the plot, then the film will deliver by the truckload. If you're wanting something resembling a story or if you're not impressed by the size gimmicks because you're not a six year old, then the trailer has almost nothing to offer.

• Like 1

if anything i'll relent a bit and say that racists/sexists disliked tlj for HAVING poc/women, and anti-racists/anti-sexists disliked tlj for being racist/sexist TO those poc/women, which would explain why no one seemed to like the movie lol. but i still believe the second one is more prevalent than the first and the narrative that it's only/mostly the first is just false

Edited by water