Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, water said:

if anything i'll relent a bit and say that racists/sexists disliked tlj for HAVING poc/women, and anti-racists/anti-sexists disliked tlj for being racist/sexist TO those poc women, which would explain why no one seemed to like the movie lol. but i still believe the second one is more prevalent than the first and the narrative that it's only/mostly the first is just false

Classic water.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AJG said:

No. I’m just saying there’s so many openly racist and sexist people that cling to the franchise that I am now uncomfortable with it.

You can thank Disney's brilliant marketing department for this incorrect perception. Rian, JJ, and Kennedy all fed the outrage machine. Make bad movies like TLJ or TFA, call them "incredibly progressive," label all the haters as "alt-right", then all legitimate criticism is buried underneath the toxoplasma of rage and confusion, while pretty much everyone ends up disliking Star Wars, leading to the box office numbers we're currently seeing.

If the movies were good or at least non-divisive, this conversation wouldn't even be happening. It's a distraction from the real problems of the movies.

• Community Manager
10 minutes ago, water said:

i'm being completely calm and civil lol. moving on... that's untrue.

see this is where i'm confused. i hated finn's role in tlj. because the movie was racist. i hated rey's role in tlj. because the movie was misogynistic. no one is calling me racist or sexist for that because in criticizing their roles i'm being ANTI-racist and ANTI-sexist. and i think this applies widely. during tfa, like you said, there was no real big valid reason to criticize finn, but plenty of racist people hated on him just for being black. in my experience those people didn't have the same level of hate for tlj because there just straight up wasn't a lot of finn for them to complain about. meanwhile us finn FANS are mad about the movie sidelining him. so you appear to be on my side, and i'm the crazy sjw here so i don't see the truth in this narrative that "people turn that around into a sexism or racism issue". as far as i'm concerned hating tlj doesn't make you racist/sexist, it makes you anti-racist/anti-sexist. i mean obviously there's also people who hate tlj just for having women, but i really think that's overblown and the bigger issue here is that people are presenting an extremely misogynistic movie as somehow being progressive wrt gender. obviously there's also still people who hate tlj just for having a black guy, but i really think that's overblown and the bigger issue here is that people are presenting an extremely racist movie as somehow being progressive wrt to race. just because a small amount of extremists exist that hate black/female characters whether they're big or small roles doesn't mean that a racist/sexist movie isn't racist/sexist because those extremists hate it. water bottle this should explain what i mean, thanks lordmandeep for the jumping off point

I think your confusing racism with your opinion of Finn's story. TLJ wasn't racist because it "sidelined" Finn. Also I'm pretty sure racists would hate TLJ simply because a black man kissed an Asian woman. 'Cause once again...they are racists.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AJG said:

That’s a voiceover so that doesn’t count, but even then... that’s kinda sad.

Poor Lupita. She was underused in Black Panther too IMO. Hope she gets something juicier in the sequel.

• ...wtf 2

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

I think your confusing racism with your opinion of Finn's story. TLJ wasn't racist because it "sidelined" Finn. Also I'm pretty sure racists would hate TLJ simply because a black man kissed an Asian woman. 'Cause once again...they are racists.

I thought it was the other way around?

30 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

So it's because she's Asian even though you say it isn't? I don't see what "identity politics" has to do with anything on why she's a shitty character. Yeah, I'm sorry, I don't think if they casted a random white actor, it would make a big difference? Cause I don't see it. 

If she was a good character (almost) nobody would be complaining that she was asian. I think race/politics had about 1% to do with the rejection of TLJ, but unfortunately it dominates at least half the conversation around it. 

Hollis also points to the MCU, noting, “We’re in a world where we’re in the same conference rooms planning Marvel movies. We have a Thor and a Black Panther and an Infinity War coming out in November and February and May and each are massively successful. They each do well and people aren’t asking these questions.”

#NotAllFranchises

9 minutes ago, AJG said:

Im almost entirely certain that Solo might be the first Star Wars movie in 40 years that had a black woman with a line of dialogue. Not 100% sure though.

and @Mekanos Bahahahahahahahhaha, thanks for proving my point that RO is forgettable crap! 

744ac8d3f8dc49c8059814e13b139371.jpg

This Queen told the Rebellion that they were shit. :bravo: Unfortunately, her correct assessment prompted the terrible "rebellions are built on hope" rebuttal. :gold:

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

The problem I have with AMATW is that the trailer comes off as exceptionally gimmicky. If you like things shrunk in size or blow up in size for either laughs or to advance the plot, then the film will deliver by the truckload. If you're wanting something resembling a story or if you're not impressed by the size gimmicks because you're not a six year old, then the trailer has almost nothing to offer.

I wholeheartedly agree. Omg. Every time I see the trailer it comes off as one big gimmick. It might've worked for the first installment but who is actually excited to see that a second time?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

4 identical Star Wars films in 3.5 years, it’s madness.

Just 2.5 really, Awaken was in december 2015 almost 2016, we are still in first half of 2018. that a Star wars every 7.5 month or so.

Edited by Barnack

• Community Manager
Just now, Pure Spirit said:

If she was a good character (almost) nobody would be complaining that she was asian. I think race/politics had about 1% to do with the rejection of TLJ, but unfortunately it dominates at least half the conversation around it. 

Whether she was written well or not, nobody should be complaining that she was Asian! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1