Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

2 minutes ago, water said:

jj's deleted episode 8 that lives in my heart > r1 > tpm > tfa > rots > anh > aotc > rotj > esb >>>>>>>>>>>> licking movie theater floor >>>>>>>>>>> tlj

haven't seen solo yet but it could really end up anywhere tbh!

If you want to watch a movie that is the absolute definition of mediocrity then I recommend you go see Solo.

It’s a fascinating experiment showcasing just how mundane a movie can be.

Just now, AJG said:

If you want to watch a movie that is the absolute definition of mediocrity then I recommend you go see Solo.

Whedon wrote it?

Just now, Ledmonkey96 said:

Another thing to note that i remember after seeing a post on Reddit.

Spiderman is a now a below average Marvel movie in terms of gross.

The Avengers is below average for the Avengers movies.

• Like 2

Lmao I bet if they made a movie on the Fan Wars it'd sell better than solo because damn some of the stuff is super entertaining. Some guy posts a video and in it he says "go look at my twitter and you'll see it's not just fat white guys who agree with me." I humor this man and do it. First thing I see is two of his coworkers saying they think he'll chew them out for not hating the movie LOL. 

I mean the script writes itself, really. Fan Wars: Civil War

7 hours ago, Brainbug said:

:hahaha::hahaha:

DOM wont go under 400M, unless reception is truly horrendous. China alone can easily contribute 300M+. Thats 700M on the low end right there.

I dont see any scenario where Fallen Kingdom fails ro reach at least 1,2B worldwide. 1,4B+ is much more likely, especially with good reception.

This aint SW or DC comics. This is Jurassic Park.

"This aint SW or DC comics. This is Jurassic Park."   Jurassic Park aint Marvel either.

23 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That a bit unfair too and miss a bit of the picture.

Rebooting a series is so common that it is a very minor part of why those movie get backlash, there is stand stop making star wars 10 marvel 20, Alien 7, predator reboot, Creed 2, etc... movies and created new stuff for sure. When Rocky is re imagined / restarted with someone else it is ok because he is a men but would be bad if it is a woman ? When Ocean is rebooted it was ok when they rebooted the franchise with Clooney/Pitt with a male crew but not with Blanchett/Bullock with a female crew ? That distinction is becoming really strange.

But being ok with men base products to redo and make sequels from the giant library of title from the past they have but female one should be limited to new stuff (or the more limited library of female starring franchise) would put them at a big disadvantage in today world were it is so hard to spend that giant money without any IP to reassure investor.

It would be ideal obviously if they come up with new stuff more often, but there is a high fear reality.

To be clear, i have no problems with reboots per se. Hell, one of my favourite films is the 2014 reboot of Godzilla. But i have serious problems with lazy reboots. Ghostbusters 2016 was a lazy reboot imo, because it failed to justify its existence beyond the fact that now all leads are women. I dont care if the leads are women or men or cats and dogs, i want a good movie. Ghostbusters 2016 wasnt a good movie. It could have been good if it wasnt copying the original film while kinda shitting on it at the same time (again, personal opinion. Im happy for everyone that can enjoy Ghostbusters 16.)

I will see Oceans 8. And if the movie delivers the goods i will be very happy. But none of the marketing convinced me till now, that it isnt a lazy reboot that hides its laziness with the gimmick that now the leads are women. Im hoping to be wrong, im hoping that i will enjoy it, but i have my doubts.

You are right, IPs are driving the industry now. But whos to say that a film like Baby Driver cant have a female lead? Succesfull franchises all had a first installment at some point that gave moviegoers something new, inventive and thrilling. From Die Hard, Lethal Weapon or Rocky to the big ones like SW, Jurassic Park or James Bond. And i want to see films with female leads that can start a franchise like these ones. What i dont want is a James Bond movie where we have Jane Bond. Because that is fucking lazy.

So, its on Hollywood to give the actresses the new films and franchises that they deserve. Ofc, many of them might fail but you gotta have to start beeing completely serious about this at some point. Idealistic maybe, but absolutely neccessary imo.

Edited by Brainbug

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Anyone thinking that issues with Rose, Holdo or Finn in TLJ are all due to racism/sexism need only read that last sentence you wrote. 

I am not sure what people liked is a good metric of sexism of racism issue, racist will like the best black nba player on their favorite team.

How people react, how much they are bothered, how big of a deal it become when someone do something they dislike is a woman versus men or person of color is were it will show itself.

Now one must take into account the Star Wars fanatism, they are still going on about Jar Jar I guess and they went after a kid actor in phantom menace (and he was white and cute), people rapidly thinking something must be going on to have such a strong reaction could be easily overrating it.

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

3 minutes ago, REC said:

I think Solo might deserve a special ranking:  Doesn't matter.

i'm definitely seeing it lol. would have this weekend but my star wars friends were not in a rush this time. at this rate we might be the only ones in the theater next weekend :sarah:

7 hours ago, Valonqar said:

It's genius and so fitting. 

BTW, could Avatar 2 pull a Solow? :ph34r:

Don't give @IronJimbo a heart attack. :jeb!: Though SOLO proves that any franchise other than MCU is vulnerable, that includes the so-called James Cameron cinematic universe or whatever you wanna call it.  

3 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Dude did a damn good job with The Abyss movie! It's one of his most underrated movies!

8f96562e566adc83e94a46e30949e311-the-aby

Agree, it's an incredible film, one of his best, and definitely his most underrated. I'm resolving to rewatch it again this week (haven't seen it in several years). I was waiting for the blu-ray but Cameron can't be arsed for some reason.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Don't give @IronJimbo a heart attack. :jeb!: Though SOLO proves that any franchise other than MCU is vulnerable, that includes the so-called James Cameron cinematic universe or whatever you wanna call it.  

I could see the MCU having a Good Dinosaur situation. Movie with little hype and interest put in a crappy timeslot. Not likely but probably not something I can rule out. It's the only Pixar movie to flop in its theatrical run as far as I know. Though Good Dinosaur's inflated budget didn't help things.