Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, Rman823 said:

Pretty sure the general consensus around here after BP’s opening and legs was that IW beating it would be a challenge. 

I saw plenty of posters being pretty confident that IW could topple it after it broke the OW record.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Lack of summer weekdays and then Deadpool prevented IW from reaching 700m. Wish they had moved Ant Man to fall and IW to July

That could actually also work. With that said, people fucking LOVE their early May Marvel Studios films. You don't screw up with that - and that serves to Star Wars new "date" which is December. 

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Yikes at Solo. what a rollercoaster.  Deadpool with a harsh drop too. Will everything disappoint this summer?

It would be funny if Infinity War was followed by a diluted summer. 2012 was the same way when Avengers smashed most records in its path (Ted and to lesser extent Magic Mike were probably the only surprise hits that summer season).

• Astonished 1

18 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Solo’s actually a pretty dang good time.  It’s funny, I think all of the TLJ haters choosing to boycott it would actually dig it.

Probably my least favorite of the Disney Star Wars, it’s much better than AOTC or Phantom Menace.  It’s better made than Revenge of the Sith but not as hammy and fun as that one.

The important thing to note here is what I've been trying to argue for the past few days: it's not just a vocal minority that isn't interested and that they're not even mostly "boycotting" alt-right people. There are plenty of people who just thought TLJ was a bad movie, and just plain aren't interested. Finding out the movie is "good fun" or "fine" isn't going to convince them to see it. The numbers will probably prove it, and going back to that ~600 page thread will probably be funny in a few weeks.

The younger, positive group always thinks that the more negative group is tiny by comparison. I tried pointing to what happened in certain elections in 2016. Was told that this point was irrelevant to the conversation. Funny, haven't seen them post much recently...

Getting off topic, though. My point is that I don't know that all TLJ "haters" would actually like the movie. And even if they would, the full damage of that movie will probably only be seen next year when episode 9 comes out. We may think this is the JL of Star Wars only to find out that it's more like the Wonder Woman. If this goes on to make a bunch of money by the grace of the capitalism gods(EXTREMELY unlikely given international numbers, but let's humor the thought), people will probably think it means the brand can still be saved. But the true horror will come if it turns out this was just the eye of the hurricane.  

1 minute ago, Moviefanatic said:

I saw plenty of posters being pretty confident that IW could topple it after it broke the OW record.  

True. But there was still some more reserved and cautious posters as well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nova said:

So my $260M prediction for Deadpool 2 could actually happen :thinking:

Lol, are you employing a reverse jinxing strategy for DP2? 

You know as well as anyone that 260M is gonna be easy. 

1 minute ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

The important thing to note here is what I've been trying to argue for the past few days: it's not just a vocal minority that isn't interested and that they're not even mostly "boycotting" alt-right people. There are plenty of people who just thought TLJ was a bad movie, and just plain aren't interested. Finding out the movie is "good fun" or "fine" isn't going to convince them to see it. The numbers will probably prove it, and going back to that ~600 page thread will probably be funny in a few weeks.

The younger, positive group always thinks that the more negative group is tiny by comparison. I tried pointing to what happened in certain elections in 2016. Was told that this point was irrelevant to the conversation. Funny, haven't seen them post much recently...

Getting off topic, though. My point is that I don't know that all TLJ "haters" would actually like the movie. And even if they would, the full damage of that movie will probably only be seen next year when episode 9 comes out. We may think this is the JL of Star Wars only to find out that it's more like the Wonder Woman. If this goes on to make a bunch of money by the grace of the capitalism gods(EXTREMELY unlikely given international numbers, but let's humor the thought), people will probably think it means the brand can still be saved. But the true horror will come if it turns out this was just the eye of the hurricane.  

You lost me when you entertained the idea that Solo would act like Wonder Woman. It won't. 

• Like 1