Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Bang on, @DAJK. It's a tough situation because I thought the movie rocked and I don't want them to change much.

On that note , I really think people should see the movie before they comment on what Lucasfilm needs to change. SOLO is doing rough numbers because lots of people aren't giving it a chance, not because of the movie itself.

That was my point yesterday - it's a rejection of the universe, not the movie itself.  

To change the rejection, something drastic probably needs to happen...maybe even at the top.  Til then, large parts of the fanbase (which in the US is pretty much the entire GA) will never come back...they got burned, and they don't want the same folks to burn them again...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Episode 9 will barely cross a billion and will no doubt be the last SW film to ever do so 

I don’t think $1b is even close to a sure thing anymore for IX. Will all depend on the reception of it. I also highly doubt that SW won’t ever be back to being a juggernaut. Even if this sequel trilogy goes down in flames, SW will come back with a vengeance at some point. They just have to give real time to let the demand build again and not make such a divisive film. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Fantastic Beasts I guess has a compelling case in steady fanbase+Dumbledore, but nobody really has alot of love for the first one, which only did what it did because of Harry Potter nostalgia. With that gone, I see a big drop incoming. Plus Depp gonna hurt alot more than he'll help.

6 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Ragnarok and Black Panther literally have the same plot.

Still not the same movie? One is a space opera comedy.  The other is a black/political/serious movie.  There’s only so many plots one can write. :apocalypse:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Also Disney needs to learn from Solo and reschedule all the live action remakes asap.

They will flop If they keep such a tight release schedule. What the heck are they thinking releasing TLK and Aladin within 3 months? There won't be any left too soon. lol

This is not the reason Solo isn't going to make bank.

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Fantastic Beasts I guess has a compelling case in steady fanbase+Dumbledore, but nobody really has alot of love for the first one, which only did what it did because of Harry Potter nostalgia. With that gone, I see a big drop incoming. Plus Depp gonna hurt alot more than he'll help.

Fantastic Beasts will probably decrease domestic but probably not by a lot and overseas will be huge so nothing to worry about 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think the Grinch and SLOP 2 probably do 200. I do not think a single live action non-Disney film is making over 200 until next summer, after Jurassic World. And hell, even Spider Man is part of the MCU.

I am not one of those that expect FB2 to increase but I think $200m is almost locked.

This one is far easier to sell than the first one.

Trailer views are not the be all end all but Solo's abysmal, for a Star Wars movie, trailer views predicted this outcome. How can not one of it's trailers have 20 million views on Youtube? Lack of interest, that's why. They could have overcome that with great reviews and a strong last minute push but neither of those things happened.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

MI:whatevernumber it is could break 200.

I don't believe in A Star Is Born, but a lot of people seem to somehow.

Fantastic Beasts 2, obv.

But yeah, it does look skimpy outside BV releases.

Perhaps deluded Lady Gaga fans . @La Binoche   But there is no way it’s going to break 200M.  :hahaha:

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Goddammit this is still super disappointing even though I’ve pretty much been expecting it for the past 24 hours. Not cause it’s Star Wars and I want my beloved franchise to do better. But because the movie really is good.

I’m not sure what lesson I want Lucasfilm to learn from this... I’m mostly fine with the quality of their output, maybe marketing? Solo didn’t look all that appealing. Idk

Why is Solo failing so badly? 3 words:

The. Last. Jedi.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

"Some commenters here are eager to declare Solo an all-out failure in the Justice League sense of the word, but it’s still too premature. The film could see a spike in younger audiences today and tomorrow."

Lets also keep in perspective. Justice League was supposed to be DC Avengers. It was supposed to be the over $200M opening weekend and way over $1B worldwide. Solo was never expected to be that. Justice League was preceded by 3 bad to awful films, 1 very good, and itself was a mess. Solo was preceded by 3 very good, very well made films. You may not like the content of them, but the quality was there. Warner would have killed to have Justice League get the 71% RT score.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don’t think $1b is even close to a sure thing anymore for IX. Will all depend on the reception of it. I also highly doubt that SW won’t ever be back to being a juggernaut. Even if this sequel trilogy goes down in flames, SW will come back with a vengeance at some point. They just have to give real time to let the demand build again and not make such a divisive film. 

How? I mean, what is there left to do, really?

Already did the prequels that showed how Vader and the Jedi fell and the Emperor rose.

Did the sequels as well and killed off multiple main characters from the OT.

Can't continue with the OT characters as the actors are either too old or dead.

Since SW seems to be mainly nostalgia driven it's hard to see in which direction they can continue from here.

Kind of doubt the new non-Skywalker trilogy will find a big audience even if I myself might go see at least the first one.

27 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Also Disney needs to learn from Solo and reschedule all the live action remakes asap.

They will flop If they keep such a tight release schedule. What the heck are they thinking releasing TLK and Aladin within 3 months? There won't be any left too soon. lol

They would rather have their own blockbusters eat into each other than have some random studio do it. That way they get all the money and avoid getting “Jumanji’d” again.    

It sucks for us though! Since that means lower gross. 

Edited by GraceRandolph

after aou it looked like no cbm would beat ta but this year bp and aiw both beat it.

after bvs and ss, wondr didn't look like it would do big. jl did bad but wondr2 and shazam may do great.

after x3 and wolverine:origins things looked bleak for x-men.

after tokyo drift f&f looked dead but is a global monster now with a spinoff in production.

jw followed jp2 and jp3's bad reception and largely declining gross.

a franchise like sw can't be in trouble when 3 movies did 4.5b combined, and only solo is flying low

Edited by A2k Raptor
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Franklin808 said:

Lets also keep in perspective. Justice League was supposed to be DC Avengers. It was supposed to be the over $200M opening weekend and way over $1B worldwide. Solo was never expected to be that. Justice League was preceded by 3 bad to awful films, 1 very good, and itself was a mess. Solo was preceded by 3 very good, very well made films. You may not like the content of them, but the quality was there. Warner would have killed to have Justice League get the 71% RT score.  

Are you forgetting that a lot of people didn't like The Last Jedi? You can't just ignore that just because it has a high Rotten Tomatoes score.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think you are underestimating the Dumbledore hook. Already the first reactions to the teaser have been better and the interest online seems higher.

The first one had nothing going for it apart from "happening in the wizarding world" and still made a bunch of money. Especially after Solo, the performance of FB shines way more.

Edited by FantasticBeasts