Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, REC said:

I really wonder about their official reaction, but I suspect it will be to do what they've been doing:  spin spin spin.  They don't want to admit defeat on any front, I get that.  They don't want to admit fault, that would then imply they would need to take corrective action.  That usually involves lopping off heads, and I can understand why they either believe they're not there yet or they don't want to go there.

The other path is to do something like what Wells Fargo did once they were clearly caught and getting eviscerated publicly for their misdeads:  start doing your mea culpas.  Say you're sorry and you're gonna work hard to get people back into the fold.  Wells Fargo actually runs TV commercials saying exactly this.  That's kinda what you do when you hit rock bottom in terms of public opinion (or at least believe you're on the cusp of getting there).

That's a bit extreme, and I would be shocked if they went that way right now.  It'd probably take the financial failure of ep9 before they'd even consider something like that.  So cynic in me says they're gonna keep spinning.

The initial spin was to blame Memorial day weekend, even though it was their choice to put it out over Memorial day weekend.  But they have a lot of other fallbacks right?  Blame the fans, blame the troubled production, blame the competitive calendar (whatever that means).  Claim its exceeding expectations even though its clearly not.  Could probably have a list of 10 or more half decent spin moves and ways of claiming faux-victory.

They’ll do more spinning than a washing machine at a laundromat!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Only person I feel sorry for is Alden Ehrenreich since his "breakout role" has turned out to be such a bust. I've liked him in previous stuff and liked his performance in Solo despite the suspension of disbelief that he'll eventually become Harrison Ford.

I don't. This is really good for him cause it proved that he is not a movie star and that's not the path he should waste his career on. He's a character actor. If he is smart, he'll lay off blockbusters at least as the lead and build impressive career in other type of movies. There's nothing wrong with actors like Michael Shannon, Sam Rockwell, etc. They have long lasting careers, awards attention, etc. If Alden kept trying as the leading man he would end up like Collin Farrell at best, who also wasted his potential chasing boxoffice when he's much more effective as the small movie lead or part of an ensemble, or Fassbender who is now a joke for being a boxoffice poison and who hasn't been in a good movie for years (No Steve Jobs was not good).

Edited by Valonqar

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

In your opinion but BP would not have been anywhere as popular without it being in MCU lol ? 

Yeah, I'd prefer if they were stand alone rather than having to tie in.

51 minutes ago, REC said:

The takeaway ought to be build on your fanbase, don’t shit on it.

Various people at Lucasfilm, Rian, JJ etc, have openly mocked and taunted the SW fans.  Various statements made in interviews or off-the-cuff social media made by them have helped to poison this well.  The fanbase didn’t wake up one day and decide to arbitrarily hate Star Wars, the recent batch of creators and leaders have caused this to happen.

Yeah the megafans are about as crazy as a bag of cats.  You still need to treat them with respect and guide them the right way.  If you don’t show up for them, they may not show up for you next time.

i hope this puts to rest this idea that Star Wars is indestructible and fans always show up.  Clearly they always have and that is true, until it’s not.  Things are different now and Lucasfilm needs to acknowledge this new reality if they want to navigate it.

I would give this post 1000 likes...

When you are in the business of making money, and you have a dedicated and diverse customer base (which Star Wars is, since it's the DOM GA), you don't look to alienate ANY part of it, at least intentionally.  That means you do the old "Hollywood say nothing" responses when you get any questions that risk alienating any of those fans, and when they complain, you let them WITHOUT stepping in to referee or dispute them.  You let the movies speak for themselves and let folks find what they love in the movies.  Different things in movies speak to folks in different ways, IF you let them...but when you tell them what they are supposed to think and why, you alienate them at the get go...

It's like the schoolmarm approach...who wants to have their ear pulled and lectured about all the things they should be getting out of the movies and why that's so good for them and everyone else.  Just make a great movie and let it speak for you.  Let all the others engage in the "politics of stupid" without drawing you into them...  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lab276 said:

This is completely incomprehensible to me.

It’s OK, you can admit I’m right. I’ve admitted when others proved me wrong.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You're aware that trolls also went after Rogue One for being "diverse," right?

and it was a small minority in the end who had no real impact on scores or boxoffice lol 

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

and it was a small minority in the end who had no real impact on scores or boxoffice lol 

They came back with a vengeance though apparently, for the next movie. They'll learn to love it eventually.

3 minutes ago, lab276 said:

I like both approaches but I’ll admit I’m not a casual fair weather fan, I’m in this as a stan. I’ll admit I’m biased in this regard.

7 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Stomping? More like taking turns

2018 Avengers: Infinity War $1,849.1
2017 Star Wars: The Last Jedi $1,332.5
2016 Captain America: Civil War $1,153.3
2015 Star Wars: The Force Awakens $2,068.2

Are you forgetting Black Panther?  Also Ultron grossed more than any Star Wars movie barring TFA.  The MCU is about to have two 700M grossers in less than 6 months - I would call that stomping.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Perhaps would have been a better movie but nowhere near as impactful on the industry. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

You must have forgotten when that men's rights (lmao) group "boycotted" The Force Awakens for having a "female Luke" (lmao) and claimed to have cost the film a whooping...$5M. :lol:

3 minutes ago, lab276 said:

They came back with a vengeance though apparently, for the next movie. They'll learn to love it eventually.

No because apart from being a stupid sexist and racist, there are legit issues with TLJ people will bash the film on forever lol 

Just now, filmlover said:

You must have forgotten when that men's rights (lmao) group "boycotted" The Force Awakens for having a "female Luke" (lmao) and claimed to have cost the film a whooping...$5M. :lol:

That is my point, I dont think these issues cost TLJ a ton of box office or lower scores, it had to do more with the film itself. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I would give this post 1000 likes...

When you are in the business of making money, and you have a dedicated and diverse customer base (which Star Wars is, since it's the DOM GA), you don't look to alienate ANY part of it, at least intentionally.  That means you do the old "Hollywood say nothing" responses when you get any questions that risk alienating any of those fans, and when they complain, you let them WITHOUT stepping in to referee or dispute them.  You let the movies speak for themselves and let folks find what they love in the movies.  Different things in movies speak to folks in different ways, IF you let them...but when you tell them what they are supposed to think and why, you alienate them at the get go...

It's like the schoolmarm approach...who wants to have their ear pulled and lectured about all the things they should be getting out of the movies and why that's so good for them and everyone else.  Just make a great movie and let it speak for you.  Let all the others engage in the "politics of stupid" without drawing you into them...  

Im still not sure what they actually did to alienate the fans. The explanations ive seen are pretty thin at best. TFA was total garbage, but they seemed to like that, TLJ wasnt great but it was no worse than any prequel. Nothing in TLJ was offensive if you are a sane, rational human being.

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

Are you forgetting Black Panther?  Also Ultron grossed more than any Star Wars movie barring TFA.  The MCU is about to have two 700M grossers in less than 6 months - I would call that stomping.

It only matters who wins the year and I don't see Ultron at the top of the list.

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

No because apart from being a stupid sexist and racist, there are legit issues with TLJ people will bash the film on forever lol 

I'm not sure of going on about TLJ is a bannable offence or not, but what issues did people have with TLJ that were legit? We can take it to the RTM thread if need to.