Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

13 minutes ago, Alli said:

Sw was never big OS.  And it's hard for people to start the series now after so many past movies they didn't watch

Neither were superhero films. At best you had 50-50 bo grosses say from the first spider man or even the dark knight, older superhero films like donner’s Superman and burton’s Batman were more skewed towards the u.s. The MCU basically changed that and now almost every superhero movie, even the non MCU ones, is reaping the rewards.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Im curious if Bumblebee will even be able to pass 100m come December. 

Worldwide? Sure. Maybe even somehow it crosses the 200M WW. DOM? Lol no way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Bumblebee will even be able to pass 100m come December.  Franchises are abundant enough now that people are fine giving them a pass.  

It probably won’t. There’s too much competition. On the family side, you have Spiderverse and Poppins (both will likely be better and bigger) along with holdovers from Grinch and Ralph 2, and on the other side it deals with Aquaman (won’t be big but around Justice League/Doctor Strange numbers (due to no big action movie since October) seems right) and flops like Alita and Mortal Engines which will take away screens. Not to mention, I think the GA doesn’t care about Transformers anymore.

I am curious to see how audiences respond to Dark Phoenix.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Watching Iron Man 3. Lets see how this holds up. 

Btw why does it say Paramount before Iron Man 3 when it was distributed by Disney? 

We needed more time with Eiffel 65.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Neither were superhero films. At best you had 50-50 bo grosses say from the first spider man or even the dark knight, older superhero films like donner’s Superman and burton’s Batman were more skewed towards the u.s. The MCU basically changed that and now almost every superhero movie, even the non MCU ones, is reaping the rewards.

Exactly.

Superheroes are a thing overseas only the last 5 years. SW had the same opportunity to reach bigger audience but it was missed. So for me no matter in what way the trilogy concludes, it will be a failure.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

true but SH movies went from not much interest to spike in interest to sustained interest, while SW went from not as much interest as in HP/LOTR to spike in interest with TFA to interest dropping like a rock. 

@The Futurist is right that euphoria over TFA dom overlooked the fact that LA and Asia didn't catch fire as much as traditional markets and those new markets reverted into ignoring SW from RO onward. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Even the original Iron Man skewed more domestically than internationally. It's honestly astonishing that a B-list superhero with a washed up actor opened to 100 million back in 2008. Really speaks to how damn good that movie was and that it spoke to audiences in unexpected ways, and Marvel continues to do that ten years later: give audiences what they want even when they don't know they want it.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, John Marston said:

for some reason the prevailing notion everywhere else seems to be that Justice League is the bigger bomb than this. Why? 

1) The fact that it is a giant budget is less obvious

2) Critical reception is often taken into account in the perception of failure, 71% vs 40% on RT

3) For Americans oversea performance has yet to be fully integrated in the movie box office performances mindset.

5 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

That's the thing with prequels too -- no one's in any really hurry to go see them.

I went to see Black Panther partly because I had to see it before Infinity War came out. Had Black Panther been a prequel, I would have never went to see it (waiting for DVD instead)

That's just me but I think that, in general, no one's in a rush to see Solo. Add to that that it was seen as largely unnecessary, and that we live in a post-TLJ world, and yeah this shouldn't really be too surprising when you stop and think about it

Much of that applies also to Rogue One though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Btw why does it say Paramount before Iron Man 3 when it was distributed by Disney? 

When Disney bought Marvel, they allowed Paramount to put their logo in the front and get a small cut. 

I think Bumblebee  can make some decent money.  It reminds me of Herbie fully loaded with Lindsay Lohan that was a success back in 2005

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $66,023,816    45.8%
Foreign:  $78,123,000    54.2%

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Part of a deal Disney made with Paramount for distribution of The Avengers and Iron Man 3 involved a cash pay out to Paramount, the Paramount logo at the start of those films and I think a percentage of the gross? Not sure about the last one.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

When Disney bought Marvel, they allowed Paramount to put their logo in the front and get a small cut. 

More like Paramount "sold" the movies for 20% cut of the box office and they would keep their logo in front of them. There were probably other money deals involved as well since those movies were originally gonna be Paramount releases even after Disney bought Marvel. Iron Man 3 was originally gonna be the last Paramount MCU release.

• Like 1