Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, Daxtreme said:

This week-end thread sure has been very entertaining. :sarah:

Speaking of your emoticon's name sake. I'm so glad that Infinity War was able to avoid the Game of Thrones' actor curse.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2

9 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

This is the only year other than 2012 where Marvel won both domestic and worldwide right?

2012 was the last year they won domestically.  They have been third every year since then, with the exception of 2017

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

Speaking of your emoticon's name sake. I'm so glad that Infinity War was able to avoid the Game of Thrones' actor curse.

I don’t think the actors really are cursed but I do know when I see any GOT actor now I just see their character.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Anyone else think there is something morbid about seeing the prequel starring a character audiences saw die 2.5 years ago? I wonder if that might be a factor. 

Actually I think it was a terrible idea to release this prequel AFTER the character died. I've been thinking that for months. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Actually I think it was a terrible idea to release this prequel AFTER the character died. I've been thinking that for months. 

They probably would have milked ford for some old Han spinoff if his involvement in TFA hadn’t basically been contingent upon killing the character.

3 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

2012 was the last year they won domestically.  They have been third every year since then, with the exception of 2017

IM3 came second domestically in 2013. 

5 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Can't wait for his video and Collider's

The real delight in watching their videos is seeing them squirm trying to avoid being too critical - avoid talking about the biggest elephant in the room (so many fans hated TLJ) - for fear of being blacklisted by Disney and disinvited to their premieres/events etc etc.

A Quiet Place has cleared 300 million.

Peter Rabbit is over 340 million.

RPO looks to have stalled just short of 600 million, a terrific haul.

Truth or Dare has cleared 80 million WW

Blockers might hit 60 million domestic and 90 WW

And my favourite story of the year so far is that Book Club dropped just 30% this weekend and will likely make a push for 60 million when all is said and done.  I'm not sure what kind of raction it will get overseas, but it would be really cool to see it get to 100 million WW.

As For Deadpool, it's doing well internationally and even though it fell harshly this weekend domestically, it still has a chance to hit 300.  There are those in here who disagree and that's fine,but it should stabalize in the coming weeks.  It also still has Japan and Hong Kong to open in and those two markets added 27 million to the original.  Even if you get 80% of the gross of the original, DP has a shot at 700 WW.  Pretty nice haul for a sequel.  Deadpool, in spite of what some of the posters say here, will be an incredible profitable film for Fox and dP3 and or X-force looks to be in good shape.  If they could ever get Wolverine to make a movie with DP, I think it would do even better than the first.  

IW looks like it will clear 2 billion but not get past TFA.  I'm happy on both counts for that.

As for Solo, there's a plethora or reasons as to why it failed.  As someone on Deadline said, the numbers for a spin off are actually quite decent, but not for a SW spinoff and especially not one that cost 250-300 million to make. 

Episode 8 clearly contributed to this and imo Ep 9 has to go back to being more closely related to TFA that TLJ.  And that's all I have to say about that.

Breaking In looks like it will make 43-45 million domestically.  Not quite the same success as other Will Packer films but a success nonetheless.  With a budget of about six million, it's in good shape. 

Overboard is at 52 million world wide and 42 in NA.  That's more than i thought it would do, nice haul overall.  

Rampage looks to end with around 420 million.  A terrific success and I think this makes it by far the most successful video game adaptation.

As for the Die Hard and Towering Inferno mutation, Skyscraper is going to do really well this summer, imo. I think it has a shot at 200 million.  It just looks awesome.

And JW is being underestimated here imo.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, baumer said:

As for the Die Hard and Towering Inferno mutation, Skyscraper is going to do really well this summer, imo. I think it has a shot at 200 million.  It just looks awesome.

And JW is being underestimated here imo.

Skyscraper looks like pure summer escapism.

And the Jurassic Park franchise will show in the coming weeks that underestimating it isnt the brightest idea :)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

But that might be part of the problem see Igor already pushing a few years back for an earlier as planed / aimed for release of SW 7 see e.g. comments of some here, something he needed it early for a stockholder thingie.

Maybe needed for explaining the costs/the project for Disneyland Shanghai and/or ....

I can not remember if I have something stored out of the usual sources for myself then, but it is maybe a thing to think about.

the different interests / reasons why - in this case - SW get which release dates, which kind of ads and so on. The different departments at Disney might have all their own reasons for pushing for this and that

Yea seems to me Disney liked how Marvel and Pixar operated, mostly independently within Disney, delivering big budget hits without need of micromanagement. And saw the opportunity for same with Star Wars, but it just hasn't worked out the same with lots of behind-the-scenes drama, clashing visions and the like. I bet the actual working situation there is worse than we realize, money's already been spent and lots of spinoffs in prep and now this

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Barnack said:

To who that this information could possibly matter did it do that ?

Everyone saw it I think, Rogue One was an obvious attempt to change that, it is not like Disney didn't knew about this and didn't try to do something about it.

How was RO an obvious attempt? By sticking more token characters in unmemorable roles? Tokenism doesn't work abroad.

Look at Coco. That movie was not token and it blew the lid off Chinese and Mexican boxoffice because it respected Mexican culture while China related to values in Mexican culture that are similar to theirs.

If sticking a Mexican into the movie as another generic Han wannabe (after Han Wannabe jacketed Poe and Finn) and relegating a Chinese superstar to playing a tertiary Shaolin Monk Stereotype is their attempt to attract those markets, than they deserve to flop. It's lazy af and those markets did right to ignore that shit.  

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2