Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, harrycaul said:

You've got 4 or 5 people accounting for most of the last few pages. Knock yourselves out.

It's a box office thread for the weekend. What do you expect people to talk about besides numbers for the weekend? And yes that includes discussing how Solo is a bomb. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I meant it's not a hot take because Aladdin isn't going over $300M. I worded it badly 

Ah but yeah, Disney’s MD curse, Avengers 4 might suck the air of everything and a jam packed summer, and the possibility of it not being appealing to audiences, things won’t fair well for it.

DOFP didn't break any records but did very well over the 4-day beating expectations. Had a 35.5 od including 8.1 previews. The 90.8 3-day / 110.6 4-day looking out of reach for SOLO. Globally did almost 750 ww. One of the successes of Mem Day weekend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been trying to tell you "Solo" was going to be a flop-turkey for months now. Few listened. Now the crows are pecking at the corpse.

Star Wars fatigue big time. Disney was pushing their luck with yearly releases as it was, but 5 months? Insane. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Imo the budget talk is misguided, how low Solo is going is proving them right to have tried and spend a lot of money to fix the movie, because of how much is in stake.

Disney licensing/retail segment is nearly 5000 millions a year revenues business, and that does not take into account the franchises feeding the parks attendance. Not sure it is the place to try to save money, movie budget on those, you paid 2,000 million + 2,000m in stock dilution to get them anyway, if you end up doing 10 movies they start at 400m by movie.

The fact that it exist a world were Solo could do just 500m instead of an easy to imagine world where it does 900m (450dbo/450intl) and help all the other business at the same time and generate a possible Lando movie or a sequel or a tv series for the streaming platform..... Show the wide range of possible and one has a business you would agree to spend an extra 50m, 100m, 150m to try to reach the second one.

A successful Star Wars universe is decade of billions of dollar of business, tv show on the streaming platform, toys & video games, etc... that why they drop half of those and reshoot them from almost scratch if needed, you do not jeopardize that for 50-100m.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, A2k Raptor said:

DOFP didn't break any records but did very well over the 4-day beating expectations. Had a 35.5 od including 8.1 previews. The 90.8 3-day / 110.6 4-day looking out of reach for SOLO. Globally did almost 750 ww. One of the successes of Mem Day weekend.

Exactly. But MDW is "cursed" and "bad." 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Clayman said:

Wasn't it Perlmutter who wanted $275M budget and Pascal and Feige both pushed back?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-homecoming-how-sony-learned-cede-control-marvel-1015408

Yea my bad, read it a super long time ago. But Pascal is/was no longer with Sony, she's an independent producer now

4 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

I think Memorial Day can be successful but it just has to the right film. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

And especially one with good reviews (if they are similar to US/UK scores)...

Like others have said, it would be similar to ST:Beyond except Star Trek never had a TFA/TLJ megahit.

A friend of mine tried to explain it as if someone sat you down and had you watch a really weak episode of season 4 of a series they really liked.  All the backstory, the callbacks, inside jokes, etc are completely lost on you, and it gets increasingly awkward as it's clear you don't like it.

Something that sort of threw me for a loop: he had no idea who Yoda was.  I was like how can you not know who Yoda is!  He's a part of pop culture!  He was sort of generally aware he existed but he is relatively young and foreign born, so him appearing as a ghost out of literally nowhere, talking like a Muppet with broken English and throwing lightning bolts seemed deeply stupid to him.  And I couldn't really defend it.  It is sort of stupid.

Without the nostalgia element it's just a new scifi franchise that had a lot of initial hype that it didn't live up to.  A lot of foreign audiences are as excited to see Solo as Americans are to see a prequel about the Tars Tarkas from John Carter of Mars.

• Like 1

Talking about small gaps, and not talking about Matrix 2 & 3, I think POTC3's 10.5 month gap from POTC2 was itself a bit less. Should have come later, well away from SM3 and SHREK3.