WrathOfHan

Wednesday Numbers: Solo 4.9M | Deadpool 3.9M | Book Club 1.6M | Infinity War 1.5M

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It held very well after that though. As we've established, a big second weekend drop for MD openers is basically inescapable. DOFP got pretty good WOM and legs after that, and it definitely was the closest X-Men has come to making a film in the franchise a must see again since X3. Solo is the anti-thesis of "must see." Very slim chance it holds as well as DOFP. It also has way more competition after week 2 with I2, FK, and AMATW coming to send it to a quick grave. 

X-Men DOFP had to contend with a 70M opener in Maleficent the very next week whereas Solo has free reign this week and next week O8 opens but it's opening will be between 35-50M, again not a mega opener. After that Solo has competition but so did DOFP. DOFP DOM is a very good bet right now and it's not missing 200M anyway.

Just now, terrestrial said:

Why should he? Its not a new release, its not making huge amounts in relation to other days in the calendar, it's about a SH movie (that he isn't into, beside very few exceptions), he still writes about it if e.g. reaching a new round milestone number or surpassed another kind of milestone.

Only bcs we want those numbers, does not mean a certain # about movie xy is of the same interest for the non-fan writer at a magazine

Umm because he's had the numbers for it every single day of the week since it's been released and considering he spent a whole article talking about said movie (even giving his predictions for it throughout the weekend) you would think he had the number.

Its not that big a deal. Just odd that we don't have the number for it whether provided by Scott or in general.  

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Pirates 5 had better legs than DOFP.  I guess that was even more "must see" than DOFP:lol:

Much smaller OW too though. And P5 did have great late legs. Please don't ask me why, I'm completely clueless why WOM would have been anything resembling good for it. Point is, it was already posting stronger holds than Solo is this week and it still fell 65% in its second weekend too. All Solo has is this weekend and the next to make up any ground. It's all over for it after that. Neither DOFP or P5 had to deal with two potential 400+ grossers and another 250+ one in such a short time frame. In fact, 22 Jump Street, Dragon 2, and Transfromers 4 is what DOFP was up against in the same time frame, and all three may only combine to like 50m more than I2. 

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Pirates 5 had better legs than DOFP.  I guess that was even more "must see" than DOFP:lol:

Tbf, Barbossa is more of a must see than Magneto vs. Xavier Part ‘I lost count’

• Like 2

Pirates 5 also had very little to compete with. WW dominated all of June while everything else pretty much failed to make any dent. Again, Solo will be going up against 3 consecutive releases that will combine to well over $1b DOM after week 3. 

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Umm because he's had the numbers for it every single day of the week since it's been released and considering he spent a whole article talking about said movie (even giving his predictions for it throughout the weekend) you would think he had the number.

Its not that big a deal. Just odd that we don't have the number for it whether provided by Scott or in general.  

He didn't even have the up to date WW numbers maybe he didn't have the Wed numbers since he w/e number looks like he threw a dart at the wall.

It's not a movie he liked let alone loved so we're not going to get daily updates for it.  Instead well get passive aggressive updates like - it might drag itself to $2B and as of Monday it was domestically the 49th highest movie adjusted for inflation. :lol:

• Like 1

Oh Scott   

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was the biggest-grossing movie ever to make more than 50% of its money in North America, and it remains only the second $1 billion+ earner (after The Dark Knight) to make more domestic than overseas.

4 hours ago, nevermore said:

Love it:

Box-office observers expect Solo to gross north of $60 million for the weeked

Solo 3 days weekend FSS was of 70.32m (14.1m previews)

A north of 60m, say 61m that would be a true 3 days drop of only 13%

4.0+ multi here we come......

Which observers, most if not all will have it in a 25-42m type of range.

• Haha 2

Just now, PPZVGOS said:

I think it's safe to assume that DP2 is a lock for $300M domestic. 

DP2's second Wed is equal to that of the original's.

Feb v May. 

Highly doubtful DP2 gets a similar 130% Friday boost this week when last Friday was 79%

• Like 1

Btw, where's that DP2 under 250m club a lot of us were mocking? It's actually got a very tiny shot of happening based on the multis of comparable second weekend CBM drops. I still doubt it does, but DP2 holds just keep being bad, and the competition will prevent any late legs. Will probably finish 15-20m over that mark, but that club definitely wasn't so crazy after all. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Btw, where's that DP2 under 250m club a lot of us were mocking? It's actually got a shot of happening based on the multis of comparable second weekend CBM drops. I still doubt it does, but DP2 holds just keep being bad, and the competition will prevent any late legs. Will probably finish 10-20m over that mark, but that club definitely wasn't so crazy after all. 

That has no chance of happening

It's at $227.75m as of Wed.  It will be over $230m going into a probable $20m w/e

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Since Disney has come out and blamed the release date for Solo’s failure does this mean they will probably make changes to their schedule next year? 

"Thanksgiving openers blamed on Episode 9 underperformance "