Asyulus

INCREDIBLES 2 Weekend |🏆| ACTUALS: 182.7M OW | O8 19M, Tag 14.9M, Solo 10M, DP2 8.7M, IW 5.4M

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Pretty much the theory that without Disney the box office would be dead this year is correct. 

Pretty sure without Disney Marvel Studio , Star Wars, Pixar would still all exist. No Wrinkle in time maybe.

• Like 2

Awesome for Incredibles 2, I hope Solo can somehow make more money meanwhile.

I just realized that Incredibles 2 will be the first PG rated film I've seen in theaters since Lego Batman, dang I guess I didn't see a lot of family films last year! (I'm seeing Incredibles 2 today)

This has been a great year for Disney (Avengers 3 was great, still not as good as Thor 3 which was my favorite one, I'm seeing Jurassic World 2 next week)

3 minutes ago, Impact said:

Awesome for Incredibles 2, I hope Solo can somehow make more money meanwhile.

I just realized that Incredibles 2 will be the first PG rated film I've seen in theaters since Lego Batman, dang I guess I didn't see a lot of family films last year! (I'm seeing Incredibles 2 today)

This has been a great year for Disney (Avengers 3 was great, still not as good as Thor 3 which was my favorite one, I'm seeing Jurassic World 2 next week)

You haven’t seen COCO in theatres?!?! :sarah:

I didn't see Coco because...nobody else wanted to see it at the time (I'm glad I didn't see it in November though when they had the 30 minute short that should of been made for TV)

I didn't see Moana till last Thanksgiving either. (My nephew is 15 he doesn't want to see princess movies, I don't have a niece so yeah)

Incredible for the Incredibles 2 and superheroes reign with an iron fist at the box office, even for animation films. Infinity war will have a fantastic weekend too and I don’t think that JW2 will crush its late legs or anything, there’s still life in it. 

Next weekend should be fun....

24 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Pretty sure without Disney Marvel Studio , Star Wars, Pixar would still all exist. No Wrinkle in time maybe.

Sure they'd exist, I seriously doubt Marvel or Star wars would be doing anything though

• ...wtf 1

10 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Sure they'd exist, I seriously doubt Marvel or Star wars would be doing anything though

Marvel would likely still have Pearlmutter pulling his shenanagans on the movie side.

Next week, Disney becomes the first studio in history to break $2B in the domestic box office before the first half of the year is finished. 

Edit: Disney 2018 is only the 7th time a studio has broken $2B at the domestic box office in a calendar year, making it even more impressive. 

Edited by kswiston
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Marvel started the MCU prior to being bought by Disney, they'd still be kicking.

IM1 was with Pramount and SMH was with Sony. Tough to play the hypothetical game but MCU could have been MCU even without Disney. Pixar was already golden before merger with Disney. SW before Disney was epic and in fact Solo is the first SW flop ever. True, TFA was epic at the BO but so were a few of the pre-Disney SWs.

But will give big props to Disney around how they nurtured WDAS post Pixar merger by crossing over talent.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Incredible Panda said:

Marvel started the MCU prior to being bought by Disney, they'd still be kicking.

Sure though in what shape?  Feige might have moved on if Permutter was still in charge - it's what he threatened in 2015 that got Ike kicked out of the movie division.  They also wouldn't have near the budgets  or marketing.  They were already chaffing under Paramount as a distributor pre Disney.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Not sure what would be so different.

You think Lucas does not find a buyer in a Disneyless world or that the buyer would not be making as many movies ? Same for Marvel ?

The buyer would probably not be as good as moneytizing those (Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel if they would have sold instead of staying indie and still doing movies) from the toys to the Park, but on the movie side it could be quite the same, worst or better not sure on that side how one can calculate that.

And if they would be doing nothing right now on a pause, people would have not feared those disney event weekend/months and not released anything in them as much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a2k said:

IM1 was with Pramount and SMH was with Sony. Tough to play the hypothetical game but MCU could have been MCU even without Disney. Pixar was already golden before merger with Disney. SW before Disney was epic and in fact Solo is the first SW flop ever. True, TFA was epic at the BO but so were a few of the pre-Disney SWs.

But will give big props to Disney around how they nurtured WDAS post Pixar merger by crossing over talent.

I don't think that it's an accident that MCU international grosses went through the roof as soon as Disney took over. Also, ignoring the fact that it is very unlikely that Marvel would still be independent by now if Disney didn't snap them up, and independent MCU would have had Perlmutter ruining things. RDJ would have gotten the boot. Feige might have bailed by now due to his conflict with Permutter. We wouldn't have some of the films we are getting recently. Definitely not in the forms that we got them. 

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

They also wouldn't have near the budgets  or marketing.

Captain america 1 got an over 200m budget before Disney, Sony was giving over 300m budget to the Raimi/Amazing Spider Man 1-2 and over 200m in world release P&A,

If they would have had that kind of box office I think they would be getting big budget and big marketing, the only think almost certain is the post theatrical windows would not be handled as well to the park attraction, the rest good luck creating a what if simulation for such a chaotic world.

• Like 1

Solo went up 0.335m from Deadline's estimate of 2.0m.  Maybe this jump similar with A Wrinkle in Time's +700k jump.  

My original prediction of the 2.0m estimate was (+60%) 3.2 (---) 3.2 = 8.4.

New prediction, 

2.335 (+50%) + 3.5025 + 3.5025 = 9.34

• Like 2

7 hours ago, a2k said:

2010 TS3 3.76x (ow had 4.1 previews)

2016 FD 3.60x (ow had 9.2 previews)

2018 I2 ? (ow had 18.5 previews)

I don't think I2 will crack 3.5x. It will in small part behave like a CBM with strong legs nonetheless being a well received animation.

I1 "only" did 3.7x afterall (nov 2004, no previews). Nemo had done 4.8x+ the year before (summer 2003, no previews).

Thinking 162.5* 3.25 = 528.1

TS3 and FD both had just A Cinemascores.     

Out of the previous 6 A+ Pixar flicks, (Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., Nemo, Incredibles, Up, Coco) the worst multis is Incredibles 1 with some 3.7.      

It should play something like a mix of Avengers 1 and Incredibles 1 in terms of audience composition, so I’m thinking maybe 3.2-3.6 legs.     

With a 180 opening that would be 576-648. Hopefully it lands at 621, 622ish for... reasons.

Edited by Thanos Legion