WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Saw Ant-Man and the Wasp.  Give Michael Pena his own spinoff movie and also I loved it and it’s better than Infinity War.

Thank you. Agree with everything you said - Pena was the best part about the movie for me. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

We're seriously getting concerned over an A- Cinemascore? That's a thing we're doing now? Okay then.

I can remember a time long ago when this forum scoffed at Cinemascore...like, two or three months ago. :nudgewink:

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

What is everyone predicting for next week's openers? I really can't see Skyscraper opening much higher than Rampage did at this point.

HT3: $41M

Skyscraper: $32M

Perhaps I'm severely underestimating The Rock's appeal (and I say this as someone who generally really likes his work), but I just don't see Skyscraper being a huge hit. I'm expecting something in the low-30s. It seems like a similar case to fellow Die Hard spiritual successor White House Down: a star-driven film with an intriguing premise that seems too generic to break out in a significant way.

1 minute ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah but we need to find something to have a meltdown over though

I guess I shouldn't rain on the meltdown parade. 

Anyway, personally because it's a sequel I'm not expecting a 100mil off of 11mil previews but as always I'm wrong plenty so I could easily be wrong again. Either way, good opening.

Skyscraper looks a little cheesy with a second look at the trailer and how they show so much of the movie again and again.  I think this one will play against tracking like Ant-Man 2 did this weekend.  I don't see Skyscraper opening under 3 million previews, and as an action homage to films such as Die Hard, I think the odds of this opening to 40m or past are greater than the odds of it getting to 35m OW or under.

HT3 should benefit as being a fun animated movie with good reviews.  Peter Rabbit, Sherlock Gnomes, and Incredibles 2 are the only other animated movies to open this year, and I think HT3 will open rather large and eventually catch up to Incredibles in the dailies in August sometime.  Regardless of WOM, 2nd weekend hold could be strong against Mamma Mia and Equalizer then creating a possible 50% drops the next weekend against Teen Titans and Mi6.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

So Ant Man is seriously about some guy who what, dresses up as an ant?  Shrinks to the size of an ant? Has an army of ants? Imagine paying for that. 

HE BREATHES INTO A FAN TOO and the film garnered greater walkup business vs tracking than JW (I think lol)

3 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

So Ant Man is seriously about some guy who what, dresses up as an ant?  Shrinks to the size of an ant? Has an army of ants? Imagine paying for that. 

Star Wars is seriously about wacking people with laser pointers?

Infinity War is seriously about a purple grape man collecting magical gemstones to balance the universe?

Avatar is seriously Pocahontas in space where Man is trying to get a cool rock called unobtanium?

Titanic is seriously about a ship hitting an iceberg and sinking and a couple that doesn’t know how to fit two people on plank of wood?

Who’d pay for those movies?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, scoobysaurus said:

Thank you. Agree with everything you said - Pena was the best part about the movie for me. 

It was nice seeing vets like Fishburne, Douglas, and Phiferflex some blockbustsr muscle too.

Also everyone talks about Marvel being jokey stuff but these movies have ample heart too.

45 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Perhaps I'm severely underestimating The Rock's appeal (and I say this as someone who generally really likes his work), but I just don't see Skyscraper being a huge hit. I'm expecting something in the low-30s. It seems like a similar case to fellow Die Hard spiritual successor White House Down: a star-driven film with an intriguing premise that seems too generic to break out in a significant way.

Hmm looks likeHollywoodis testing The Rock's star power with a bland,  cookie cutter recipe.