CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

Friday to Friday declines % avg. tickets purchased

-37% Smallfoot

-58% Night School

-40% House/Clock

-36% ASF

-30% Nun

-62% Hell

-22% Crazy

-58% Predator

-46% WBR

+22% Searching

-36% Peppermint

-53% Christopher Robin

-24% Mi6

+63% Incredibles

-33% Unbroken

-20% Ant-Man

Saturday jumps should be about the same as last week.  +80% Smallfoot maxing out at +90% House/Clock.

All the rest around +55% including Night School.  ASF likely going to push +40% with Hellfest while the rest go to that 55 spot.

Sunday drops between -20% and -30%, and or +10% over Friday's #s on the holdovers.

Edited by dtairdryZid

49 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

So this is coming in for a PTA around 6.5k this weekend. The Wife did 6.7k on its third expansion with 30 more theaters, and Leave No Trace did almost 11k in 12 fewer theaters. The 600 theater expansion on the 19th will definitely be the widest it goes.

42 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Will Gerard beat Jamie tho? :thinking: 

:sparta: 

17 minutes ago, dtairdryZid said:

-37% Smallfoot

-58% Night School

-40% House/Clock

-36% ASF

-30% Nun

-62% Hell

-22% Crazy

-58% Predator

-46% WBR

+22% Searching

-36% Peppermint

-53% Christopher Robin

-24% Mi6

+63% Incredibles

-33% Unbroken

-20% Ant-Man

Saturday jumps should be about the same as last week.  +80% Smallfoot maxing out at +90% House/Clock.

All the rest around +55% including Night School.  ASF likely going to push +40% with Hellfest while the rest go to that 55 spot.

Sunday drops between -20% and -30%, and or +10% over Friday's #s on the holdovers.

How did you calculate this?

People get so rooted in their original prediction that once it's clear they are wrong the just nudge in that direction but try to stay as close to their original prediction as possible.  This is why you had people on this forum and Gitesh, etc still saying 50-55M even after the 10M Thursday. 

Once you realize you are wrong about something you will do better forgetting your original prediction and looking at it again fresh.

People are off Monday and this IS getting good WOM/buzz.  85M+ in my mind is quite likely and higher possible if it plays well with kids/matinees which it seems to be in this area at least

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm glad people are paying less attention to obvious clickbait articles. All these dumb "Catwoman 2.0" comparisons.  Fuck these little shitty blog sites,  go see the movie and judge for yourself..   and that's what happened.  

That comparison was first made (and only made really) by Danielrpk on twitter. I've been saying it and I'll say it again. That dude sucks.  He purposely broke the embargo to say all those shitty things about Venom, then made a cheeky excuse of "oops." That guy SHOULD NOT be allowed to early screenings ever again. I would fucking blacklist him

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

How did you calculate this?

take the Friday per screen average of this Friday, Fri(1) and divide it by last Friday's per screen average, Fri(2).  then subtract by 1 and multiply by 100%.

Edited by dtairdryZid

2 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

That comparison was first made (and only made really) by Danielrpk on twitter. I've been saying it and I'll say it again. That dude sucks.  He purposely broke the embargo to say all those shitty things about Venom, then made a cheeky excuse of "oops." That guy SHOULD NOT be allowed to early screenings ever again. I would fucking blacklist him

The reality is that you would think Comic Book fans would ignore people like that since theyre wrong more times than not. Then again I guess an opinion cannot technically be wrong. My point is that comic book fans should stop holding what these guys say as if it's 100% fact. These bloggers only want clicks and acting like they have scoops or saying exaggerated things about films gets them clicks. I mean this guy has been endlessly trashing Dark Phoenix and talking about awful it is when the finished product isn't even done yet. Anyone who knows anything about film making knows that a movie months before release isn't always the movie that gets released. Editing things in or taking things out, effects etc make a difference. But would saying that get someone like Danielrpk clicks? No. talking about how AWFUL something is will though. 

Lastly, we actually don't know if that Danielrpk guy even attends any screenings what so ever.

Edited by Nova
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Next week I'm predicting First Man to open with $25M (for a third place launch), Goosebumps with $15M, Bad Times at the El Royale with $10M.

Shame that Bad Times at the El Royale looks to be a casualty of a jam packed October 

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm thinking Venom will stay at #1 with around $32-34M (and A Star is Born is #2 with around $30M unless it has a crazy hold). WOM isn't great but it's better than the likes of Batman v Superman, Fantastic Four '15, etc.

I think Venom will be 60-65% drop, ASIB I can see having a small drop 

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

Shame that Bad Times at the El Royale looks to be a casualty of a jam packed October 

I'm really looking forward to it but I imagine it doesn't have a very broad audience. The marketing isn't clear as to what the film is about (most likely because they want to keep the twists a surprise).

45 minutes ago, dtairdryZid said:

-37% Smallfoot

-58% Night School

-40% House/Clock

-36% ASF

-30% Nun

-62% Hell

-22% Crazy

-58% Predator

-46% WBR

-36% Peppermint

updated - # is avg. purchases per theater

4,250  Venom   577.4  
3,686  Star/Born   368.8  
3,019  Night School 128.1 -56%
4,131  Smallfoot 94.1 -35%
3,456  House/Clock 57.1 -40%
2,408  Simple Favor 48.4 -36%
2,264  The Nun   37.8 -30%
2,297  Hellfest   29.6 -61%
1,466  Crazy   45.4 -22%
1,643  Predator   16.2 -58%
880  White Boy Rick 21.4 -47%