CJohn

The Dark Tower | August 4, 2017 | McConaughey, Elba | Reviews coming in, it's a bomb etc. etc. - we know this drill by now

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

ok but forgettable trailer. imo elba does not have the gravitas for such a role and mcconaughey seed out of place too.

But that's what he's most famous for, isn't it?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

Are you sure about that?

100% positive.  

This has the King name, plus two likable leads and a very big following for the source material.  For this to be a bomb it would have to make less than 120 million WW.  Do you really think that's going to happen?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

100% positive.  

This has the King name, plus two likable leads and a very big following for the source material.  For this to be a bomb it would have to make less than 120 million WW.  Do you really think that's going to happen?

It might be close. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, baumer said:

100% positive.  

I doubt that this is going to be a hit outside the USA+Canada. And I have my doubts about its domestic performance.

• Like 1

I was looking forward to it, but damn, that trailer was pretty bad. Villain named "The Man in Black", the kid, end of the world stakes, the superhero-y vibe... sounds like a generic YA adaptation.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I was looking forward to it, but damn, that trailer was pretty bad. Villain named "The Man in Black", the kid...

I'm with you on the kid situation, but "The Man in Black" will be a familiar character to many Stephen King fans (and he might be the second writer most likely to boost BO, after JK Rowling).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

ok but forgettable trailer. imo elba does not have the gravitas for such a role and mcconaughey seed out of place too.

is that you rocha?

Edited by Neno
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tele Came Back said:

I know what you mean, but it still seems so weird. People get so caught up in all these marketing assumptions. I'm a grown-up. There are plenty of movies featuring (or starring) kids that I love and enjoy. 

Yeah, but its all about expectations. 

Mad Mad: Fury Road marketing that had the seed lady front-and-center would be a little confusing. Why is the marketing for this bad-ass, heavy-action movie focusing on this 70 year old lady?

Similarly, if you hadn't read the books but had a general idea of the story, you'd probably be expecting a genre-bending, rated R semi-western about this bad-ass gunslinger and his companions. You might be vaguely aware that there was a kid in the story, but having that kid be front-and-center in the marketing would be off-putting. Because the implications for what to expect from the movie, given that the marketing is focusing on this kid, might really fly in the face of the expectations you probably had for the tone and content of the movie prior to seeing the marketing. Its a tonal misstep.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wrath said:

Similarly, if you hadn't read the books but had a general idea of the story, you'd probably be expecting a genre-bending, rated R semi-western about this bad-ass gunslinger and his companions. You might be vaguely aware that there was a kid in the story, but having that kid be front-and-center in the marketing would be off-putting, because the implications of the marketing putting a kid at the center of its marketing would really fly in the face of the expectations you probably had for the tone and content of the movie.

This is like saying LOTR shouldn't have featured Sam in any of the marketing because it would be confusing and offputting to have two small people in the movie. 

Jake is not some side character or companion. He is one of the most important characters in the story.

I'd argue that such expectations don't match up with much of King's material because he *frequently* has child protagonists in major roles. 

• Like 6

As someone who have never read the book(s), the trailer doesn't make me terribly excited to see this. It lacks scope, where are the the exciting moments? It looks like a duel between two people, basically.