sfran43

Weekend Thread: Hunter Killer - $420K preview

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, that post Baby Driver bump is a stunner

Ansel Elgort

Date Title (click to view) Studio Lifetime Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Rank
8/17/18 Billionaire Boy's Club VE $1,349 - n/a - 8
12/8/17 November Criminals VE n/a - n/a - 10

hey, you know well that those movies were problematic. His next one The Goldfinch is gonna make a killing. Not even talking about the Spielberg joint

Edited by Alli

Just now, TalismanRing said:

If so it won't be because of Elgort but the source material

hey...he got cast. the producers saw his BO potential. i think he's mediocre actor, but you can't deny he's building quite the resume

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
6 hours ago, Krissykins said:

He’s smoking crack with this guess lol

5 hours ago, AJG said:

@Shawn

you smoking crack?

4 hours ago, terrestrial said:

They also write it can change a lot especially at that release date time frame.

Better stay conservative and enjoy the more than be disappointed is my prefered POV, so I am happy with that (for today 😉 )

@terrestrialnailed it. ;)

To clarify, these numbers are not "guesses" but are derived from Boxoffice's tracking models. Granted, interpretation of any variable data is up to mere mortals (like all forms of tracking you read about, no matter how definitive it comes across).

If you read the report, Aquaman's range extends up to as much as $60 million based on what we're seeing -- which would be a pretty big start for a December release that won't be as front-loaded as most comic book movies tend to be when opening at other points in the year.

Our goal is only to report what the data shows up to that point with as little bias as possible. I generally like to err on the side of caution with movies that show any signs of vulnerability or marketplace disadvantage because businesses make decisions based on those figures, and it's always better to under-project than the alternative. That's why we add written analysis for fuller context.

giphy.gif

(Still love you though,  @Krissykins);)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'll take elgort over chalamet I GUESS. lakeith stanfield is the only male actor under thirty consistently impressing me these days tho.

Caleb Landry Jones has his little oddball niche

19 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'll take elgort over chalamet I GUESS. lakeith stanfield is the only male actor under thirty consistently impressing me these days tho.

Was about to yell at you for forsaking Glen Powell but he turned 30 a week ago. Happy belated birthday, Powell.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Was about to yell at you for forsaking Glen Powell but he turned 30 a week ago. Happy belated birthday, Powell.

oh, i was wondering why i didn't see you at the party. guess you didn't get an invite.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, Alli said:

What a boring weekend.  Since there is nothing to discuss regarding the BO, i shall ask:  why is the new generation of actors so -to be blunt- ugly? The Chamalet dude, Lucas hedges...  

Where are the brad pitts, johnny depps of the 90s? What the hell happened? Are these the guys girls are lusting over these days?

I wanted to become a doctor instead of an actor. Sorry 

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

Cineplex Victoria Update

Beautiful Boy - 82 tickets all day across 4 shows (8,10,45,19)

105% of El Royale true Friday here ($800 PTA in 189 theatres for 151k Friday)

40% of First Man true Friday ($514 PTA in 189 theatres for 97k Friday)

Only playing in 189 theatres so say average $12per ticket that is approx. $186k Friday

Based on everything from 2 weeks ago, I'd say First Man way overperformed in this market. So I'd say the El Royale comp would be more accurate. Gonna guess $160k Friday off of this (guess I'll just have to wait and see how close I am in the morning)

Free Solo - 135 tickets across 4 shows (5,11,98,21)

173% of El Royale true Friday (would suggest $1380 PTA)

66% of First Man true Friday (would suggest $850 PTA)

Don't know the TC, BOM didn't update it

Obviously the fact that I barely have any comps throws anything way out of proportion. But this is suggesting a $1,000 PTA for Friday is definitely in the cards, which wouldn't be a bad drop even if the movie didn't expand into any theatres)

Mid 90's - 141 tickets across 4 shows (5, 23, 83, 30)

181% of El Royale true Friday ($1444 Friday PTA, $1.74M Friday)

69% of First Man true Friday ($885 Friday PTA, $1.067M Friday)

If this theatre is representative, that's average $12/ticket over $2M Friday (ain't happening)

I would say First Man is the more realistic comp here, but considering it looks like it overperformed here in general, I'd say this could go significantly higher than that tonight. Going to go with $1.3M Friday. 

• Like 3