3. Avengers: Infinity War

4. Crazy Rich Asians

5. A Star is Born

6. A Quiet Place

7. Halloween

8. The Meg

9. I Can Only Imagine

10. The Nun

I'd place Crazy Rich Asians, A Star is Born, A Quiet Place, and maybe even The Meg (since all signs were pointing to a flop before it opened) over Infinity War because that one was always expected to make oodles and oodles of money and lived up to those expectations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'd place Crazy Rich Asians, A Star is Born, A Quiet Place, and maybe even The Meg (since all signs were pointing to a flop before it opened) over Infinity War because that one was always expected to make oodles and oodles of money and lived up to those expectations.

Granted it was, but it still made roughly 2b WW which is insane and set an OW record (even if it wasn’t an adjusted record).  That’s much more impressive than a mid-budget hit to me.

Granted IW actually beat my expectations for it, whereas it fell short of some others here.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

No it was not literally read all the IW clubs. There were tons of people saying it'd open to under 200 million.

• Like 1

IW was not “expected” to out open TFA or even get close to 2B by the majority of users here. You can verify as much by going back and reading any thread about it. Easily a more impressive performance than any non-Disney movie this year.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

IW was not “expected” to out open TFA or even get close to 2B by the majority of users here. You can verify as much by going back and reading any thread about it. Easily a more impressive performance than any non-Disney movie this year.

probably not pre BP run, after that it was expected to open on  par or exceed TFA

I really wish Nutcracker to bomb so hard, so Disney can shake things up. They fired Rich Ross Disney Studio's chairman after John Carter flopped. Why no one is talking about Alan Horn after three mega bombs this year!!!?  I hope they bring some people from Fox after the merge to fix this embarrassment (A studio cant make a successful movie outside its big franchise and tentpoles).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PANDA said:

Most impressive BO runs this year so far

1. Black Panther

4. Crazy Rich Asians

5. A Star is Born

6. A Quiet Place

7. Halloween

8. The Meg

10. The Nun

My list would have most of the same films but in different orders.

Avengers 4 wasn’t out of the ordinary. I wouldn’t say Incredibles wasn’t expected either. 

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Finnick said:

I really wish Nutcracker to bomb so hard, so Disney can shake things up. They fired Rich Ross Disney Studio's chairman after John Carter flopped. Why no one is talking about Alan Horn after three mega bombs this year!!!?  I hope they bring some people from Fox after the merge to fix this embarrassment (A studio cant make a successful movie outside its big franchise and tentpoles).

I just wish they’d let their wealth of talented animators draw a damn feature. Disney’s entire legacy came from a pencil. It frustrates me no end that a studio who make so much money from franchises won’t put aside a few hundred million and let their artists make a proper hand drawn feature. No matter what it does. Just get back to at least giving the world a great animated film that’s made for the ages. 

I recognise it’s a business. I know their computer animation is spectacular and I know hand drawn takes so much longer.  But there’s something really sad about them not making hand drawn movies at the moment as there’s no reason for it. 

For the love of the art and the medium just stop making these expensive Nutcracker and Alice run of the mill pictures and invest it in the animation art form they have defined for generations. 

Arrrggghhh. Sorry. Rant over :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nova said:

The most impressive studio for me this year has been Warner Bros. The trifecta of The Meg, Crazy Rich Asians and A Star Is Born is/was something else 

Why not include The Nun? Granted, it wasn't well received by critics, but it made a shitload of money WW. And with FB, The Mule and Aquaman to follow that will continue. It is actually mighty impressive that the closest they got to a flop this year was that 15:17 to Paris that doubled it's budget WW anyway. The only question mark is that Head Full of Honey movie that just popped up on their November schedule.

giphy.gif

‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ Sends Thunderbolts And Lightning Through B.O. As Freddie Mercury Biopic Nears $50M Opening

Freddie Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsody is far-exceeding its opening expectations with a $48.9M 3-day

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms tanking with an estimated $20.2M stateside

Paramount has Tyler Perry’s Nobody’s Fool opening at $13.8M

Edited by KeepItU25071906
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 3

For me this year, Black Panther had the most impressive domestic run and Infinity War had BY FAR the most insane OS run.

IW beat previous all time records by 70-100%+ :wintf: in several countries which is absolutely NUTS 

I remember having so much fun with IW in China thread :sparta:

Edited by bladels
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WEEKEND B.O. FOR NOV. 2-4

THUMB RANK FILM DIS. SCREENS (CHG) FRI 3-DAY (-%) TOTAL WK
bohem-1.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 1 Bohemian Rhapsody Fox/NR/GK 4,000 $19.2M $48.9M $48.9M 1
nutcracker.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 2 Nutcracker… Dis 3,766 $6M $20.2M $20.2M 1
utp-05843r4.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 3 Nobody’s Fool Par 2,468 $5.1M $13.8M $13.8M 1
halloween-2.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 4 Halloween Uni/Mmax/Blum 3,775 (-215) $3.4M (-65%) $11.1M (-65%) $150.4M 3
a-star-is-born.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=60 5 A Star Is Born WB 3,431 (-473) $3.1M (-23%) $10.7M (-24%) $165.2M 5
venom-ii.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 6 Venom Sony 3,067 (-500) $2M (-30%) $7.5M (-30%) $198.3M 5
hunter-killer-2.jpeg?resize=500%2C281&w= 7 Hunter Killer LG 2,720 $1.2M (-53%) $4.1M (-37%) $13.6M 2
goosebumps-dos.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=60 8 Goosebumps 2 Sony 2,828 (-895) $853K (-52%) $3.6M (-50%) $44M 4
the-hate-u-give-thug-012_rgb.jpg?resize= 9 The Hate U Give Fox 1,507 (-868) $992K (-31%)  $3.5M (-31%)   $23.5M 5
smallfoot.jpg?resize=500%2C281&w=605 10 Smallfoot WB 2,002 (-660) $735K (-35%) $3.1M 
(-35%)
$76.7M 6
  • Like 2