sfran43

Weekend Thread ~ The Grinch 67m+ per DHD

26 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Bohemian Rhapsody was good but it’s no A Star Is Born. 

The performance scenes just didn’t have the same effect. That CGI crowd was so, so jarring.

But the lead actor was fantastic. His surrounding actors not so much. 

3/5. 

Funny how everyone's opinions are different - went with 6 people today & we all loved it.  And coming from someone who watched Live Aid as it was happening I was astounded at Rami - just perfection.  Glad it was no Star is Born - you couldn't pay me to watch Bradley Cooper - I'll settle for the Judy Garland or Barbara Streisand versions.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

How often is it that a film gets a 4x multiplier? I think it's great that Overlord might be getting a $10M weekend, but its production budget is $38. The film would really need a 4x multiplier to get above its budget, complement the overseas grosses, and be in the clear. I'm sure it'll help that Overlord will be the only wide-release horror option besides The Possession of Hannah Grace for the rest of 2018.

14 minutes ago, Slambros said:

How often is it that a film gets a 4x multiplier? I think it's great that Overlord might be getting a $10M weekend, but its production budget is $38. The film would really need a 4x multiplier to get above its budget, complement the overseas grosses, and be in the clear. I'm sure it'll help that Overlord will be the only wide-release horror option besides The Possession of Hannah Grace for the rest of 2018.

I enjoyed Overlord but it's not getting a 4x multiplier. 

• Like 1

Might see BR again tonight. 

Grinch is doing serious fucking business at the theatre I worked at. So is BR but it's been consistently crazy strong. Grinch may match (or at the very least come in only a hair lower than) yesterday's number. Can definitely see the Sunday drop being much much smaller than predicted. 

For reference, Grinch did equivalent 3.6M previews, 26.2M Friday, 39.4M Saturday, and the matinee alone brought it to 29.8M Sunday. So I don't know whether to expect it to play like a typical family film on a Sunday night and completely die for the evening shows, or if it could have another potential Saturday night level business, meaning it could go as high as 40M for Sunday. 

Also to note I took a look at ASIB numbers. It opened to equivalent of 42.0M, but increased on its second weekend, and it's third weekend here was 41M. It's getting dropped for Fantastic Beasts on Thursday, but it's looking like it'll end with something like 365M

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

So I found The Grinch to be surprisingly effective despite my low expectations. First act is weak - which is also where most of the marketing is from - but the characters become pretty endearing by the end and it ends up executing the message surprisingly well. It actually remedies what is typically my biggest complaint with Illumination films: that they lack heart. I'll take it any day over the live action one, which I've found full of cringe and excess ever since I was a kid. I can't see any reason WOM wouldn't be excellent among families. I don't think 300 is at all impossible.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, DAJK said:

So I don't know whether to expect it to play like a typical family film on a Sunday night and completely die for the evening shows, or if it could have another potential Saturday night level business, meaning it could go as high as 40M for Sunday.

For whatever anecdotal evidence is worth, it has been selling out its night shows in my area tonight. It makes sense that a family film would have a crazy-good hold the night before a day that most U.S. schools will be taking off, but I still share in your surprise at just how strong this hold could end up being if the over-performance isn't just an anomaly at your theater (and mine).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

So was Venom $102m, overestimated by $9m according to Variety?

Although THR just repeated their earlier article and kept the $111m headline. 

Check the China thread to find the actuals. The trades always get the China numbers wrong.

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

So I found The Grinch to be surprisingly effective despite my low expectations. First act is weak - which is also where most of the marketing is from - but the characters become pretty endearing by the end and it ends up executing the message surprisingly well. It actually remedies what is typically my biggest complaint with Illumination films: that they lack heart. I'll take it any day over the live action one, which I've found full of cringe and excess ever since I was a kid. I can't see any reason WOM wouldn't be excellent among families. I don't think 300 is at all impossible.

5-6 years back WIR1 did 3.86x and BH6 did 3.96x multi after Fri od in pre-Thanksgiving Nov. Even if actuals come in higher at 68 ow, Grinch needs 4.40x multi for 300m. Today with bigger preview ratio than WIR1 and BH6 and probably bit lesser wom than those, I feel 3.7x is the most Grinch will do. WIR2 is also arond the corner. 68*3.7 gives 252 so feel 255 is the ceiling.

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Variety must’ve made a typo, would still be 2nd biggest anyway 

yeah, 15.4+223.1+302.7+223.5=765 yuan is the ow. 109-111 depending on the fluctuating ER last few days.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Catty said:

Funny how everyone's opinions are different - went with 6 people today & we all loved it.  And coming from someone who watched Live Aid as it was happening I was astounded at Rami - just perfection.  Glad it was no Star is Born - you couldn't pay me to watch Bradley Cooper - I'll settle for the Judy Garland or Barbara Streisand versions.

If you liked BR you’d probably enjoy A Star Is Born, it really is as amazing as everyone’s saying it is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

So was Venom $102m, overestimated by $9m according to Variety?

Although THR just repeated their earlier article and kept the $111m headline. 

Should be around 110-110,5. Variety is wrong

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DAJK said:

Might see BR again tonight. 

Grinch is doing serious fucking business at the theatre I worked at. So is BR but it's been consistently crazy strong. Grinch may match (or at the very least come in only a hair lower than) yesterday's number. Can definitely see the Sunday drop being much much smaller than predicted. 

For reference, Grinch did equivalent 3.6M previews, 26.2M Friday, 39.4M Saturday, and the matinee alone brought it to 29.8M Sunday. So I don't know whether to expect it to play like a typical family film on a Sunday night and completely die for the evening shows, or if it could have another potential Saturday night level business, meaning it could go as high as 40M for Sunday. 

Also to note I took a look at ASIB numbers. It opened to equivalent of 42.0M, but increased on its second weekend, and it's third weekend here was 41M. It's getting dropped for Fantastic Beasts on Thursday, but it's looking like it'll end with something like 365M

So, Canehdiehns have been going gaga for movies in this past month, is what you're saying? :ph34r: I mean, wasn't it your theater where First Man actually did good business too? (And btw, how did Venom and Halloween perform like there?)

Edited by MCKillswitch123

2013 had veteran's day on Monday and Free Birds dropped 26% on its second Monday, Thor dropped 52% on its first.

2012 also had it observed on Monday and Wreck It Ralph dropped 42% on its 2nd Monday, 

So my guess is ~40% drop today for Grinch, 11-12m

Edited by MattW