PanaMovie

POKEMON DETECTIVE PIKACHU - 283.2M OS - 425.5M WW

Don't be sad @Nova, Shazam was very walk up friendly (a normal super hero presale would have indicated a 300k USD OW, while in reality, it did above 600k USD). Besides, the comp is only for OD, Pikachu has a lot of presales for the rest of the weekend, and that is quite unusual. And I insist, the buzz is very strong (both online and among real people) and families are hungry for something that isn't Endgame. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

34 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Don't be sad @Nova, Shazam was very walk up friendly (a normal super hero presale would have indicated a 300k USD OW, while in reality, it did above 600k USD). Besides, the comp is only for OD, Pikachu has a lot of presales for the rest of the weekend, and that is quite unusual. And I insist, the buzz is very strong (both online and among real people) and families are hungry for something that isn't Endgame. 

Thank you for this. I wasn’t sure how Shazam did over there and for some reason it’s not reported on BOM. I thought Shazam did poorly there considering how it did in other OS markets :ph34r: Just hoping for a solid gross at this point for Pikachu. 

One hidden advantage that could be in favour of pikachu instead of disadvantage is released right after the end game storm.

As far as i know , the pikachu trailer played right before EG in every shows. Along with the initial trailer release, I would assume this help cinemagoers to keep their memory and awareness fresh. 

My theory could be wrong but this could really be a wildcard like mini JW.  

• Like 1

Feeling 500+ for this right now. Chinese presales indicate a good OW (maybe even a great OW if things continue the way they are) and a good total (if the reception there is good ofcourse). 

The only thing that may be an impediment is how much Endgame will affect this. How much money are casual movie goers willing to burn given that they have already spent so much on Endgame. 

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

The only thing that may be an impediment is how much Endgame will affect this. How much money are casual movie goers willing to burn given that they have already spent so much on Endgame. 

having less than half of its runtime and bigger in the light side helps

23 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

having less than half of its runtime and bigger in the light side helps

My point was in regards to money not runtime or family nature of a movie. Not many people can afford to go to multiple movies in the same month. Hence I was wondering if Endgame sucking up all that money is going to affect DP or not. 

But I suppose I can answer that myself. We have already seen multiple movies existing and doing well side by side, no reason why DP cant do it either. 

• Like 1

Uruguay a priori isn't looking good atm, like 1/3 of EG 3rd weekend showings, I hope it has good wom. My friends said it was pretty stupid watching a Pokémon live-action, screw them i'm going alone 😅

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Even in Japan it's not huge for now, which is surprising.

You mean "which is NOT surprising". Hollywood adaptations of Japanese stuff never do well there.

In fact, Corpse said the opening was good and it could have been much worse.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Anyone know when this movie is releasing in South Korea. Still haven't seen a release date for it.

Opens this weekend. Already had previews last weekend in Korea too, made around 850k IIRC.

2 hours ago, Omni said:

You mean "which is NOT surprising". Hollywood adaptations of Japanese stuff never do well there.

In fact, Corpse said the opening was good and it could have been much worse.

No no, I really believed this one could be different. It's not a disaster but I secretly hoped for a breakthrough.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, lor15 said:

Uruguay a priori isn't looking good atm, like 1/3 of EG 3rd weekend showings, I hope it has good wom. My friends said it was pretty stupid watching a Pokémon live-action, screw them i'm going alone 😅

You are going solo.

A simple trick: using "solo" every time you want to use "alone" makes you awesome.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1