YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

There’s something about the HP-films that does puzzle me a little bit. How come characters like Ginny, Neville, Seamus, Luna & some other students didn’t join in with Harry, Hermione & Ron on their quests in the movies more often whenever the trio’s in danger and need help (Yeah, i know some of them did that in OOTP, but i meant more like that moment)? It would have been a lot easier for the gang survive from being injured or almost killed by any Death-eater or Voldemort himself. Kinda hard to do it alone.

Especially Ginny, who’s Harry’s girlfriend. And she’s not that often there for him when he needs help or something?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Marketing made it look incredibly stale. Not much of a hook really. It is great though. Maybe some bigger draws in the cast would've helped?

I’m not sure. I mean it’s probably the best ensemble cast of the year. 

I just think there’s no way in hell it’s escaped its target demo that the film is meant to be great.  The truth is there for us all to see, this demograph is increasingly favouring staying at home. 

It’s a sorry state of affairs. 

I’m really pissed this hasn’t broken out. What hope have we got when a belting adult drama/thriller can’t pull in a solid opening weekend? Maybe it will leg it out, I don’t know. 

Anyone here who hasn’t seen it yet, go see it this weekend. It’s terrific. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Prequels are always extremely tricky. 

True. Though to be fair, there were some highly successful prequels to a franchise that did great.

The Star Wars-prequels, while not as beloved as the original trilogy...each prequel did make more at the box office than the originals. And even the more critically praised Rogue One (an anthology-film) which is the highest grossing prequel DOM-wise.

All a prequel needs is to be good and have a good enough quality & praise from critics & audiences, in order to be a box office smash.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

This weekend is so fucking predictable and bland that even Deadline hasn't sought fit to follow it closely.

There's a chance that Venom's 3rd weekend in China beats FB2's 2nd weekend.

FB1 fell 39% in the 2nd weekend and FB2 could do 50% imo. That's 34-35 2nd weekend if OW is 68-70.

Venom's 2nd weekend in China should be 53-54 (-52%), and a 40% drop gives 32-33 3rd weekend.

Gives advantage to FB2 with those numbers but 1-2% each side can flip it.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

There’s something about the HP-films that does puzzle me a little bit. How come characters like Ginny, Neville, Seamus, Luna & some other students didn’t join in with Harry, Hermione & Ron on their quests in the movies more often whenever the trio’s in danger and need help (Yeah, i know some of them did that in OOTP, but i meant more like that moment)? It would have been a lot easier for the gang survive from being injured or almost killed by any Death-eater or Voldemort himself. Kinda hard to do it alone.

Especially Ginny, who’s Harry’s girlfriend. And she’s not that often there for him when he needs help or something?

It makes sense because juggling so many characters at the same time would be tough. That's why stories and movies prefer duos and trios. 

Also, fuck HP where Ginny is even more prominent than she already was. awful, awful character, horrid romance, just ugh.

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Once again, we don't even have the second Friday estimate and people are already burying movies because the super early one wasn't 50M. Wait for new estimate to see if something is flopping or not. It could go up. 

I agree. I hate that Widows is being called a flop without us seeing any numbers. 

13 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I agree. I hate that Widows is being called a flop without us seeing any numbers. 

Exactly. Just another day on BOT where flop and bomb are attached to everything. Movie drops 0.01% = crumbling. :hahaha: 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Just checking Deadline.... was a bit trickier to find but these are the numbers....

Taken off the Deadline report...

Grindelwald eyeing 27.5m ~ 69-70m weekend ?

Grinch 7.5m second Friday and 31m weekend

Bohemian Rhapsody 4m Friday and 16m weekend

Widows 5.5m Friday heading for 13.3m

Instant Family 5m Friday heading for 12.5m

I guess you could say not as great as we hoped..... mmmmmm

https://deadline.com/2018/11/fantastic-beasts-the-crimes-of-grindelwald-weekend-box-office-opening-widows-viola-davis-green-book-1202503142/