YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

Not going to call it a disaster when I haven't even seen final numbers for it yet but I don't think it's going to succeed. Hell, I even waited to see what First Man's second weekend was after it's disappointing opening. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

21 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Not going to call it a disaster when I haven't even seen final numbers for it yet but I don't think it's going to succeed. Hell, I even waited to see what First Man's second weekend was after it's disappointing opening. 

Beggars belief Widows isn’t doing much better. Why is that older demograph not coming out for a film like this? Rave reviews, and it is brilliant. 

This movie should be doing at least $70 million domestic. Can’t understand it. 

32 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Beggars belief Widows isn’t doing much better. Why is that older demograph not coming out for a film like this? Rave reviews, and it is brilliant. 

This movie should be doing at least $70 million domestic. Can’t understand it. 

Marketing made it look incredibly stale. Not much of a hook really. It is great though. Maybe some bigger draws in the cast would've helped?

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Widows is a WOM movie so it's really too early to judge. Give it time. It may hold well during holidays when everything will have decent to good holds. I think that market is too full of adult-skewing movies and people prioritize those that they already have interest in (BR for Queen, FB for Potter, ASIB for Gaga). Big test is going to be Creed 2 cause it's yet another adult skewing movie with built-in fandom. If Widows pulls an ASIB against that, like how ASIB held in the wake of BR, it'll be fine.

Leonardo Dicaprio is the only draw around. He's the only one that can sell dramas, thrillers and action movies. 

Anyway, I won't claim that a film has flopped without even seeing it's Friday numbers at least. And really I like to wait until second weekends if the opening is okay. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Leonardo Dicaprio is the only draw around. He's the only one that can sell dramas, thrillers and action movies. 

Preach. He really has the cross appeal that eludes many other stars who are mostly one genre driven. Big Willy had that power in his hayday (Pursuit of Happiness, Hitch were huge hits and not action/sci fi where Willy was consistently reliable) and Sandra has it too outside of romcom and comedy (Blind Side = drama, Gravity = action/sci fi, Ocean's 8 = heist). 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Venom made money because the character was popular.

And because Tom Hardy + Venom makes for a highly entertaining combination. I do think the film enjoys its good WOM partly, because many people were genuinely surprised that they liked it as much as they did. Popular characters/Great marketing can give you a great OW, but legs are always heavily dependant on WOM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

And because Tom Hardy + Venom makes for a highly entertaining combination. I do think the film enjoys its good WOM partly, because many people were genuinely surprised that they liked it as much as they did. Popular characters/Great marketing can give you a great OW, but legs are always heavily dependant on WOM.

Absolutely. Right actor in the right role worth gold. Tom + Venom = perfect. RDJ + Stark/IM = perfect. RR + Deadpool = perfect. Etc. Oft recast characters such as Batman and Spiderman have different levels of popularity depending on who plays them. Some soar, some plummet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I'm not denying that the choice of lead actor is important. The right lead actor is always important but Venom as a character is massively popular on his own. Not arguing against the word of mouth. It's the rare comic book movie that overcame bad reviews. Probably because people got what they wanted from it and it wasn't a pretentious bore like say Fan4stick was. I'm just guessing about what people saw in it because it's a rental for me. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, a2k said:

WB/JK can always fix everything in the potter world by reintroducing these turners

harry-potter-time-turner.gif

I say just make these films all about the Nifflers. A movie about those cute little critters would make a goldmine. Nobody will miss Eddie Redmayne and the other characters who haven't made an impression.

• Like 1