Eric Prime

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse l June 2 2023 | Animators deserve better

Xpost from the Daily thread:)...

So, I said Spidey was gonna win the summer in April...

Well, I watched the movie...damn...if I'd have seen that before making my guess, I'd have been all-in on my guess.  What a GREAT movie!

It's an A from me.  Yes, I haven't given an A in awhile, but it was awesome.  I took a Kid Dramamine and felt great watching, so anyone who had issues with the last (like me), well, I can say meds work and it was so worth it.  The only reason it's not an A+ is b/c I think they could have found a better stop than they did - but that's such a small quibble.

The spouse and 2 oldest girls also gave it an A, and want to rewatch before the next movie comes out.  The boys gave it B+s. 

Wow, wow, wow!  As a Spidey fan, I'm so happy this is just done so right!

PS - Now, I'm not 100% certain Mario wins the domestic year.  My theater was BUZZING at the end...this will have legs, lots and lots of legs.  It couldn't happen to a better movie!

PPS - Maybe those who didn't like my DnD taste will like my Spidey taste more.  Gonna copy this to the Spidey thread, too! 

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

Honestly, been thinking and the ending feels more egregious than other two-parter ending mainly because it feels more like it ends at the second act rather than merely half way through. Like it literally feels like the set-up to one big final act battle. Its not like Infinity War where it ends without any major threads hanging and on a note so low it obvious you need a whole another movie to resolve everything. Even Fast X's abrupt ending wasn't such a big tease imo.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Honestly, been thinking and the ending feels more egregious than other two-parter ending mainly because it feels more like it ends at the second act rather than merely half way through. Like it literally feels like the set-up to one big final act battle. Its not like Infinity War where it ends without any major threads hanging and on a note so low it obvious you need a whole another movie to resolve everything. Even Fast X's abrupt ending wasn't such a big tease imo.

I doubt Beyond will be one big fight.

Spider-verse has been one of least predictable trilogies ever.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I doubt Beyond will be one big fight.

Spider-verse has been one of least predictable trilogies ever.

Not saying Beyond will be one big fight. I'm saying it feels like this movie ended right before the big final fight and that's why I felt it works less like a standalone film than some of the films (which to be clear, I thought were worse films than this) I compared it to.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I’m guessing the

Spoiler

trip to meet/rescue Miles will follow immediately and take up the first part of Part 3, similar to the Gwen prologue in Part 2. Then the rest of the movie will be about Spot and the Miles vs Miguel / “canon” vs free will conflict.

Makes sense to me at least. We can only speculate for now but I’m definitely trusting the creative team after these two movies. 

Edited by Dephira

49 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

But if you avoided the 2nd trailer you would have no clue what was coming

You're right, if people didn't see the trailer they wouldn't know that the trailer gave away the entire story. Brilliant deduction Sherlock Holmes.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Knock It Off 1

11 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nah, it totally feels like half - I could probably write a whole 2 hour satisfying 2nd half from that movie right now, and still have plot left.  

12 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

So it's Empire Strikes Back like the way its makers said it would be?

Edited by Spidey Freak

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

You're right, if people didn't see the trailer they wouldn't know that the trailer gave away the entire story. Brilliant deduction Sherlock Holmes.

Well you're saying the movies are predictable because the marketing which I don't think makes the movies predictable. 

The movies themselves are not predictable. 

Ok let me just fuckin say it how it is:This film slaps every other live action-and animated film in its way.It’s a gutsy statement to the art and power of the medium of animation.It felt like walking into an art book.It really is everything everyone says it is.                                               Although I will say if your not in the right mindset it can feel like a bit much in its pacing with its non stop action-as proven with me watching it with my mom.But other then that,this film will probably be remembered as the turning point for not just animation but mainstream cinema at large.BRAVO!!! 

Edited by Melosh
  • Like 2

Apologies if this has already been posted here, I didn't see it:

A new version of the movie is being sent to theaters this weekend. Sony got complaints about some hard-to-hear dialogue regarding the sound mix, so an edit of the movie with the revised mix will be available starting on Friday.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

This is like if you end Empire strikes back when Han is frozen. 

14 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

So it's Empire Strikes Back like the way its makers said it would be?

I love Across the Spider-Verse, I think it’s one of the best Spider-Man films of all time next to No Way Home, but I have to agree with Marc Bernardin’s points about ATSV compared with ESB: ESB has a sense of tragedy, a sense of loss, a sense of loss that you can’t really compare with that, I think the biggest blockbuster to successfully pull it off the ESB ‘effect’ still is Infinity War. ATSV is a lot more closer to Back to the Future II, in my opinion. Bernardin thinks that ITSV is the best Spider-Man film of all time and gave this one a B+, and I disagree with that too. But I disagree in the premise that they have successfully made a fucking comic book saga work in the span of 2 hours plus and transformed that into a language easy to digest to general audiences. It’s something that it was unthinkable before the MCU and how much the general public has now a better understanding on crazy concepts like this, but it still a feat nonetheless.