That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Ralph probably will end with $ 200M dom and $ 550-575M ww 

MPR could do something like $ 210-230M dom and around $ 500M ww.

They’re both below some expectations, yes, but still good and solid enough.

Most studios would be more than happy with those results for any movie.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Most studios would be more than happy with those results for any movie.

More than a few studios would kill for those kinds of results given what types of movies they are.

Edited by cookie

Looking at my theater...I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if Bumblebee was #2 today, even if they don’t add the $700k.

Hell, Spiderverse is holding quite well with some of the late night shows. It’s definitely surviving the new openers.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Spagspiria said:

Hell, Spiderverse is holding quite well with some of the late night shows. It’s definitely surviving the new openers.

If it somehow climbs to $20m 3-day I would consider that a major victory.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Spagspiria said:

Looking at my theater...I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if Bumblebee was #2 today, even if they don’t add the $700k.

It could be an interesting race if Bumblebee is as well-received as the reviews (and the audience scores) suggest.

Updated by @akvalley: 2018-12-21 20:56:46 Central (Lock time Fridays 11:00:00)
BUY TIME	TICKETS	MOVIE TITLE
--------------------------------------------------
2018-12-21 21:00:00	1221	Aquaman
2018-12-21 21:00:00	509	Mary Poppins Returns (2018)
2018-12-21 21:00:00	409	Bumblebee
2018-12-21 21:00:00	377	Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse
2018-12-21 21:00:00	227	The Mule (2018)

Just now, DMan7 said:

I wonder what would've happened to all these movies if Disney decided to release Solo in December instead to maintain having a SW movie every December?

It was my theory: Aquaman and Bumblebee would have moved along with Alita, and of course MPR wouldn't be there either. People were used to the SW juggernaut in December. My Solo>R1 club would have succeeded, domestically at least (nothing would have saved Solo overseas).

It is all hypothetical, so nobody can prove me wrong. :sparta:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

I think Solo would've done a lot better in December. I think the fandom discourse ((please don't start it up I don't want to get into it)) around a certain movie is starting to settle down, and news like TCW coming back plus news about The Mandalorian and the Cassian show+Episode 9 news is exciting people. Also there would've been more time to market Solo and it would've given Ron Howard more time to refine it.

Edited by Mulder
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Nah, I don't buy that Solo would have made a ton in the slot, nor that films would have "gotten out of the way"...films didn't get away from the May date and in a few cases, actually sought almost head-to-head action...

For Xmas, I don't think Aquaman was moving, nor was Spideyverse...so there would have been 3 franchise-focused films battling it out for a lot of the same audience...and with the other 2 having the superior WOM, better marketing, and less baggage, Solo would have ended up right where it did end up...last for the December blockbusters, just like it was last for the May ones...