That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

MPR was overpredicted because many people, not just here but in media, did not believe in Aquaman. It's very simple. Despite the evidence to the contrary, that anticipation was through the roof, people underestimated Aquaman and started to look for champions elsewhere, from MPR to legs-will-pull-Spidey/BB-to-the-top. I get it, DC blew it with JL but it obviously didn't affect Aquaman cause trailers hyped GA and they seem to really love Jason in this role. 

So yeah, it's really down to AquaWave. It's real. It's always been, just many didn't believe in it. 

I have to agree with the general point you made about people getting it wrong with MPR. You're bang on, and I'm guilty as charged. I just half-ass assumed this would be a cash cow for Disney. That being said, I don't agree with this part. Most people's expectations for MPR had nothing to do with AQUAMAN or any preconceptions about DC. It was simply about what people expected from MPR. Nothing more, nothing less. Most people aren't looking at this through the "Disney vs. WB/DC" lens. That's for online fanboys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

MP is also extremely white and middle/upper-class. That strata of society just doesn't resonate with modern audiences like it once did, much to societies own great fortune. 

Oh brother....

Fucking people...getting triggered by stuff like this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I have to agree with the general point you made about people getting it wrong with MPR. You're bang on, and I'm guilty as charged. I just half-ass assumed this would be a cash cow for Disney. That being said, I don't agree with this part. Most people's expectations for MPR had nothing to do with AQUAMAN or any preconceptions about DC. It was simply about what people expected from MPR. Nothing more, nothing less. Most people aren't looking at this through the "Disney vs. WB/DC" lens. That's for online fanboys.

That’s not what he said. The GA tend to be be influenced by the overall narrative and that’s narrative comes from the media bloggers and co. And yes in disdain for Aquaman and the DCEU as whole they have been overhyping MPR. that’s just factual sorry to think that these trades and leader of opinion are no biased in their coverage is quite naive. 

12 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

It was completely out of theaters after 7/26/18 with $99,345,950! Gotta wonder which foreign market they took that $2M from?!🤔

How do you know if it was out of theater ? Could be mismembering but I think it was still showing up on fandango ticket sales for weeks after that, if you look here seem to have been the case:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NBK-Sj8qK3GXl-iOdHYeD94YRNxWJ9HqZ9OKdGoSx2o/edit#gid=384438946

Selling over 500 tickets some days on fandango in August.

Movies often play a very long time after they stopped showing up on box office mojo, I imagine dollar theater run and what not.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

Actually surprised JL is higher than BvS

JL is my least favorite DC movie.  It's just all over the place,  doesn't mesh at all...  terrible CGI etc.   It's the only one I don't own on 4K.  I pretend it doesn't exist and I think the majority of audiences are doing the same.  

It's the X-Men Origins: Wolverine of the franchise. 

Edited by Johnny Tran

4 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

Actually surprised JL is higher than BvS

No that surpising it’s way more accessible and commercial it also had better legs. As a matter of fact the legs for JL were not bad it’s just open way  too low and right before Thanksgiving which is great for inflated numbers but bad because the screens count  brutally drop comes December.

Here's something everybody can laugh at:

The shitty Divergent franchise is finally officially dead, Starz is not going to make that Ascendant tv show anymore:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kateaurthur/divergent-franchise-disaster

a spokesperson for Starz, which is owned by Lionsgate, tells BuzzFeed News that a continuation of the franchise is no longer in active development.

What's more frustrating for its tens of fans, the story ended on a cliffhanger.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kitik said:

Here's something everybody can laugh at:

The shitty Divergent franchise is finally officially dead, Starz is not going to make that Ascendant tv show anymore:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/kateaurthur/divergent-franchise-disaster

Mortal Engines Rises.