That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

4 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Not going to make fun of anyone because I sorta want to see the film myself at some point, but why did so many here think that Mary Poppins was going to be a monster? I mean the only big musical to hit it big lately was Beauty and the Beast, but that was because it was a remake of the Disney movie.

You answered your own question: despite being a sequel MPR felt very much like a soft remake of one of the most beloved Disney moves ever. Given Jungle Book and BatB's success there was little reason to think it wouldn't be huge.

As I said in a previous post, there's gonna be a lot of Monday morning questerbacking on MPR's box office, but almost none of that was being said before the fact.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

72 total by Sunday is at least as good as the 65-70 ow tracking indicated for Aquaman. I don't think the trackers and analysts knew that a big 4.7 would be pre-ow gross.

Well, they kinda did:)...the Dec 14 sneaks $2.9M was booked and announced by Deadline a week before the opening:)...so, you can forgive the trackers missing the $1.8M Wed number in their numbers (but the announced pre-Sat number might be a bit much:)...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, they kinda did:)...the Dec 14 sneaks $2.9M was booked and announced by Deadline a week before the opening:)...so, you can forgive the trackers missing the $1.8M Wed number in their numbers (but the announced pre-Sat number might be a bit much:)...

Ok I didn't realise they had included 2.9m. So bang on tracking expectations then :)

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

You answered your own question: despite being a sequel MPR felt very much like a soft remake of one of the most beloved Disney moves ever. Given Jungle Book and BatB's success there was little reason to think it wouldn't be huge.

As I said in a previous post, there's gonna be a lot of Monday morning questerbacking on MPR's box office, but almost none of that was being said before the fact.

I agree...

If Beauty and the Beast and the Jungle Book (which was a similar generation original movie) had never gone so high, I probably would have had better expectations...

But between knowing the 1st 2 live actions went huge (yes, there was a fail with Pete's Dragon, but that one seemed the outlier), that it was Christmas with no animated opening movie (to steal the family movie buy), and that it was CLASSIC Disney - something that usually pulls 2-102, and that it was better reviewed than Beauty and the Beast (so it didn't suck), and knowing how high this month has been the last 4 years...

Well, for months, I saw a 2 movie race this Xmas between Aquaman and MP2, both over $300M...with everything else falling to the lower tier...I guess I got the lower tier thing right, but I'm gonna probably end up too high on both movies, although probably only catastrophically on the one:)...

PS - That time when you called Bumblebee right months before, but it doesn't matter b/c you called the other 2 biggies wrong, although I guess Aquaman still has a chance for $300M...MP2's chance for that number will literally take a Christmas miracle...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Not a great expansion for Favourite, but to be expected

Not too surprised. Second time in a row a quirky Fox Searchlight film got beat out by a somewhat genetic period Oscar film from Focus Features over the holidays.

8 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Not a great expansion for Favourite, but to be expected

It’s doing fine for what it is tbh, plus it has competition for the period audience with Mary Queen of Scots also out (which looks like a more typical effort for the genre despite not having the awards buzz). Should hold well throughout the holidays and then Oscar season will keep it around.

• Like 1