Premium George

Thursday numbers I AM 14.5, MPR 10.2, BB/SMSV 5.8 I BY ASGUARD

13 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

when you want to talk about a movie with real profits, please check this one and stop trying to sell Mery floping.

almost $400M with a $36M budget 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=media&id=astarisborn2018.htm 

ASIB was a huge win for WB and deservedly so (I would put it, along with Paddington 2 and Mission Impossible, among my three favorite films of the year) but what does that have to do with MPR? It's possible for both films to be successful, ya know. 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Sandra is truly the last female movie star standing.

Netflix has a few wins this year. Bird Box, Roma, Buster Scruggs, Sierra Burgess and To All The Boys I've Loved Before. I've seen people heavily talk about then on social media or an acclaim from critics (or both in Roma's case).

They should stick to low budgets movies and not bombs like Outlaw King and Mowgli, leave the high budget for theatrical releases. 

10 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

Sandra is truly the last female movie star standing.

Netflix has a few wins this year. Bird Box, Roma, Buster Scruggs, Sierra Burgess and To All The Boys I've Loved Before. I've seen people heavily talk about then on social media or an acclaim from critics (or both in Roma's case).

They should stick to low budgets movies and not bombs like Outlaw King and Mowgli, leave the high budget for theatrical releases. 

we don't really know if Outlaw King (or even Mowgli) weren't watched a lot

Showing strong staying power, the second frame of “Aquaman” is dominating North American moviegoing with about $53 million in the final weekend of 2018, early estimates showed on Friday.

Disney’s second frame of “Mary Poppins Returns” will lead the rest of the pack, with around $33 million at 4,090 sites. The sequel should be hitting $105 million in its first 12 days at the end of the weekend.

From Variety

Edited by nevermore

4 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

we don't really know if Outlaw King (or even Mowgli) weren't watched a lot

we know they were no watched no where near this much because Netflix isn't tooting it's own horn about them.

my mom and I watched bird box Christmas Day.  we both love Sandra bullock and I thought she was solid but as others have said it felt like a much lesser executed version of A Quiet Place.

but facts are facts and it absolutely EXPLODED on social media.  would not be surprised if Netflix started doing a film release with an a lister attached every year around the holiday.

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Netflix doesn’t really care if you don’t watch some of their high-profile acquisitions, as long as you watch SOMETHING. 

Given that they’ve gotten increasingly cancellation-happy with their shows I honestly doubt that.

Edited by cookie

12 minutes ago, cookie said:

Given that they’ve gotten increasingly cancellation-happy with their shows I honestly doubt that.

Their money-hose isn’t infinite, but they’re operating more with an HBO mentality than a movie studio one. (All HBO cares about is whether you keep your subscription active.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Netflix doesn’t really care if you don’t watch some of their high-profile acquisitions, as long as you watch SOMETHING. 

I'm pretty sure they do care about people viewing or not something they paid +$100m. Even if only a few people saw it, it doesn't seem like the kind of movie that would make that tiny percent go "You know what? I'm not gonna cancel my subscription"

It's not like what happened with "The Crown" that wasn't a big hit but it got a lot of award attention.