Eric Duncan

Venom: Let There Be Carnage l October 1 2021 | NOT getting delayed

4 hours ago, DInky said:

You really think a movie about Venom could never appeal to critics? I kind of hate the fact that so many people have just accepted that these movies are trainwrecks. If we reward garbage then we're only going to get more garbage.

'

Agreed. A movie with Carnage could definitely be much, much better than what it appears we're getting. 

• Like 2

I think it's more-so the route they've gone with the character. I think the route they've gone with the character (silly, slap-sticky, funny) prevents these movies from being legitimately good films.

If they had done what I hoped they had done back when Tom Hardy was announced for the lead role, I could've seen something really unique. Something like a potentially R rated, truly body horror kind of movie.

But then I saw Ruben Fleischer was directing it and saw the writing duo who was writing it and knew that was not gonna be the case.

Clearly Ruben Fleischer and some members of the cast (Riz Ahmed) thought it was going down the "dark and gritty" path, but the problem was the script was atrocious, and Tom Hardy was the one person who was able to identify that, and tried to at least make it entertaining 

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

I think it's more-so the route they've gone with the character. I think the route they've gone with the character (silly, slap-sticky, funny) prevents these movies from being legitimately good films.

If they had done what I hoped they had done back when Tom Hardy was announced for the lead role, I could've seen something really unique. Something like a potentially R rated, truly body horror kind of movie.

But then I saw Ruben Fleischer was directing it and saw the writing duo who was writing it and knew that was not gonna be the case.

Clearly Ruben Fleischer and some members of the cast (Riz Ahmed) thought it was going down the "dark and gritty" path, but the problem was the script was atrocious, and Tom Hardy was the one person who was able to identify that, and tried to at least make it entertaining 

Ever seen Upgrade? Low budget, but that's the movie Venom potentially could've been if one thinks about it. 

To give credit though to whoever was responsible, the Hardy/buddy stuff with Venom is why people connected with it. Because that's really the only interesting thing (if we roll Hardy's acting choices into that category) going for the movie otherwise. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Morbius cameo confirmed

If I were Tom Hardy, I would refuse Sony. Morbius is not going to do well and  working with Jared Leto is no longer attractive and is only gonna bring in hate as far as the online community goes

As far as Jared Leto tweeting that, I actually think Venom is in Morbius as a cameo or post credit scene. I remember Daniel espinosa the director of Morbius said something about how amazing the call sheet of actors was "Jared Leto, Michael Keaton, TOM HARDY".

So yeah I think Venoms in morbius. Unless Espinosa just shot that scene, and but they'll use it in V2

Gonna say it now before the weekend...but Sony made the best date change ever for this movie (even if it took them 2 tries to get it right).  Getting the 1st October weekend for a comedy monster mash after weeks of nothing is absolutely ideal for a huge breakout.  October equals monsters, and then put some comedy on top - it's a can't lose.

If Sony has more supers "monster movies" they believe in, they should claim this date for 2022, 2023, and 2024.  It's made in heaven for Venom, Carnage, etc...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

The Oct 1 release date is probably the best that Sony could have asked for in terms of hyping up the opening weekend. But it’s also the worst weekend they could have released on if they were hoping for any sort of legs.

Looking at Oct in 2018 and 2019, there is definitely space to accommodate all newcomers in October, Last week the box office only managed to grab 30m+.... which is far from 120-150m range in every pre-covid Oct weekend.

Problem is, just how many people, especially families are staying away from cinema because of Covid or the permanent loss of crowd to streaming.  If this two are non-factor, Venom 2 could have solid legs. We cannot afford to only have big opening to keep everything intact, holdovers need to give their strength.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Looking at Oct in 2018 and 2019, there is definitely space to accommodate all newcomers in October, Last week the box office only managed to grab 30m+.... which is far from 120-150m range in every pre-covid Oct weekend.

Problem is, just how many people, especially families are staying away from cinema because of Covid or the permanent loss of crowd to streaming.  If this two are non-factor, Venom 2 could have solid legs. We cannot afford to only have big opening to keep everything intact, holdovers need to give their strength.    

It’s more Bond/Dune/ Halloween that I think will affect Venom. Big movies to take people’s attention away. And I know that in Canada at least where there are still capacity restrictions, some markets are splitting Bond/Venom between locations because they don’t have enough screen space to accommodate both.

Initial social media reactions seem positive enough.  Maybe mid 40s to high 50s over on RT on a pure fresh/rotten scale? (no idea about the x/10)

Positive enough that I'm frankly a little surprised at Sony having the review embargo so late. As long as it stays above the 40 RT line I really can't see reviews deterring folks all that much.

Still, lots of critics are apparently seeing it today (as well as NTTD) so more reactions should be coming in sooner or later.

Don't think this will be thought of as a good film, but a fun film?  Maybe.  If so, no idea what Sony was playing at here with the embargoes.