filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

47 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Nice way to put words in my mouth. I said BKKK is all about contention between two races, because it is. That has nothing to with saying the KKK shouldn't be a contentious subject, obviously it is. The point is, one movie chooses to focus entirely on the negative history between two races, even going so far as to suggest nothing has changed at the end, while the other choose to focus on love and acceptance. It's just like Christian's weird obsession with focusing on Jesus's torture and death all the time. Why the hell do you want to put so much energy into focusing on something negative? Learn from the past and go forward with positivity. Otherwise, you're perpetuating the problem. 

Wow, this might just be the worst take of the month.  Literally every sentence in this is an awful take.

It’s an even more ironic take given its black history month.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It's not subtle because Lee really isn't trying to be subtle. He's trying to make direct connections between now and the story he's telling, if there's any time to be unsubtle it's now.

The problem is it effected the story telling.  Much of the speeches and most of the minutes of Birth of A Nation should have been left on the cutting room floor.   They'd have still been effective with less but for me they halted the movie in it's tracks as they dragged along, undercutting the drama (and humor) around them.

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The problem is it effected the story telling.  Much of the speeches and most of the minutes of Birth of A Nation should have been left on the cutting room floor.   They'd have still been effective with less but for me they halted the movie in it's tracks as they dragged along, undercutting the drama (and humor) around them.

The thing is, Spike was criticizing what cinema once was with it and showing that things hadn't shifted too much from that. Keep in mind that Birth of A Nation single handedly revived the KKK as an organization and is pretty much the modern birth of the white supremacist movement.

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 1

An actually really good, intelligent, non-pandering movie about a crude racist proud white man and a professional, dignified black man working together in the '60s Deep South was once made by a bunch of white people and won Best Picture. It's called In the Heat of the Night.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It's....not going to go over well.

It's not going go that badly lol, he's hardly making a pro-Hitler movie. But I don't think Taika is really the sort of guy who wants to spend months going through all the awards campaign shenanigans.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wrath said:

I doubt it'll end up being Oscar material, but I think it'll be fun.

On second thought, maybe it will? This is the second year in a row where Octavia was involved in the Best Picture winner (and was individually nominated for The Shape of Water).

Octavia Spencer: The Real Queen of Hollywood

Image result for ma octavia spencer gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Have to disagree here.  The Birth of a Nation sequence in Klansman is one of the highlights of the movie.

Just now, Mulder said:

The thing is, Spike was criticizing what cinema once was with it and showing that things hadn't shifted too much from that. Keep in Birth of A Nation single handedly revived the KKK as an organization and is pretty much the modern birth of the white supremacist movement.

Maybe for people who didn't know it was riveting and an oh wow retaliation as it went on and on but 30 - 45 seconds would have been enough for the reference and parallel to hit hard.

But instead It was like being forced into film history class again in the middle of watching a movie.  

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Maybe for people who didn't know it was riveting and an oh wow retaliation as it went on and on but 30 - 45 seconds would have been enough for the reference and parallel to hit hard.

But instead It was like being forced into film history class again in the middle of watching a movie.  

I mean the other thing is, it's meant to contrast with the story the guest of the Black Panthers had where he was talking about his friend being lynched, the exact scene Spike Lee chose to show.

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

An actually really good, intelligent, non-pandering movie about a crude racist proud white man and a professional, dignified black man working together in the '60s Deep South was once made by a bunch of white people and won Best Picture. It's called In the Heat of the Night.

I'm out of likes so :hi5:

10 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah and that movie made by the 'white guy' was likely one of the most impactful anti-racism movies ever made. 

My point is Green book is flawed but to suggest a good anti-racism movie can only be made by a member of an oppressed minority is just so stupid lol 

Like why are we so stupid these days lol 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just now, Mulder said:

I mean the other thing is, it's meant to contrast with the story the guest of the Black Panthers had where he was talking about his friend being lynched, the exact scene Spike Lee chose to show.

I know that and think both could have been edited in quicker cuts of images and sound still keeping their respective power, especially since at that point in the movie violence is coming to ahead with the blown covers and the bombings.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

On second thought, maybe it will? This is the second year in a row where Octavia was involved in the Best Picture winner (and was individually nominated for The Shape of Water).

Octavia Spencer: The Real Queen of Hollywood

Image result for ma octavia spencer gif

Going 2 for the last 2 and then the near miss with Hidden Figures is pretty impressive.

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

We all know going to Oscars makes him sleepy 

God, I had forgotten what a terribly-produced ceremony that was with some of the presenters and winners occurring from the aisles. I'm grateful they haven't really tried to do that again ever since.

8 minutes ago, Mulder said:

The thing is, Spike was criticizing what cinema once was with it and showing that things hadn't shifted too much from that. Keep in mind that Birth of A Nation single handedly revived the KKK as an organization and is pretty much the modern birth of the white supremacist movement.

One thing about the bad of BKKK is that the police that killed a black kid got arrested so comically in the bar! 

THat police fucking killed a innocent black and sexually haraas a black girl on screen was handled lightly is a major flaw of the movie.     

• Like 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

I know that and think both could have been edited in quicker cuts of images and sound still keeping their respective power, especially since at that point in the movie violence is coming to ahead with the blown covers and the bombings.

I agree, that part of the movie felt like Lee was personally lecturing me rather than showing me a movie, so the speak.

And I say this as someone who genuinely considered Klansman the best film of the nominated list (though I picked Green Book to actually win in my betting pool. Got 16 out of however many, which was enough to win).