Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

I know a guy who's worked with Nolan (played Casey Affleck's coughing son on Interstellar). He's also worked with Stephen Chbosky and a few other directors (I think on Riverdale?). Anyways I remember him telling me that Nolan's sets are some of the most fun and laid back he's been on. Said the guy is so confident in his own work that he isn't uptight, worried, or angry on set at all, unlike other directors can be at times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I know a guy who's worked with Nolan (played Casey Affleck's coughing son on Interstellar). He's also worked with Stephen Chbosky and a few other directors (I think on Riverdale?). Anyways I remember him telling me that Nolan's sets are some of the most fun and laid back he's been on. Said the guy is so confident in his own work that he isn't uptight, worried, or angry on set at all, unlike other directors can be at times.

People on Twitter seem to have this idea that Christopher Nolan is a stuffy and cold prima donna who thinks highly of no one but himself. MovieBob in particular seems insistent on this interpretation. It’s like these people are projecting their dislike of his films and his fanbase onto him as a person. If people find his movies pretentious, that’s one thing, but by all accounts, the people who work with him are perfectly fine with doing so. Hathaway was actually praising him in that interview that the chair quote was pulled from. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

People on Twitter seem to have this idea that Christopher Nolan is a stuffy and cold prima donna who thinks highly of no one but himself. MovieBob in particular seems insistent on this interpretation. It’s like these people are projecting their dislike of his films and his fanbase onto him as a person. If people find his movies pretentious, that’s one thing, but by all accounts, the people who work with him are perfectly fine with doing so. Hathaway was actually praising him in that interview that the chair quote was pulled from. 

Well, your big mistake was following Moviebob in the first place

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TMP said:

Well, your big mistake was following Moviebob in the first place

I actually don’t follow anyone on Twitter. I don’t even have a Twitter account. I just happened to come across his tweets when I was searching through Twitter, and I’ve seen enough of his videos to know that he’s pretty salty towards people who love TDKT. 

I try to stay away from as many of the twitter/YouTube movie channels as possible, as very few are actually informative or well-versed in what they're talking about. But even so... I have seen a few takes from this movie bob fellow and yikes. 

As for the chair thing itself. Just lol 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Haha 1

“For the record, the only things banned from [Christopher Nolan’s] sets are cell phones (not always successfully) and smoking (very successfully),” Nolan’s spokesperson Kelly Bush Novak of ID said in a statement. “The chairs Anne was referring to are the directors chairs clustered around the video monitor, allocated on the basis of hierarchy not physical need. Chris chooses not to use his but has never banned chairs from the set. Cast and crew can sit wherever and whenever they need and frequently do.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

Even if the chair quote is true, that doesn't make Nolan a monster without any redeeming qualities. I hate this judging a man's character based on one single thing.

Welcome to the world of Social media.

4 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

As for the chair thing itself. Just lol 

Compared to the stories of Michael Curtiz drowning extras filming Noah's Ark, David O. Russell bullying Amy Adams on the American Hustle set, James Cameron using a nail gun on crew members' cell phones if they ever went off during production on Avatar, and the various abuses committed by Singer, Ratner and Polanski, the chair thing seems pretty low-key on the scale of "shitty things film directors have done".

Edited by 35MM-18

1 hour ago, 35MM-18 said:

Compared to the stories of Michael Curtiz drowning extras filming Noah's Ark, David O. Russell bullying Amy Adams on the American Hustle set, James Cameron using a nail gun on crew members' cell phones if they ever went off during production on Avatar, and the various abuses committed by Singer, Ratner and Polanski, the chair thing seems pretty low-key on the scale of "shitty things film directors have done".

It’s not even a shitty thing to begin with. A of Twitter checkmarks had to make the argument that Nolan is ableist in order to make their point more compelling. 

2 hours ago, 35MM-18 said:

Cameron has also been accused of nearly drowing some people during the making of the Abyss. I can dismiss one story as gossip, but with Cameron it's a constant stream of stories about his carelessness when it comes to basic safety.

It's so weird to me that this is the thing that's getting everyone pissed at Nolan during this release cycle.

At least with Dunkirk he used unpaid prison labour and erased the existence of the non-white soldiers from the film. I understood why people were mad about that. 

tbh-The only crewmembers on a Nolan flick who seem to have a truly thankless job are the CGI artists. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst