Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

Was reading rumors that Tenet might screen at the Venice film festival, if it does then they will probably delay it to September or October and the latter will clash with the release date of WW84

Following the Joker trajectory. Todd Phillips, his power.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Gravity and A Star Is Born premiered at Venice as well.

both of those premiered out of competition, I guess if Tenet goes there it will probably be out of competition too since it's a blockbuster.

Edited by RealLyre

Grain of salt as to how much this actually is indicative of what WB do next but the UK release date of the screenplay book (which was always day and date with the film, was set for Aug 12th just a week/two ago) has been pushed to August 27

Assuming a vaccine is in mass distribution this year and theaters reopen.

I'm gonna say WB made a huge mistake in caving in to Nolan's demands. If he weren't so gung ho in releasing Tenet when he says, maybe WB could have secured a good release date this year. But Nolan wants to "open the theaters" NOW and that's just not happening.

9 hours ago, antovolk said:

According to the author (on Twitter), the article's guesstimate is based on a (imo way overinflated) global P&A of 200m, plus interest on the production loan, which is an interesting point.

Even with a $130M P&A and using just a 15% overhead cost to include the interest and general other cost he seem to include, to make $360M back from world theatrical alone is quite something.

Imagine a Nolan breakdown a la Interstellar:

28% domestic

54% intl

18% China

$800 WW BO give you:

$224M dbo

$432M intl

$144M china

$224M * .53 + $432M * .4 + $144M * .25 = 327.52M you are still short before giving any of the first dollar gross to Nolan he almost certainly has.

Sony on Bond 24, when they were paying only for half the movie budget and half the releasing cost estimated they needed $525m WW to break even (having access to only the box office revenues), it is quite possibly a bit underinflated.

It is just such an useless metric for almost all the time it was ever talked about, Sony-Bond deal and other case when theatrical is to someone and all future windows to someone else then it become relevant, but in that context you never fully pay for the movie and it is not the movie that break even in theater, it is your share of the spending.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Assuming a vaccine is in mass distribution this year and theaters reopen.

I'm gonna say WB made a huge mistake in caving in to Nolan's demands. If he weren't so gung ho in releasing Tenet when he says, maybe WB could have secured a good release date this year. But Nolan wants to "open the theaters" NOW and that's just not happening.

There's a spot free in September (Conjuring 3's release date), October (WW 1984's release date), and December (Dune's release date) so I don't think the studio has to worry about release dates.

• Like 3

Not technically Tenet related, but it does make the prospect of Tenet more exciting: "How IMAX made Christopher Nolan a better filmmaker "

(He also says the film should just be delayed to next year, which I agree with.)

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/is-tenet-coming-out-this-summer.html

According to two insiders, with foreign ticket sales expected to account for two-thirds of Tenet’s overall gross, Nolan and Warner executives discussed releasing the film internationally ahead of the North American rollout, a relatively risky strategy in an era of rampant overseas movie piracy, when most major motion pictures arrive in theaters worldwide on the same date. But according to these sources, the filmmaker — who, as one of filmdom’s chief evangelists for the theatrical moviegoing experience, penned an op-ed in the Washington Post calling the collective cultural experience of seeing a film in a theater a “vital part of social life” — wanted to help support American theaters in their time of need by sticking to the original plan.

as a viewer, I’d be delighted. But after the days of discussion about how much international cinemas that are open now are arguably hurting even more by not getting access to new content, Nolan (himself a Brit) reportedly picking that decision (also Regal is UK owned! is…  😬

Edited by antovolk

26 minutes ago, antovolk said:

as a viewer, I’d be delighted. But after the days of discussion about how much international cinemas that are open now are arguably hurting even more by not getting access to new content, Nolan (himself a Brit) reportedly picking that decision (also Regal is UK owned! is…  😬

Why must you be so stubborn Chris

41 minutes ago, antovolk said:

🤯

(but also good because...delay is right imo as a viewer)

Nolan will kill us all.

WB obviously delays the movie. Most of Asia and South American theaters aren't open yet. Same with Mexico as well. I don't see the theatrical environment in place for it to succeed currently.

Not really related but it is. So Train to Busan sequel released in Korea yesterday, and it has a poor WoM, so can't really speak on long run but on opening front, it was about atleast 70% down from what a normal opening could have been.

Since Korea is more cine-going per captia than America and is way less impacted by Covid overall, I think a big film released even say theatres open in July end is not doing more than 25% of its potential in the opening.

I think Nolan should understand that and go F9 way of moving just to next year. 2020 is not really safe.

Boxoffice in other countries is down 80-90%, except Japan, their normal, so that point it can release internationally first is BS.

• Like 1