Eric Deetz

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

I also think the fact that there really hasn’t been a huge opener in a while probably helps Marvel.  People were probably ready to see something.

Granted, I reckon the Captain Marvel tease in IW is the big draw here.  It’s not just a new character, it’s a prologue to Endgame.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Well im a bit exaggerating :D i remember on my first IW screening that when all the characters memed away a couple girls next to me were nearly crying and i just chuckled and told them that they will all be resurrected anyway and that i was glad some of them died for the time beeing :lol: Man, they were not happy.

When thanos snapped his fingers

Never experienced a packed theater go so silent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Runtimes w/out credits and attachments for next week:

Captive State: 1:45. Attachments are The Best of Enemies and Hobbs & Shaw

Five Feet Apart: 1:50. Attachment is Long Shot

Wonder Park: 1:17. Attachments unknown (likely Dora the Explorer and maybe Sonic the Hedgehog)

LOL at Wonder Park being so short

If the trailer is an indictor of the film's final quality, then a short running time for Wonder Park is an act of mercy.

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Up until now my only US cinema experience is Interstellar in that large IMAX in Manhattan.... was so loud that i did not really notice my surroundings anymore :D

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I do think it has to be said how insane it is that a brand new hero character who hadn't even turned up in a previous film before like Wonder Woman and Black Panther did, who's a B-List character is opening a film to 150+ plus million in all likelihood. The MCU's power is immense at this point.

I will let the people that follow this stuff more dissect how and why, but yes end of the day it is absolutely crazy that this open above Guardian of the Galaxy 2,

It is a very first apparition from a character "no one" knew about, with good but not special reviews/trailers (make you wonder how closer to BP opening it could have been with a BP trailers/worlds building/budget/reviews, maybe around the same ?).

• Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I saw grown men freak out and weep.  But I could tell what they were up to when it happened and I enjoyed it.  They can write anyone back into it at any time they want.  In the meantime, the emotional trauma is fun. 

• Like 1

I think Black Panther would have opened where it did regardless of whether the character was introduced in Civil War. That film had everything going for it and I really don't think a minor appearance in Civil War is what gave it any extra boost at the box office. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

At the showing! Getting ready to start! Completely sold out.

Of course it is. It's opening night.

For those of you wondering about Guru and rth, rth has told me in the past that they are friendly with one another. So it certainly would not surprise me if rth is guru's source.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think Black Panther would have opened where it did regardless of whether the character was introduced in Civil War. That film had everything going for it and I really don't think a minor appearance in Civil War is what gave it any extra boost at the box office. 

I think the impact Civil War had was selling Chadwick as T'Challa so when it came time to marketing Black Panther the trailers could focus more on showcasing Wakanda and the other supporting characters. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

It played a role as the mcu fanbase also turned out for the film too