Eric Duncan

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

1 minute ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

I think that, in the same way that RT's user reviews are absurd, the CInemascore is absurd. People who go to these blockbusters opening days are certainly inclined to find them "The Best Ever!" and will most likely give them high scores.

That not really absurd, Cinemascore of movie with fanbase do have an overrepresentation of them in their score and must be read into that context.

But did the movie please is most targeted audience still isn't an absurd or useless metric, it is just not one that is made for public consumption nor one the media should talk about.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

To be fair and honest, would Larson (or any other actress) open CM this big without the MCU brand and the Endgame connection?

Of course not.

Yeah there’s not a single star that could open a movie over 100m (honestly maybe even 50 or 60m) based on their name brand alone.

The could shift in either direction as the wknd unfolds, but one thing is for sure: will come in ahead of the 1st installments in Iron Man, Thor & Captain America, not to mention a boatload of other superhero pics.

Do we have the article?

I lost a bit the feel for it

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-captain-marvel-heading-155m-160m-us-launch-1193330?utm_source=twitter

I'll add a summary in spoiler, just in case it was already posted

Spoiler

is headed for a heroic debut of $155 million to $160 million at the domestic box office, according to early Friday returns. 

Even at $150 million, the first female-fronted superhero pic from Marvel Studios and Disney would land the second-best opening of all time for a comic book adaptation starring a new character behind Black Panther ($200 million), as well as the seventh biggest for any title in the Marvel Cinematic Universe behind the three Avengers movies: Black Panther, Captain America: Civil War and Iron Man 3.

Captain Marvel's Friday gross is a projected $60 million-plus, including a mighty $20.7 million in Thursday previews. (DC's Wonder Woman earned $11 million in previews on its way to a domestic launch of $103 million.)

Edited by terrestrial

19 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

To be fair and honest, would Larson (or any other actress) open CM this big without the MCU brand and the Endgame connection?

Of course not.

I know. i'm just playing. SLJ is a legit draw though or at least added value franchise or not. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Runtimes w/out credits and attachments for next week:

Captive State: 1:45. Attachments are The Best of Enemies and Hobbs & Shaw

Five Feet Apart: 1:50. Attachment is Long Shot

Wonder Park: 1:17. Attachments unknown (likely Dora the Explorer and maybe Sonic the Hedgehog)

LOL at Wonder Park being so short

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Wonder Park: 1:17. Attachments unknown (likely Dora the Explorer and maybe Sonic the Hedgehog)

An...an hour and 17 minutes? What in the fuck.

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMENS DAY TO EACH AND EVERY WOMAN ON THE PLANET!! YOU’RE ALL BOSSES!! WHO RUNS THE WORLD??!!

Also, Long Range Tracking Updates: https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-tracking-the-intruder-long-shot-uglydolls/

The Intruder: 11-16M range. 14.5/40

Long Shot: 13-18M range. 16/60

Uglydolls: 7-12M range. 8/27

Five Feet Apart: 12/36. (-8%)

Dumbo: 60/179 (+9%)

Hellboy: 20/42 (-9%)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Smart of them to make it that long. People forget that most older animated movies frequently come in under 90 minutes. 

The Lion King - 88 minutes 
Beauty and the Beast - 84 minutes 
The Little Mermaid - 83 minutes 

You don't need a long film to have quality. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

:sadno: (not all parts, but... why?)

Oh it was more as saying "unfortunately for captain marvel" than a general "unfortunately" ;) 

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Also, Long Range Tracking Updates: https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-tracking-the-intruder-long-shot-uglydolls/

The Intruder: 11-16M range. 14.5/40

Long Shot: 13-18M range. 16/60

Uglydolls: 7-12M range. 8/27

Five Feet Apart: 12/36. (-8%)

Dumbo: 60/179 (+9%)

Hellboy: 20/42 (-9%)

For the short term, I think Wonder Park tracking at $9M is gonna be low...I know the $5 any ticket unlimited Atom deal spiked the presales at my local theater...and it doesn't take a large spike to get into double digits...

Now, whether it's any good...well, here's hoping...

PS - Once the $5 ticket deal expires, Atom is adding on a new BOGO ticket deal (buy an adult ticket, get a kid ticket free) for Wonder Park, so the 1st deal pulls in the city expensive theaters and the 2nd pulls in the cheap ones...starts March 11 https://www.atomtickets.com/promotions/get-a-free-childrens-ticket-to-wonder-park-movie-for-logging-in-with-amazon

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

The Force Awakens says hi.

Good number, by the way. Really curious about the word of mouth (CinemaScore and that kind of shit - no, I'm not gonna pretend like I'm taking the RT debacle seriously).

Nope, thats an ensemble movie, with Harrison Ford as the lead.

31 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Just let us see that Sonic abomination and be done with it Paramount.

2 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Right, the "lead" who shows up like 30 minutes into the movie.

He's a strong supporting character at most.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AndyK said:

First time I heard that one, in what way ?

According to dialogue web site #of word count:

Finn: 1,447

Rey: 1,363

Solo: 1,225

Kylo:: 618

Poe: 604

Rey has a lot of silent moments and would be imo the lead, never rewatched the movie in full but from memory it is her story, her arc and obviously the lead.

Solo has no arc in this and could have been really easily removed from the movie without much work.