Eric is Anxious

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

4 minutes ago, cookie said:

I find that whole sentiment strange honestly since that was the whole selling point in the first place.

Sure, but many thought they'd team up at the end and fight the big bad and it would end upbeat.  Conversely,  there are those that were salivating for death and felt unfulfilled.

IIRC The Russos & Marcus & McFeely said the last part of the movie played out like a horror movie during earlier screenings and if your a big fan of both Steve & Tony it does.

It's easily in my top 5 but I can understand those who though they liked or even loved it did not opt for second theatrical viewings.

The downer ending is why many thought AIW would have similar legs and also why there was reportedly some internal debate on how to end AIW

• Like 2

JCU + MCU + other comic book movies ranked

Ascended tier:

Titanic

God tier:

The Terminator

Terminator

Aliens

The Abyss

Top tier:

True Lies

Strange Days

Alita

Great tier:

TDK

BB

Spiderman 2

Spiderman

Good tier:

Infinity War

Fun tier:

Ragnarok

Wonder Woman

TDKR

Deadpool

The Avengers

Not fun but still good tier:

Logan

Civil War

Dude just turn your brain off tier:

The rest of the MCU

Spiderman 3

Batman v. Superman (director's cut)

Dude just throw your brain in the trash tier:

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3

The Incredible Hulk

Suicide Squad

Deadpool 2

JUSTice league

Batman v. Superman (theatrical cut)

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 2

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Sure, but many thought they'd team up at the end and fight the big bad and it would end upbeat.  Conversely,  there are those that were salivating for death and felt unfulfilled.

IIRC The Russos & Marcus & McFeely said the last part of the movie played out like a horror movie during earlier screenings and if your a big fan of both Steve & Tony it does.

It's easily in my top 5 but I can understand those who though they liked or even loved it did not opt for second theatrical viewings.

The downer ending is why many thought AIW would have similar legs and also why there was reportedly some internal debate on how to end AIW

IW may have a downer ending, but it has a clear victor, which allows catharsis for the audience. 

CW just has 2 friends beating the crap out of each other and feeling bad about it the whole time.  No surprise to me audiences didn't want to relive that to the same extent they do other MCU films.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Strange Days? Why no Strange Days? He wrote the story, he wrote the screenplay and he produced it.

I like strange days.

We need a serious discussion to define  Jim movies by there types.

Perhaps the JCU can be Jim films + productions with screen play

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

IW may have a downer ending, but it has a clear victor, which allows catharsis for the audience. 

CW just has 2 friends beating the crap out of each other and feeling bad about it the whole time.  No surprise to me audiences didn't want to relive that to the same extent they do other MCU films.  

I think the ending of IW really changes how you see the film.

You see it as more a film about Thanos and that really changes how you see the film.

Meaning it makes for an interesting rewatch and IW is quite a rewatchable film. 

I have already seen the movie 5 times since release lol .

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

You can't lock 400DOM and Billion after OW even with these numbers. Reactions are good but they aren't buzzing like BP either.

There is also potential frontloading from the Endgame tie in stuff. Now that thats done how many repeat viewings are there going to be? (haven't seen the movie yet myself). 

The movie is a success based on OW alone with a 152 budget but legs aren't guaranteed especially without holidays or summer. 

Spring break starts this week and goes for several weeks for many kids, could lead to higher dailies/weekend numbers.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

I don't understand. How can anyone prefer GOTG2 over the first one?

GOTG is a very fun space adventure which doesnt have much emotional substance apart from the great opening scene.

GOTG 2 is also a very fun space adventure but it has much more emotional beats throughout. It has a much better villain with Ego and Kurt Russel is gold. I find Vol 2 to be a much more investing film.

Captain Marvel, Aquaman and hell even maybe Shazam! will have $1B films before Spider-Man does. Mind-boggling. With that said, this is not a shade on Homecoming, I very much love what Marvel Studios is doing with the character, the slow build of the character Harry Potter style is bound to make the character THE biggest of the MCU going forward, let's hope that Sony doesn't fuck it up and keep the deal going in the future. Tom Holland could easily make as much Spider-Man films as RDJ has done Iron Man films. Hell, he could even top him. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

So I'm seeing lots of people joining the 1.3 billie bandwagon which I've always been a part of. Interesting, very interesting... 

indeed. some revised histories will be re-written. 'we always knew" sure you did. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Together with her overseas take of $302M –the 5th best overseas debut of all-time–global debut for the Disney pic stands at $456M. By the end of its first week (or less), film finance executives are saying that Captain Marvel will hit $650M global and pass break-even in its theatrical cycle based off combined net production and global marketing costs of $300m. Final domestic B.O. should be north of $400M. Final global, if the film is front-loaded would be around $750M-$800M, with a shot at $1 billion.

tenor.gif

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1