Eric Duncan

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

Just watched the movie and really liked it. I’ll probably see it again. Brie was fantastic, as were the other cast members and I thought the action and music were great. I was getting worried it wouldn’t be as good as hoped with some of the comments and reviews online, but it was much better than I was led to believe. Of course I was looking forward to it, so I’m just glad I ended up liking it. Honestly not sure what’s in it to hate or rage about, but that’s whatever.

I’ve taken a step back from online fandoms and this site over the past month and since TLJ, it seems things just continue to get worse. It’s been nice to come on here and look at numbers, but all the other stuff has become frustrating noise. I’m glad CM is doing well box office wise and hope it continues to do so. Looking forward to Endgame.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Doesn't Oz performance foreshadow domestic performance? can we expect even bigger jump than RTH number? 🙏

Its often in the realm of times 10 to times 11. Out of my mind I am not sure if the numbers to base that on as lc or US.

[Mod Edit:Basically the annual box office Domestic in USD is 10 times the Australian box office in AUD.  It can deviate from that average depending on genre.]

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I legit thought this was the Pika Pika thread reading some of the comments. 

I have still no idea about that character (someone tried once to explain, but my brain didn't 'save' it)

20 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Doesn't Oz performance foreshadow domestic performance? can we expect even bigger jump than RTH number? 🙏

I spend precious time wondering why compare CM with Sam Raimi's Oz :slaphead:

Felt you were comparing a Disney March release in the same calendar configuration as 2019 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Checks to see if Winter Soldier was before or after Guardians 1....

ok youre good 

I believe that was the best year quality wise for the MCU. 

1 hour ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Maybe the most unbelievable part of the weekend. I couldn’t believe my eyes when rth dropped the bomb 

I want a link to the post just so I can follow the reactions.

Edited by cookie

43 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Imagine saying 10 years ago the superheroes to have their films gross $1 Billion+ would be Batman, Iron Man, Captain America (with some help), Black Panther, Aquaman and now probably Captain Marvel. 

Saying that Batman would gross a billion dollars would not have been an outlandish thing ten years ago. 

• Like 1

Just now, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Saying that Batman would gross a billion dollars would not have been an outlandish thing ten years ago. 

That’s cause 10 years ago a Batman film had already grossed $1B :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Maybe the most unbelievable part of the weekend. I couldn’t believe my eyes when rth dropped the bomb 

My local theatre had its busiest day ever on that Saturday (meaning day business).

Every show from 10am to midnight was over 80-100% full. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Crazy to think that 10.5 years ago, the opening weekend record was $158M and now we’ve got movies opening around that number several times a year and the opening weekend record is  now $100M greater than that. 

Fun fact: that $158M was held by a CBM and the current record is also held by a CBM. That Super hero fatigue really hit the box office ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1