Eric Prime

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

31 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

In Mendelson weekend estimates reaction for the holdovers he has some strange numbers, or maybe better said wordings flying around for CM

Titled:

'Captain Marvel' Is Soaring Past $300M Domestic And $850M Worldwide (Box Office) (I guess ww for Friday)

hmmm I guess he means ww total of.... including Sunday

So, is it written sloppy or is my English to bad ans I miss here something?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/03/23/box-office-captain-marvel-brie-larson-us-jordan-peele-how-to-train-your-dragon-alita/#1c3b669971ab

It did 11 million dollars overseas on Friday, 845 million. Chances are it might not get to 900 million by Sunday. 

• Disbelief 1

Just now, ShyGeek said:

It did 11 million dollars overseas on Friday, 845 million. Chances are it might not get to 900 million by Sunday. 

Thanks, that I know. ;)

I try to better my Engish (its mainly self-trained)

To my English-self-trained ears his wording sounds like final total, like at the end of its run - I am pretty sure he means the ww at the end of the weekend / Sunday, so:

= did he write it sloppy or is my English too bad to see some nuance, something that would make it clear its meant for Sunday? Like for a newbie or.... = is the wording ~ definite?

If the wording is clearly meant for Sunday: what did I miss which little word... made it clea?

8 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Damn.... Jordan's return on investment is ridiculous.   Great first 1st day for "Us".   If it has anywhere near "Get Out's" Legs watch out.  

I bet it has great legs but nowhere near that. Over 3.0 but nowhere near 5.27. Maybe 70/230?

Edited by cdsacken

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

In Mendelson weekend estimates reaction for the holdovers he has some strange numbers, or maybe better said wordings flying around for CM

Titled:

'Captain Marvel' Is Soaring Past $300M Domestic And $850M Worldwide (Box Office) (I guess ww for Friday)

hmmm I guess he means ww total of.... including Sunday

So, is it written sloppy or is my English to bad ans I miss here something?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/03/23/box-office-captain-marvel-brie-larson-us-jordan-peele-how-to-train-your-dragon-alita/#1c3b669971ab

It’s a bit ambiguously constructed English in my opinion, but I could tell he meant worldwide amount as of Sunday. Basically in the phrase “worldwide total” the emphasis is usually on the “total” — meaning end-of-run amount. That’s the meaning in a sentence like this:  

Captain Marvel is headed for a worldwide total of 1.1B+

But in a sentence like this:

By the end of next weekend, Captain Marvel will have a domestic gross of around 350 and a worldwide total of almost 1B.

The emphasis in “worldwide total” is instead on the “worldwide.” The time period intended is inherited from the time period for the earlier number, with “worldwide total” only changing the region but not meaning end-of-run. In the Forbes article it’s this case, but flows less naturally because the earlier number being used for contrast is not part of the same sentence, but two sentences earlier. Only the paragraph scturcture holds it all together.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It’s a bit ambiguously constructed English in my opinion, but I could tell he meant worldwide amount as of Sunday. Basically in the phrase “worldwide total” the emphasis is usually on the “total” — meaning end-of-run amount. That’s the meaning in a sentence like this:  

But in a sentence like this:

The emphasis in “worldwide total” is instead on the “worldwide.” The time period intended is inherited from the time period for the earlier number, with “worldwide total” only changing the region but not meaning end-of-run. In the Forbes article it’s this case, but flows less naturally because the earlier number being used for contrast is not part of the same sentence, but two sentences earlier. Only the paragraph scturcture holds it all together.

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I missed and try to learn. :wub:

So often little things can either change the meaning or are obvious for native / better English speakers!

To me the hint fo the weekend or Friday total was solely per title, it was clear he doesn't expect only $10m to ..... for the rest of the run based on logic, but not per his wordings.

I think the way to argue retroactive / reflexive in my language is a bit more direct positioned.

So nice to find members here willing to help me to understand English better!!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

What are you guys anticipating for CM's Saturday increase? Can it manage +65% alongside Us?

BP did +73, so I’m hoping at least +70 with how similar their FSS trajectory was last weekend.   

2 BLACK PANTHER
Buena Vista

$4,415,270

+104.9% / $1,310
$618,673,506 / 36
$7,643,962

+73.1% / $2,268
$626,317,468 / 37
$5,040,386

-34.1% / $1,496
$631,357,854 / 38

Deadline’s 34M weekend would be a Sat bounce of about 55%

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

BP did +73, so I’m hoping at least +70 with how similar their FSS trajectory was last weekend.

GotGV2 also increased 71.5% on its 3rd Saturday so yeah, I guess it would be reasonable to expect at least a 70% bump.

Hoping for about $15.7M.

Sorry, for going off topic, but I had a quick question about Box Office Mojo's numbers in Belgium and I wasn't sure where to ask.   (My sister lives in Belgium, which is why I am interested)

For two week in Belgium ("February 20-24" and "February 27-March 3"), Alita Battle Angel disappears from Box office Mojo's numbers.  Is this normal?  Also, why does it happen?  Thx

Spoiler

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/belgium/

ScreenHunter_0060.png

ScreenHunter_0061.png
Alita disappears

ScreenHunter_0062.png

ScreenHunter_0063.png

ScreenHunter_0064.png`

(Note:  Is there is a better place or way to ask this type of question, please let me know.)

Edited by cedec0
Adding a note