sfran43

Weekend Thread: weekend #s (Actuals) Dumbo $45.99M, Us $33.23M, CM $20.66M

37 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

Can't believe we will have to sit through this WW vs CM nonsense till the end of CM's run.

I think the very first people who planted the seed of that were the CM fans who for some inexplicable reason kept bringing up WW as a box office comparison, when Hunger Games or BATB was a more apt analogy. I recall many posts with "so and so millions till CM reaches WW's domestic total...CM has surpassed WW's WW total...so many millions away from WW's domestic...etc"

• Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

I think the very first people who planted the seed of that were the CM fans who for some inexplicable reason kept bringing up WW as a box office comparison, when Hunger Games or BATB was a more apt analogy. I recall many posts with "so and so millions till CM reaches WW's domestic total...CM has surpassed WW's WW total...so many millions away from WW's domestic...etc"

Really? I must have missed a lot of posts then.

Just now, cdsacken said:

Who cares? Ww 1984 will do more.

I count on that!

Edited by terrestrial

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Wonder Woman is a smash hit, it doesn't matter if Captain Marvel passes it domestically. Good for Captain Marvel. Why do you guys act like WB has to give the money back or something? Insecure  DCU and MCU fans alike act like that's the way the box office works. 

Whether it passes WW or not, CM has not captured the pop culture zeitgest in the manner that Avengers, BP or WW itself did. For example, nothing in CM is even 1/8th as memorable as the already iconic Avengers Assemble (in Avengers) or  No Man's Land (in Wonder Woman) scenes.

This whole WW v CM box office 'fight" is yet another example of how a film's box office is not intrinsically linked to the mark it leaves in pop culture or audiences memory.

Think about how much people remember and reference films like Carrie, Austin Powers, and Thelma and Louise. Nothing in CM (a movie that made more money in its first three days than the combined domestic totals of all three of those films) will stand the test of time like those movies have. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 7

12 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Ok I don't know if you people have been around the boxoffice forums for a while but a lot a movies get tracket against each other.

When IW was being tracked we had count down to all kind of millestones as well as IW ww OW bigger than JL ww run so it's not strange to first of see marvel and dc fanboys battling it out with movies. In the OS thread you won't see the Wonderwoman comparison as much there it's compared to AQM total because thats where it will end up a around. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Whether it passes WW or not, CM has not captured the pop culture zeitgest in the manner that Avengers, BP or WW itself did. For example, nothing in CM is even 1/8th as memorable as the already iconic Avengers Assemble (in Avengers) or  No Man's Land (in Wonder Woman) scenes.

This whole WW v CM box office 'fight" is yet another example of how a film's box office is not intrinsically linked to the mark it leaves in pop culture or audiences memory.

Think about how much people remember and reference films like Carrie, Austin Powers, and Thelma and Louise. Nothing in CM (a movie that made more money in its first three days than the combined domestic totals of all three of those films) will stand the test of time like those movies have. 

Not trying to turn this into franchise wars thread but Wonder Woman is not in the same league as Avengers or Black Panther. It's a good movie that turned out to have insane legs domestically but that's about it. Lets not act the movie as a whole is all that memorable because it definitely is not, imo. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Not trying to turn this into franchise wars thread but Wonder Woman is not in the same league as Avengers or Black Panther. It's a good movie that turned out to have insane legs domestically but that's about it. Lets not act the movie as a whole is all that memorable because it definitely is not, imo. 

what happened in avengers and bp again?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

what happened in avengers and bp again?

Yeah and could you help me remember what happened in Avatar again? ;) 

It must have slipped my mind.

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Disbelief 1

13 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

People didn't think a female superhero movie could succeed, before Wonder Woman. And that is why it will be remembered. In fact, it was the first superhero box office hit not led by a a white man since Hancock (2008).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

Yep talking about the same things week after week,   Keep it up guys

Don't worry, the Big wars are around the corner with the releases of Shazam and Little.

Edited by filmlover

Home is probably a good comparison for Dumbo now. Same release date, same OD. Thought it would do closer to Cinderella numbers, but really it could've been a lot worse for an ancient Disney IP that hasn't had much relevance since Tele knows when. At any rate, it does look like it will be their first one of these to miss the 200 mark DOM (not counting Alice 2 and Pete's Dragon bc they weren't remakes of WDAS movies). 

Edited by MovieMan89

I think Dumbo will play really young so makes sense it got revised upwards once evening post-school showings came in.

I also agree that it's going to be impossible to really see where it's going to fall until today's numbers come in and then how much/if Shazam will hit it (I think it plays too young for Shazam to really be relevant).

My suspicions are that it'll do just a bit better than it looks at present domestically, though International numbers aren't doing good.

Unplanned doesn't surprise me. I think the DOA arrival of the propaganda docs last year gave a false impression. The docs era was over and people are done with overt proslytising, but that doesn't mean that the persecution complex has gone away and the internal pretence that this film has some even-handedness will shave off some of the stigma that comes with other propaganda work. I think this will grow week on week for a few weeks. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

There is nothing more tiring than CBM fan wars.

Honesly if you aren't attatched to any party it's pretty funny to see everybody go nuts about small things.

So plz don't make another LOTR movie or I might be involved in the next fanwar. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2