sfran43

Weekend Thread: weekend #s (Actuals) Dumbo $45.99M, Us $33.23M, CM $20.66M

Good to see box office back again! This month has been interesting to follow after two months of some folks over predicting or whatever else. 

Dumbo yeah... it’s not doing blockbuster levels like other live-action films but a reminder remember look at the cast of the film... you have two celebrities who are box office poison(Eva Green and Collin Farrell). You also have a now poison film director(Tim Burton) who sabotaged his filmography with Johnny Depp films every other year.

Plus Dumbo while it is one of my favorite movies growing up and I’d love to revisit it someday down on the road again, it’s sadly not a talked about Disney flick like Cinderellla or Beauty & The Beast or Jungle Book. So anyway with a box office total if April doesn’t murder it $150-$165 million seems like the ceiling for its domestic performance... internationally will need to help out as well which it should be able to.

Us passing $100 million and should become the highest grossing film of 2019 already so far in its second weekend! The films marketing, word of mouth, and awareness and goodwill from Get Out... helped out the film tremendously! Also another note it actually will out Glass this weekend! Which is something no one on earth on these forums or in general speaking would have guessed. It should outgross Get Out smoothly.

speaking of Get Out, Us may break Get Out’s récord for the highest grossing original R-rated horror film. Which Get Out achieved 2 years ago by a record previously held by The Blair Witch Project.

Captain Marvel still pulling some nice lady muscles.... should do $400+ million domestically. 

I’m going to skip ahead to the two other new releases... since the other holdovers are alright(Five Feet Apart is a moderate hit). 

First off the two other film titles have fitting names to their tragic fates. Unplanned seemed to be very unplanned... as it only produced under $3 million should do $5-$6 million this weekend, which on a slight bright side it will be Pure Flix’s  2nd best debut behind Gods Not Dead 2.  

Then for The Beach Bum, which actually looked kinda fun.. however not many showings for it in my area. So it’s behaving like a bum... but this bum should be alright alright since it will be fine on late night showings on Netflix or wherever. So it’s gonna be l-I-v-I-n another life on media...giphy.gif

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Dumbo is doing fine given the lack of big buzz the last couple of weeks. Finding it difficult to get jazzed by the box office of late. 

4 more weeks my friend

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Eh, unless it under performs, even endgame is gonna slip into a predetermined bracket. Still nice and all but eh. 

Ummm, you know Us slipped out of that bracket just last week:)...can't have every movie blow through tracking by double digits to the positive...

• Like 3

last Friday made 47.3,

39.6 w/o Thurs previews, and increased to 55.5 on Saturday

this Friday made 40.7,

38.1 w/o Thurs previews, 

the niche hype of US dominated last week, and this week national attendance is still on par.  

anyone know which sets of weekdays are scheduled to hold the best #s.

anyone know the school schedules?

35 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Eh, unless it under performs, even endgame is gonna slip into a predetermined bracket. Still nice and all but eh. 

Nah, people are expecting the 260/680/2B, so when it does 290/800/2.4 it will really inject some life into this place :Venom:

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Maybe it's because the crows in Dumbo are racist as shit?  One of them is literally named "Jim Crow."  This isn't a matter of people being too delicate, this is a matter of the original movie having instances of racism that hold up terribly today (and were probably still pretty bad back then).

You could be right here, but racist characther isn't some argument by itself, 100% of the most snowflake ever can watch Downfall  without necessaliry being offended.

I would think a lot of them can watch 30s/40s stuff like the original King Kong and have the intellect to take the era into context and not be particularly offended.

I would imagine a lot of it is made up about how much offended people really get when they are alone.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

50 million is domestic... WW predictions are upwards of $130M. It's undeniable that this movie is at least gonna hit $250M WW which would be breaking even. It's not doing really good but it's the most I expect for an ancient rarely promoted property. 

A imagine a good well received Dumbo would have made a lot, look how giant a badly received one just opened too.

• Like 1

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

Nah, people are expecting the 260/680/2B, so when it does 290/800/2.4 it will really inject some life into this place

Your are all nuts (nicley meant) ;)

I'll never will get into my brain how people can 'expect' any movie to get $2b (no matter which one)

Hope for, guessing based on before performance,... that I can at least imagine (I never expect anything, I look into the finals, its probably the differences in how to approach the theme and the age difference as I am still used to lower results get praise too)

16 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Exams in June. Really need to pass them. Will be on and off till then.

Luckily I did poorly enough on my March exams that I’ll be completely free in April :ph34r:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 2

17 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Good thing, I guess.

... that may have been phrased in a deliberately misleading manner 😛    

I am away from school this quarter, but it’s more that I realized what I’m passionate doesn’t actually require a degree and I’m going to go explore it for a bit. Might be back at college in a year or so to finish up.

• Like 2