CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

Personally I hate the idea of a Potter sequel.

Something to be said about telling a complete story that definitively ends and then leave it the Hell alone. We can revisit it, pass it down to our kids and cherish it for the special gift we were blessed to receive.

But this is the entertainment industry. Nothing ever really ends (with rare exceptions). It just takes time off.

Realistically they're gonna go for it because Potter is their biggest money printer besides Batman.

• Like 1

HP is a saga just about Hogwarts. The novels are more like a kind of a magic thriller all set in the same closed place than a fantasy epic opera like the lord of the rings. Just look to the last novel, the first half where they're not at Hogwarts is probably the most flat part of all the saga, the second part is good as always. 

So in my opinioni nobody cares about the rise of Voldemort. How much can be interesting? What is different with the rise of Grindelwad. This wizarding world is just not special and very very derivative.

If they want to do something new it must be a new series with kids on Hogwarts, 

Edited by vale9001

Honestly they could have skipped completely Crimes of Grindelwald and done Secrets of Dumbledore directly after the first Fantastic Beasts and IMO it would have worked much better. Without going into details on the movie and how it ends, Secrets of Dumbledore could have been the middle chapter of a trilogy of movies focused on Newt, Dumbledore and Grindelwald.

I think Crimes of Grindelwald did a huge damage to the Fantastic Beasts brand. I am a huge Potter fan and I was not impressed by the first Fantastic Beasts but I did not dislike it either and was willing to give the series another try with the next one to see where it was going. However, after seeing how awful Crimes was I stopped caring, I went to watch Secrets of Dumbledore because one of my best friends wanted to go. Like myself, I think a lot of fans just don't care anymore. 

Good Friday is boosted and Sunday and Monday drops are normal if we look back at Clash of Titans and GI Joe 2 for Easter weekend. This will be frontloaded.

For FB3 I'm expecting 

6-20-15-10

45m opening weekend, 51m if we include previews

Edited by Mojoguy

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Good Friday is boosted and Sunday and Monday drops are normal if we look back at Clash of Titans and GI Joe 2 for Easter weekend. This will be frontloaded.

For FB3 I'm expecting 

6-20-15-10

I don't t think Easter means much in terms of box office. In the US it's not a public holiday..no days off....no 3 day weekend..so that makes it like any other weekend.

Though I agree with the final box office prediction.

Thing is, a WW movie should be opening much,much higher then 50 Million.

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

For FB3 I'm expecting 

6-20-15-10

20m True Friday off of just 6m previews, no way. Good Friday is boosted but so is Thursday night. F8 combined OD on Good Friday was about 4.4x previews compared to F9 about 4.2x. 

I think we're looking at 120M domestic and 300M worldwide when all is said and done, and that's being very generous. As for the future of the franchise, I think Warner Bros. is probably going to make more movies regardless. Not because they're necessarily popular, but because nobody really wants to be the guy who pulls the plug on it. 

7 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

I think we're looking at 120M domestic and 300M worldwide when all is said and done, and that's being very generous

300M in total is being generous?! Unless I read you wrong and you actually mean 420M, which is a better estimation. Myself I'd say somewhere around 450M.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TheBigYawn said:

300M in total is being generous?! Unless I read you wrong and you actually mean 420M, which is a better estimation. Myself I'd say somewhere around 450M.

I'll say it'll get a little above or around 365M internationally. Crimes of Grindelwald made 495M internationally so I'll be realistic and say it'll drop around 100 or so from that. Domestic I think it will get to the lower 100, like 110-120.

In Italy it made 900K dollars on the first day. On pair with the first movie and better than the second (but this second got previews the day before).

If I'm not wrong it's the best pandemic debut after Spider Man. 

note:  from today here schools are closed for easter holidays while the first two chapters were released on two "normal" november wednesdays, so this helps a lot. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

I just saw it. Miles better than CoG and full of heart but inherent problems persist.

The good:

-Law as Dumbledore, obviously, although a little too "still very smitten", after so many years on the fallout with Grindelwald. Like, get a life man, there are more fish in the pond.

- Jacob, and the movie plays him up immensely. If he wasn't a fan favorite, there's no way he would be such a big part of this story. 

- the story is more streamlined and there are less (also still present) info dumps.

- the titular beasts

- the ending is great

The bad:

- while I enjoy being in the world, the movie is still overlong and very talky.

- action scenes are good but Yates has a tendency to make them too short. Hard to get excited like that.

- the Credence plotline is easily the worst,  a frustrating cop out and a semi-retcon of the CoG finale. Grindelwald's revelation seems so random now.

- too little Queenie

- Newt as a protagonist never worked for me, he is just too quirky to be able to identify with.

The movie knows fully well chances are this is the last installment so it takes its time with the ending, stretching it out and tying loose ends (Tina's tiny appearance does have emotional weight). And, judging from the mini duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald, it's a pitty we probably won't see the main event on film.

7,5/10

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

420-450M on a supposed 200M budget still isn't much to write home about. If Warner Bros. wasn't having second thoughts about making Fantastic Beasts a five-movie series before, they probably are now. 

It's not a huge number but that's enough to justify going forward if Warner Bros is committed to the IP (which I don't think there's any doubt about). DUNE is a good example.

Even if a final FANTASTIC BEASTS film dropped further, it's basically just a write-off towards a Harry Potter legacy sequel/franchise and HBO Max spin-offs.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 1

Just now, ViewerAnon said:

It's not a huge number but that's enough to justify going forward if Warner Bros is committed to the IP (which I don't think there's any doubt about). DUNE is a good example.

You think they'll do 5 films? I think they'll end it with this film and apparently the ending is satisfying enough to close the trilogy...

Or do you mean continuing the IP with a new series?