TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

IT also didn't come close to a 3x multiplier and was the 4 quadrant equivalent for a horror movie. I guess that too had a mixed reception.

IT got a 2.7x despite opening with almost the double of US, being released in September, which is the worst month for legs, while US has SB to help it's legs. It's also an adaptation and didn't receive the same level of critical acclamation that US got. Not the best comparison. 

US also had strong cross over appeal btw, the percentage of black people was far above than the usual of the genre, it also appealed to Woman/men, over 25/ under 25 almost equal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I mean, how many acclaimed, original, mainstream horror movies even are there?

Outside of Peele, I mean, we're talking what? Sixth Sense? Signs? Anything in the last 10 years other than AQP?

The Conjuring 1, Split, Get Out, A Quiet Place, and several ones that opened below $30m.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

is dwarfing Shazam's marketing effort e

what marketing effort? I have so often read that ppl here got to see more US promo or... than Shazam! promo, some even saw no promo at all. That is one of the big question marks. Some even said (espacially in OS) WB dumped it without effort. Social media US reactions I've seen some rather surprised tweets like, I know they made it, but didn't know it got released this weekend, only accidentally found out....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

The Conjuring 1, Split, Get Out, A Quiet Place, and several ones that opened below $30m.

Right so.....not much precedent then given that Get Out is also by Peele and was not initially launched as a mainstream film, and anything that debuted under 30m is clearly not comparable.

I mean, nobody is arguing the case that Us has specifically good word of mouth - it doesn't as I've already said on this thread - but we're in pretty rare territory here in that there's not much precedent in the first place in original horrors opening with the kind of figure Us did, least of all ones that are of an auteur/conceptual nature. AQP - due to its structure and the fact it's just as readable as a survival movie with family drama as a horror film and The Conjuring - due to its jump-scare nature are themselves fairly awkward equivalents. The biggest equivalent is early M Night, and yes I suspect in time Peele is setting himself up for a similar trajectory including potential falloff: except Peele clearly has far more pure filmaking tendencies that override story and nobody is likely to start throwing 50, 60, 70m at Peele to make whatever he wants as started happening to M Night. 

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

4 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I mean, how many acclaimed, original, mainstream horror movies even are there?

Outside of Peele, I mean, we're talking what? Sixth Sense? Signs? Anything in the last 10 years other than AQP?

Acclaimed being a bit of a big word, going for well receive (green on MC).

First Conjuring, Split, Don't breathe and A quiet place, Get Out, 

Borderline case: Annihilation (more sci-fi),  Cabin in the woods (more comedy, but so was Get Out and It), Black Swan (thriller), Crimson Peak (Gothic romance), 1408 (was more than 10 year's ago by now already)

13 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

IT got a 2.7x despite opening with almost the double of US, being released in September, which is the worst month for legs, while US has SB to help it's legs. It's also an adaptation and didn't receive the same level of critical acclamation that US got. Not the best comparison. 

US also had strong cross over appeal btw, the percentage of black people was far above than the usual of the genre, it also appealed to Woman/men, over 25/ under 25 almost equal.

And? How many horror movies have reached those heights in the first place? You're just being nitpicky. 

3 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Right so.....not much precedent then given that Get Out is also by Peele and was not initially launched as a mainstream film, and anything that debuted under 30m is clearly not comparable.

I mean, nobody is arguing the case that Us has specifically good word of mouth - it doesn't as I've already said on this thread - but we're in pretty rare territory here in that there's not much precedent in the first place in original horrors opening with the kind of figure Us did, least of all ones that are of an auteur/conceptual nature. AQP - due to its structure and the fact it's just as readable as a survival movie with family drama as a horror film and The Conjuring - due to its jump-scare nature are themselves fairly awkward equivalents. The biggest equivalent is early M Night, and yes I suspect in time Peele is setting himself up for a similar trajectory except Peele clearly has far more pure filmaking tendencies that override story and nobody is likely to start throwing 50, 60, 70m at Peele to make whatever he wants as started happening to M Night. 

Initial fanboy rush doesn't equal to weak legs, evidence: Every Nolan movie, they're always front-loaded during the OW, thanks to his fanbase, but always have leggy run.

But yeah, you got my point, I don't think US had negative reception, but I'm sure it was extremely mixed, otherwise it would've been crossing $200m easily with the OW it had. At the end of day, it's going to finish on the same range as GO, despite opening with the double. 

And? How many horror movies have reached those heights in the first place? You're just being nitpicky

The Conjuring broke the original Horror movie record back in the day, ended at 3.5x despite strong competition.

AQP broke the same record, it got a 3.8x.

IT opened with almost the double of US, it also had a far better multiple.

US opened $20m above AQP, and $50m below IT, by the logical, it should've playing a lot closer to AQP than to IT, don't you think? 

Just now, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Initial fanboy rush doesn't equal to weak legs, evidence: Every Nolan movie, they're always front-loaded during the OW, thanks to his fanbase, but always have leggy run.

But yeah, you got my point, I don't think US had negative reception, but I'm sure it was extremely mixed, otherwise it would've been crossing $200m easily with the OW it had. At the end of day, it's going to finish on the same range as GO, despite opening with the double. 

Nolan movies appeal to a mostly different demographic than horror movies do. His last three non-Batman pictures in particular have skewed older (and those types of crowds don't rush out on opening weekend, hence the much better legs).

Just now, filmlover said:

Nolan movies appeal to a mostly different demographic than horror movies do. His last three non-Batman pictures in particular have skewed older (and those types of crowds don't rush out on opening weekend, hence the much better legs).

Didn’t you read my post? US appealed to every single demo: White/Black, Over 25/ Under 25, Man, Female. It’s almost a four quadrant movie. 

The Conjuring broke the original Horror movie record back in the day, ended at 3.5x despite strong competition.

AQP broke the same record, it got a 3.8x.

IT opened with almost the double of US, it also had a far better multiple.

US opened $20m above AQP, and $50m below IT, by the logical, it should've playing a lot closer to AQP than to IT, don't you think? 

Us' final multiplier isn't gonna be that far off from IT. Stop reaching. lol.

It still pretty bad to me that it's going to finish below IT's multiple despite opening with almost the half of the numbers and being an original movie. 

You are aware that Us was basically sold as a spiritual sequel to Get Out, right? And weren't you complaining about Pet Sematary's numbers just the other day even though they too are perfectly fine? @DAR do what needs to be done and drop a "goddamnit the people who actually know how box office works are talking" bomb.

• Like 1

You are aware that Us was basically sold as a spiritual sequel to Get Out, right? And weren't you complaining about Pet Sematary's numbers just the other day even though they too are perfectly fine? @DAR do what needs to be done and drop a "goddamnit the people who actually know how box office works are talking" bomb.

US is an original movie, once again, initial fanboy rush doesn't equal to weak legs.

I said PS was a disappointment considering the strong pre-sales it got that showed a far bigger OW than $25m, and even Baumer agreed with me, I guess he needs to learn about B.O too?

49 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dragon is gonna have like the third worst multi in the entire animated top 100 grossers, along with Shrek 3 and Minions. What the hell happened? 

Guessing a combination of young adult fan  rush and Captain Marvel hitting hit hard third week

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Guessing a combination of young adult fan  rush and Captain Marvel hitting hit hard third week

It must have skewed very teen/adult, that's the only explanation. It's extremely rare for animation to ever miss 3x, and the few that have were widely regarded to be trash films. This is pretty much a first ever for an animated movie that by all metrics seemed very well received. So yeah, the kid appeal must have been extremely small I guess. 

Edited by MovieMan89

52 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dragon is gonna have like the third worst multi in the entire animated top 100 grossers, along with Shrek 3 and Minions. What the hell happened? 

It's the third film in a franchise that began almost ten years ago (and the previous movie was almost half a decade ago). Makes sense that it was a bit frontloaded.

30 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

what marketing effort? I have so often read that ppl here got to see more US promo or... than Shazam! promo, some even saw no promo at all. That is one of the big question marks. Some even said (espacially in OS) WB dumped it without effort. Social media US reactions I've seen some rather surprised tweets like, I know they made it, but didn't know it got released this weekend, only accidentally found out....

Yep if Shazam fails to hit 400 it's the fault of WB. 450 probably was obtainable with a little effort on their part. Perhaps they really did want to spend as little as possible. Makes the break even easier I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It's the third film in a franchise that began almost ten years ago (and the previous movie was almost half a decade ago). Makes sense that it was a bit frontloaded.

Again, it's in the company of a very shortlist of animated films ever to miss 3x though. That just doesn't happen. So the performance is still rather shocking to me.