TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

2 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Yup, 300 M WW is the goal? It got hurt by Shazam ! in every way, it's just too old school, it doesn't have the razzle and dazzle of Aladdin, TLK, Cinderella, The Beauty & The Beast, Jungle Book. It's a good film too. 

It held much better O/S than domestic.  After a $39m w/e and standing at  $137.5m it should do at least $325 WW

13 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Hey, that's on the higher end despite China ! 

Hell Deadline said 150 million WW at first before the weekend. Its over that and that is with its underperformance in China. This is a very good number.

• Like 2

Shazam couldn't quite squeak to the $60M overall box office running DOM number (even I'm not expecting a 15% Sunday drop to make that happen - although it would be a GREAT day if that were to come true...that'd be a heckuva WOM-indicating figure:)...I'll eat some crow for that, but I think I'll stick to my total DOM number for now:)...

• Like 3

Just now, mulderfox said:

Hell Deadline said 150 million WW at first before the weekend. Its over that and that is with its underperformance in China. This is a very good number.

Exactly, but you can be sure many will spin it the other way.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I think Shazam can reach Ant-man final numbers in the OS territories (except for the Asian ones I guess because of worse WOM) even with Endgame releasing. Endgame is releasing Shazam's 4th weekend and Ant-Man was pretty much done in most OS territories by the end of its 4th weekend.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Horror is horror at the end of the day. Box office wise they kind of play out in a typical way. I saw Us as having a ceiling of around $200 million. It was just a matter of how quickly it would get there. The massive opening paved the way for these typical horror drops. Everyone came out opening weekend.  Peele is now a brand. He wasn’t pre-Get Out - hence the difference in the runs of the two movies. 

I don’t see Us’s drops as anything to do with audience reaction particularly. Everybody has seen it already. A huge segment of its total audience turned up in the first week. 

You can’t convince somebody scared of horrors to go see a horror movie. 

I think that IT did that, though. You don't earn 327M dom and 700M WW from horror fans only. the movie clearly crossed over and people who usually skip horror checked that one out.

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Shazam couldn't quite squeak to the $60M overall box office running DOM number (even I'm not expecting a 15% Sunday drop to make that happen - although it would be a GREAT day if that were to come true...that'd be a heckuva WOM-indicating figure:)...I'll eat some crow for that, but I think I'll stick to my total DOM number for now:)...

Crow? You should treat yourself to some of the finest beer you can find. You came damn close on your prediction and held to it even when things seemed to be unraveling Thursday afternoon. (And I'll wager anything this is going to get even closer to $60 by the time the finals come in.) High fives!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think that IT did that, though. You don't earn 327M dom and 700M WW from horror fans only. the movie clearly crossed over and people who usually skip horror checked that one out.

Sure, but IT was not a full-on horror. It was Goonies, Stranger Things 80’s teenage stuff - youngsters showed up in droves, despite the R rating. 

I wouldn’t put it in the same genre myself. 

Us is a full-on adult horror. 

IT brought in a whole other audience, basically as it was a different genre - with horror elements. 

14 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

So basically Ant-Man numbers.. everyone was freaking out here but it's going to end up being a hit and reportedly has a small budget. It's fine, would have liked to see more but it's Shazam, not a household name.

I'll admit I hoped for 600 M + after the trailers and first reactions but this is very satisfying. I don't know if they're thinking of Black Adam for the sequel, maybe it's too soon, but having The Rock in there would definitely give it a big boost. 

And yeah, this would have been great in the winter. 

19 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

No need to eat crow at all. From the beginning, you read this movie’s performance better than most on this forum. I think you did great. So what if the numbers fell short of 60M exactly. You were close enough. 

• Like 1