TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It added 43.7% more theaters and it's PTA dropped 65% - that's horrible

Mar 29–31 4 $6,382,298 - 1,059 - $6,027 $6,382,298 1
Apr 5–7 8 $3,200,000
(Estimate)
-49.9% 1,516 +457 $2,111 $12,467,510
(Estimate)

What made them think more people wanted to watch it? 

1 minute ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Some of you seemed obsessed with perpetuating this narrative that started before the weekend of how EG would destroy Shazam. Some people predicted Shazam would do 40 million or less because of lack of presales due to EG. Shazam is NOT to be compared with EG. WB was never trying to have it compete on that scale. Shazam did wonderfully well this weekend and overperformed for WB based on tracking. End of story. EG and CM didn’t hurt it as much as some of you guys suspected, so maybe it is time to move on. Enjoy the Shazam ride and wait for the EG tsunami. As  twomisfits said, the movies can co-exist. I guarantee that there is no crying at WB studios this morning. 

I think you guys are taking his comments out of context tbh.  

I agree and do think EG and CM hype did hurt Shazam a bit and that it would of done better in another release spot as well. I’m happy it’s doing what’s it doing but I think WB knows they made a mistake here and it potentially could of done more. I don’t think that opinion is a slight on Shazam or it’s box office though.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Some of you seem obsessed with perpetuating this narrative that started before the weekend of how EG would destroy Shazam. Some people predicted Shazam would do 40 million or less because of lack of presales due to EG. Shazam is NOT to be compared with EG. WB was never trying to have it compete on that scale. Shazam did wonderfully well this weekend and overperformed for WB based on tracking. End of story. EG and CM didn’t hurt it as much as some of you guys suspected, so maybe it is time to move on. Enjoy the Shazam ride and wait for the EG tsunami. As  twomisfits said, the movies can co-exist. I guarantee that there is no crying at WB studios this morning. 

This isn't narrative, this is fact. EG hype is dwarfing Shazam's marketing effort especially the record-breaking presale and all the poster stories. 

Shazam is doing good but that shouldn't stop anyone for hoping more. I am sure WB won't be crying too but what is the downside of making more money? 

4 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Some of you seem obsessed with perpetuating this narrative that started before the weekend of how EG would destroy Shazam. Some people predicted Shazam would do 40 million or less because of lack of presales due to EG. Shazam is NOT to be compared with EG. WB was never trying to have it compete on that scale. Shazam did wonderfully well this weekend and overperformed for WB based on tracking. End of story. EG and CM didn’t hurt it as much as some of you guys suspected

or at all...  so maybe it is time to move on. Enjoy the Shazam ride and wait for the EG tsunami. As  twomisfits said, the movies can co-exist. I guarantee that there is no crying at WB studios this morning. 

I agree.

I think that WB knew what they were doing. If they really felt that EG and CM would absolutely kill Shazam!, they would have released it in another date, far away from anything related to IW/EG. But Shazam! will do fine, the WOM seems to be out of this world (look at that Saturday drop), and it has three weeks all to itself before the storm that is about to destroy everything in its path. By the time EG opens, Shazam! will be well in the black, and anything else beyond that will be gravy. And then, I bet the sequel will certainly increase. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I think you guys are taking his comments out of context tbh.  

I agree and do think EG and CM hype did hurt Shazam a bit and that it would of done better in another release spot as well. I’m happy it’s doing what’s it doing but I think WB knows they made a mistake here and it potentially could of done more. I don’t think that opinion is a slight on Shazam or it’s box office though.  

Completely disagree. If Shazam had opened in February, you guys would have cried about how WB was so dumb to open a movie so close to CM. The studio made the right call here. They will need to turn their attention to their bigger budget and more high risk releases. This was a nice win for WB. Mostly, it’s people here lamenting about things we can never know. As it is, Shazam will be a money maker. I don’t think Disney was upset with the openings of the original Antman, Captain America or Thor movies. This was a moderate budgeted movie meant to make a profit and not meant to be a huge money maker. Let’s be realistic. Sure, it is always nice to make more money. But to spin Shazam into a what could have been does undermine its performance. 

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's the same narrow demographic that had God's Not Dead at almost $65m with two more misbegotten sequels.

Exactly!

And correct me if I am wrong, but didn't that narrow demo also made Passion of the Christ a 370-million grossing phenomenon in 2004? 

1 minute ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Completely disagree. If Shazam has opened in February, you guys would have cried about how WB was so dumb to open a movie so close to CM. The studio made the right call here. They will need to turn their attention to their bigger budget and more high rush releases. This was a nice win for WB. Mostly, it’s people here lamenting about things we can never know. As it is, Shazam will be a money maker. I don’t think Disney was upset with the openings of the originals Antman or Captain America or Thor movies. This was a moderate budgeted movie meant to make a profit and not meant to be a huge money maker. Let’s be realistic. Sure, it is always nice to make more money. But to spin Shazam into a what could have been does undermine its performance. 

I disagree but I’m obviously not going to change your mind and you won’t change mine so I’d rather not go on about it for 20 posts. 

I loved Shazam and am happy it’s here, seeing it for a third time today. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Completely disagree. If Shazam had opened in February, you guys would have cried about how WB was so dumb to open a movie so close to CM. The studio made the right call here. They will need to turn their attention to their bigger budget and more high risk releases. This was a nice win for WB. Mostly, it’s people here lamenting about things we can never know. As it is, Shazam will be a money maker. I don’t think Disney was upset with the openings of the originals Antman or Captain America or Thor movies. This was a moderate budgeted movie meant to make a profit and not meant to be a huge money maker. Let’s be realistic. Sure, it is always nice to make more money. But to spin Shazam into a what could have been does undermine its performance. 

I actually agree with both your point and their point.

And the end of the day, I feel that Shazam! could have opened higher in another date but I also feel that it is doing tremendously well all things considered, and it will be an easy win for WB regardless...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Completely disagree. If Shazam had opened in February, you guys would have cried about how WB was so dumb to open a movie so close to CM. The studio made the right call here. They will need to turn their attention to their bigger budget and more high risk releases. This was a nice win for WB. Mostly, it’s people here lamenting about things we can never know. As it is, Shazam will be a money maker. I don’t think Disney was upset with the openings of the original Antman, Captain America or Thor movies. This was a moderate budgeted movie meant to make a profit and not meant to be a huge money maker. Let’s be realistic. Sure, it is always nice to make more money. But to spin Shazam into a what could have been does undermine its performance. 

No one thought Shazam is doing poor, we are talking about how much money had been potentially left on the table.

Shazam survived all the EG's storm thanks to its great reviews, not because of EG's hype has no effect on it.  

Being in the top business executive is to unleash every single potential of the project with its minimum cost, instead of being self-satisfied. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

No one thought Shazam is doing poor, we are talking about how much money had been potentially left on the table.

Shazam survived all the EG's storm thanks to its great reviews, not because of EG's hype has no effect on it.  

Being in the top business executive is to unleash every single potential of the project with its minimum cost, instead of being self-satisfied. 

No. In business the calculation is risk v reward. Studios do not go for broke on every project. 

7 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Exactly!

And correct me if I am wrong, but didn't that narrow demo also made Passion of the Christ a 370-million grossing phenomenon in 2004? 

Passion of The Christ seemed to appeal more broadly to Christians in the U.S. and abroad vs appealing to just the more extremist U.S. Evangelical branches,

• Like 4

Just now, Ms Lady Hawk said:

No. In business the calculation is risk v reward. Studios do not go for broke on every project. 

Lol, try to evaluate the risk of putting a well received movie in a relatively quieter February, instead of battle two front and sandwiched between two mega blockbusters.   

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Lol, try to evaluate the risk of putting a well received movie in a relatively quieter February, instead of battle two front and sandwiched between two mega blockbusters.   

Perhaps the calculation was that Shazam had a better chance of weathering the CM and EG sandwich more than the Lego movie. Dumbo could have also been a consideration for releasing the movies in the way they were released. You cannot have myopic and tunnel vision. You act as if they are evaluation individual movies in a vacuum. The studio must place all (most) of their movies- sometimes years in advance based on the marketplace and space available. 

I'm glad for how it did in DOM. However as for overall I'm still not convinced it hits 400 WW. If thats the case say 385, it's definitely fair to point out the impact of End Game and CM. We shall see.

Either way, OW domestically it did really well.

18 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Exactly!

The Passion caused controversy among everybody back in the day, not just Christians.

Just now, DAJK said:

Five Feet Apart must have excellent word of mouth; movies targeting primarily teenage girls usually drop pretty hard. Great run for it, and good news for its leads.

It's gonna end up with an even higher multiplier than Love, Simon did last year. Already surpassed that movie's total.

• Like 1