TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I still blame End Game enormous hype for killing any chance of Shazam going over tracking.

It is doing well within expectation and there are potential to be overindexed but sadly overshadowed by the EG's hype during the week leading to its release  

Shazam did go over domestic tracking...on March 14, it was tracking to $40M...

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/shazam-box-office-opening-weekend-early-tracking-1203162051/  and the last minute tracking Thursday had it between $45-$50M https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/shazam-box-office-opening-weekend-pet-sematary-1203177258/ so, one thing Shazam did do was beat tracking, although maybe not as well as I would have hoped:)...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

No need to eat crow at all. From the beginning, you read this movie’s performance better than most on this forum. I think you did great. So what if the numbers fell short of 60M exactly. You were close enough. 

Weekends suck for likes - I'm out, but I owe you one...and thanks!:)

• Like 1

Good numbers for Shazam despite what happened in China. I think Black Adam could be a much bigger movie with The Rock and making it a more action-heavy film (which it sounds like it will be). I stand by what I said that, if Black Adam turns out good and Shazam 2 maintains the quality of the first one (and increases the overall box office a bit from the first one), a Shazam/Black Adam movie is going to make a lot of money. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Shazam did go over domestic tracking...on March 14, it was tracking to $40M...

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/shazam-box-office-opening-weekend-early-tracking-1203162051/  and the last minute tracking Thursday had it between $45-$50M https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/shazam-box-office-opening-weekend-pet-sematary-1203177258/ so, one thing Shazam did do was beat tracking, although maybe not as well as I would have hoped:)...

Those tracking were way unrealistically low , even spider-verse got 35m opening, how can be this doing as low as 45m?

Given that shazam is relatively unknown and small, urge factor won't be high and more like walk ups based movie, so go over tracking is understandable no matter how tracking suggested. 

It is not like now market is over-saturated with movies, the YTD total gross is 500m+ lower than last year, and doing the lowest in 5 years. Definitely there are space or hidden demand that paving the way for a movie to be a surprise hit but sadly not shazam. 

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, ChipMunky said:

Literally every film borrows something from something. Keep stretching.

Exactly. I also find it odd that any MCU stan would actually dare (yes, dare) point out any lack of originality in any movie. I love me some MCU but damn...

Anyway, great Saturday hold for Shazam.

And no matter how one slices it, US is a big hit.

It is expected that Peele would already get somewhat of a backlash. Everything and everyone that is successful will at some point get accused of being "overrated" and "unoriginal" (and yes, that includes the MCU)...

It just comes with the territory of being a big hit...

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Those tracking were way unrealistically low , even spider-verse got 35m opening, how can be this doing as low as 45m?

Given that shazam is relatively unknown and small, urge factor won't be high and more like walk ups based movie, so go over tracking is understandable no matter how tracking suggested. 

It is not like now market is over-saturated with movies, the YTD total gross is 500m+ lower than last year, and doing the lowest in 5 years. Definitely there are space or hidden demand that paving the way for a movie to be a surprise hit but sadly not shazam. 

The tracking was the tracking...I thought it was low, and it was...but they didn't use different metrics on this movie to track than they did on any of the movies out in 2019...in the last 4 weeks, Wonder Park and Five Feet Apart beat tracking, Us beat tracking, Dumbo went quite below tracking, and Shazam went above tracking...so, tracking is usually not as "on target" as we want to believe, and movies do have the chance to finish both above and below the ranges...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The tracking was the tracking...I thought it was low, and it was...but they didn't use different metrics on this movie to track than they did on any of the movies out in 2019...in the last 4 weeks, Wonder Park and Five Feet Apart beat tracking, Us beat tracking, Dumbo went quite below tracking, and Shazam went above tracking...so, tracking is usually not as "on target" as we want to believe, and movies do have the chance to finish both above and below the ranges...

At least next week there will be a one week Easter holiday  for Shazam to shine, expect some crazy holds during mid-week

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I still blame End Game enormous hype for killing any chance of Shazam going over tracking.

It is doing well within expectation and there are potential to be overindexed but sadly overshadowed by the EG's hype during the week leading to its release  

I think that Shazam did really well all things considered. it had a very unfortunate release date with both CM and EG drawing much more interest. In particular, putting EG tickets on sale in the same week of Shazam release was a big blow but it recovered since OW exceeded tracking. 

I just think that WB underestimated CM hold. I think they expected it to be one week wonder but it kept holding and cross-promo with EG gave it a nice extra push on top of already existing interest. so MCU was constant source of hype for 2 months straight (February was all lead up to CM with very muted Shazam marketing as many noted, while March was CM hype + lead-up to EG and now April is EG countdown). I'm baffled that WB couldn't see this coming but, again, Shazam did better than expected under circumstances. It's got great reviews, exceeded tracking and 100M budget is reasonable enough to make it profitable and secure the sequel. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

The hoopla over Unplanned the previous weekend really makes no sense. A $6,000 PTA in 1,000 theaters is not terrible, but it is not anything extraordinary either. The drop really is not surprising. 

It added 43.7% more theaters and it's PTA dropped 65% - that's horrible

Mar 29–31 4 $6,382,298 - 1,059 - $6,027 $6,382,298 1
Apr 5–7 8 $3,200,000
(Estimate)
-49.9% 1,516 +457 $2,111 $12,467,510
(Estimate)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I think that Shazam did really well all things considered. it had a very unfortunate release date with both CM and EG drawing much more interest. In particular, putting EG tickets on sale in the same week of Shazam release was a big blow but it recovered since OW exceeded tracking. 

I just think that WB underestimated CM hold. I think they expected it to be one week wonder but it kept holding and cross-promo with EG gave it a nice extra push on top of already existing interest. so MCU was constant source of hype for 2 months straight (February was all lead up to CM with very muted Shazam marketing as many noted, while March was CM hype + lead-up to EG and now April is EG countdown). I'm baffled that WB couldn't see this coming but, again, Shazam did better than expected under circumstances. It's got great reviews, exceeded tracking and 100M budget is reasonable enough to make it profitable and secure the sequel. 

Exactly, every ads and movie news was talking about how EG breaking record in presale. Every movie fans online was talking about the colour vs black & white poster of EG . It is hard to grab attention from the crowd.

That is why I been thinking, February could be better spot for Shazam.With great reviews, Shazam didn't need to deal with all the CM+EG hype. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Exactly, every ads and movie news was talking about how EG breaking record in presale. Every movie fans online was talking about the colour vs black & white poster of EG . It is hard to grab attention from the crowd.

That is why I been thinking, February could be better spot for Shazam.With great reviews, Shazam didn't need to deal with all the CM+EG hype. 

agreed. too bad that WB made lego 2 which nobody needed and put it in Feb. Shazam should have come out first, before CM and especially EG hype. I bet WB execs were crying in their beer when EG tickets went on sale and the whole thing (trailer, posters, record-breaking sales) toplined the news and trending for days. 

So that Shazam still managed respectable opening shows that quality does matter. Probably would be toast with weaker reviews. When circumstances are extremely unfavorable, quality is the savior.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Some of you seem obsessed with perpetuating this narrative that started before the weekend of how EG would destroy Shazam. Some people predicted Shazam would do 40 million or less because of lack of presales due to EG. Shazam is NOT to be compared with EG. WB was never trying to have it compete on that scale. Shazam did wonderfully well this weekend and overperformed for WB based on tracking. End of story. EG and CM didn’t hurt it as much as some of you guys suspected

or at all...  so maybe it is time to move on. Enjoy the Shazam ride and wait for the EG tsunami. As  twomisfits said, the movies can co-exist. I guarantee that there is no crying at WB studios this morning. 

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It added 43.7% more theaters and it's PTA dropped 65% - that's horrible

Mar 29–31 4 $6,382,298 - 1,059 - $6,027 $6,382,298 1
Apr 5–7 8 $3,200,000
(Estimate)
-49.9% 1,516 +457 $2,111 $12,467,510
(Estimate)

I'm actually impressed it didn't drop more given its extremely narrow demographic.

• Like 1