TMP

Weekend Thread | Actuals - The Other Captain Marvel 53.5 | The Secret Death of Pets 24.5 | Pachyderm Joker 18.2 | The Just-Us League 13.8 | Formerly Known as Ms. Marvel 12.4

Horror is horror at the end of the day. Box office wise they kind of play out in a typical way. I saw Us as having a ceiling of around $200 million. It was just a matter of how quickly it would get there. The massive opening paved the way for these typical horror drops. Everyone came out opening weekend.  Peele is now a brand. He wasn’t pre-Get Out - hence the difference in the runs of the two movies. 

I don’t see Us’s drops as anything to do with audience reaction particularly. Everybody has seen it already. A huge segment of its total audience turned up in the first week. 

You can’t convince somebody scared of horrors to go see a horror movie. 

6 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Oh that China #s hurt!😢

Big time, sucks it couldn’t connect more but some of those numbers are actually a bit better then I expected, so I’m happy about that at least. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Alli said:

Poor Dumbo. :(

Yup, 300 M WW is the goal? It got hurt by Shazam ! in every way, it's just too old school, it doesn't have the razzle and dazzle of Aladdin, TLK, Cinderella, The Beauty & The Beast, Jungle Book. It's a good film too. 

Shazam is a new release and a family film. It is predicted to drop 33% on Sunday. Dumbo is also a family film in its second week and is expected to drop 30%. If Shazam also drops 30%, then its gross will be 54M. With previews, it would be over 57M. 

1 minute ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Hell, if Shazam ! made 100 M over there, as was the prediction early on, they would only get 25 M. 

Considering that P&A for the region is minimal for studios in China that's bad not compared to the avg 40% studios receives O/S.  It's the paucity of ancillary market that's the biggest issue when it comes to revenues there.

By bombing in China Shazam is "only" losing about 12,5M in profit. If Shazam had played out like a normal solo superhero movie in China it would have grossed around 100M and thus earned a profit of 25M from China. Now Shazam will earn only around 12M of profits from China. But either way not large sums of profit either way.

Its much more important for Shazam to do well in the US were the studio keeps 55 % of the box office returns. If Shazam had bombed in the US and done well in China that would have been terrible for Shazam's profit potential. Luckily that didn't happen.

• Like 2

A Black Adam movie has the potential to make more than Shazam? With the Rock starring not to mention most likely having bigger action / spectacle, I think it's a very good possibiliy. 

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Great start for Pet Sematary. 

The Shazam China number isn’t great. What are we expecting it to finish with internationall then? $250m? 

$400m worldwide seems doable. 

250mil would be 2.5 multi before it's kicked out by EG, and China will settle at 50mil~