Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

4 minutes ago, Blankments said:

why would either of them want to co-direct an avengers movie

Just named 2 two random existing MCU directors. The point being that the only directing duo they currently have is Borden and fleck, so their options will be something like:  

have one person direct and be flattened like a pancake 2/3rds through production  

hire a directing duo that’s never been in MCU yet

Boden and Fleck  

some kind of directing team pulled from existing MCU directors, likely based on focal characters and themes of that particular Avengers entry

16 hours ago, Porthos said:

Throwing out the exact theater comp since EG is playing in far more theaters than IW.  Also throwing out DP2 as that didn't have 3D and it over-performed locally.  And CM over-performed here locally as well, though not to the degree that DP2 did.

So, three possible worlds:

World One (BP/IW comp):                               66.21m 

World Two (Solo/Venom/JW2/AM2 comps):   53.95m

World Three (mid-point of previous comps):  60.08m

Let's go with 60.08m, FINAL ANSWER.

Probably wrong.  Actually almost certainly wrong as projections break down at the extreme.  But that's the number I'll be happy with if I see it when it comes to comps.  

And if I see 55m or so, then I know that IW and BP really need to be nuked for future comps, as they over-predicted CM as well, when everything else was much close.

Find out soon enuf. :)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

Just named 2 two random existing MCU directors. The point being that the only directing duo they currently have is Borden and fleck, so their options will be something like:  

have one person direct and be flattened like a pancake 2/3rds through production  

hire a directing duo that’s never been in MCU yet

Boden and Fleck  

some kind of directing team pulled from existing MCU directors, likely based on focal characters and themes of that particular Avengers entry

I'm sure Alan Taylor and Louis Leterrier would be open to co-directing Avengers 5

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

I'm sure Alan Taylor and Louis Leterrier would be open to co-directing Avengers 5

😛    

Ones that are still active in the MCU and affiliated with the newer cast — phase 4 directors.

54 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I know tonally we just watched this epic weepfest and now we have to watch this cutesy teen rom-com about a kid going on vacation? lol

A rom-com with Zendaya and Holland, count me in. And Gyllenhaal as a bad guy, Yeah 100% count me in.

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Disney has Endgame, Lion King, Frozen 2, and Star Was all this year.

Monopoly, time to break them up.

don't forget Aladdin. it's such a shame the other studios can't possibly compete

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

When will Feige become CEO of Disney? 

I know this was said as kinda jokey but I'll answer it seriously. Not happening. No person from their film division will become the next CEO anytime soon. Their most profitable divisions are the TV division (mainly because of ESPN) and the theme parks division. The film division is only third. If you want to know the 3 frontrunners to succeed Iger in 2021, I'll list it down.

1. Kevin Mayer- he is the head of Disney's Direct-to-Consumer and International. So just think of Disney+ and Hulu, he handles them. He also served as Disney's Chief Strategy Officer. He was one of the brains behind the acquisition of Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Fox. So if he becomes the next CEO, expect more acquisitions.

2. Peter Rice- he is the head of Walt Disney Television. He came from Fox.

3. Bob Chapek- he is the theme parks, resorts, and consumer products (merch) head.

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

True, but if this reaches €300m+ then the only non Avengers/MCU/Star Wars movie over $200m opening is JW at $208$. Having to find an extra $100m is not going  to be easy. Star Wars biggest is at $247m, so they could in theory do it for their big Skywalker finale. But not sure the hype is big enough to add $50m+. Including Endgame only 7 movies have opened over $200m, to find that extra $100m will be next to impossible, unless you are MCU or start a franchise that builds hype over years like they have done. Feel like this will stand until the next Avengers movie, or the next new hit franchise that makes something crazy unique and their finale movie goes bonkers.

Yeah, but we're the lucky recipients of some great timing.

Seriously, what are the odds the MCU would put out 22 movies in a ~10 year period, none of them would be terrible, and 19 of them (including *everything* in the past 5 years) would be good to outstanding. No one's ever told a story like that, and the Potter movies are the only thing I can think of with a quality hit-rate like that. And then they cap it off with a two-movie pair that could at least be argued to have been the best of the lot (IW could arguably have been the very best MCU movie, and EG was in the top 4-5 and had the best done fan-service of any movie I've ever seen).

So, yeah. 5 years ago, if you said the MCU cap-stone movie would break all the OW records, I'd have said "Well, sure, it could. IF it pulls off this really unlikely chain of events." It was unlikely they would accomplish it, so I'd have thought the TFA was pretty safe. The surprise isn't that they're breaking the records, the surprise is that they accomplished all the steps needed to be in a position to do it. Once they hit all those home runs, they just had to stick the landing, and they did.

It didn't break the records, but I still have no explanation for Jurassic World.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, grim22 said:

@MrPink is threadbanned for 2 days. As a reminder, even tagged spoilers are not allowed in the weekend thread.

21 minutes ago, grim22 said:

@CJohn has been threadbanned for one day for quoting untagged spoilers.

The mods will discuss and see if we can hand out warnings

PLEASE REPORT ANY SPOILERS, TAGGED OR OTHERWISE, AND ANY TROLLISH POSTS.

Why were they banned from the thread only 1-2 days? Is this some new benefit for those ones who have gold account? At least 1 week ban from every avengers thread would be fair.

• Knock It Off 6