Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

The OW record will hold at least 10 years.

MARK

MY

WORDS.

All the biggest movie franchises of the last 50 years have peaked, all the biggest brands and characters from all mediums of the last 200+ years have already been adapted in cinema.

And the ones that are left (especially in manga and video games) are not the size of what we talking about.

You can't have HUGE numbers without huge prior awareness.

The only outlier could be a BOT member that is currently writing the new LOTR/Potter book for a release in 2023 and an adaptation for 2027.

And if Avatar 2 ends up making Godlike Avatar/Titanic numbers, we all know the OW will be kinda soft.

And you can't have such a gigantic opening with a completely new and original IP.

Case closed AFAIC.

The deed is Done.

The only Thanos sized opponent to Endgame's OW is INFLATION.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Monday number was arguably even crazier than the weekend's. I think that's when there was no more doubt about 500m. 

I kind of wonder why TDK didn’t have a higher OW. It’s Friday gross was $67 million, so it’s weird that it didn’t finish with something higher than $158 million.

7 minutes ago, Assumption said:

How much should Avengers 5 be realistically expected to open to?

I'd have to think it resets a bit. I just don't see the remaining characters having the same impact on audiences. And yes I realize Ironman wasn't exactly an A lister when this all started...

Captain Marvel is such a blank slate. 

Black Panther deserved a better movie. Maybe he gets one. 

Spider man will likely revert back to Sony...I think they're building their hubris back up again with the minor success they enjoyed with Venom and won't renew the deal with Disney. 

And I'm not sure Marvel is really ready to embrace the weirdness that would make Doctor Strange really stand out. 

Just now, captainwondyful said:

Moreover, with the time zone differences 9PM EST/6PM PST, and with HBO airing the episode again after John Oliver, it is pretty easy for someone — on either coast — to watch both on   Sunday. 

That said, I am curious at what HBO reports. I could see the live episode being lower, but the overall (steaming, DVR, etc) being consistent with this season. 

Season 7 reported 30m-35m or so domestically per episode when the season was done, I believe.

Given Season 8’s premiere bump id realistically expect 40m or so per episode domestically.

Then you have to consider legal Worldwide streams and then the vast amount of piracy streams (which are a mix of domestic and worldwide viewers) which don’t appear to be counted.

Hard to know exactly how many people watch, except it’s definitely a lot (and more than any other tv show out there) but also definitely less than 1 Billion.

Itd be just has hard to gage exactly how many people watch Endgame, but simply put it’d be a lot

• Thanks 1

Don’t kid yourself on Doctor Strange, Adm. With James Gunn back in the MCU fold, and Taika being around, and Feige being the one who pushed for both of them, I don’t think we should be worried that the cosmic stuff won’t be crazygonuts enough. I think they understand that they’ve earned the right do to whatever they want, and will proceed to do just that.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

I think if you try to compare Endgame and Game of Thrones viewership this weekend you’re just looking like a fool.

One of them is a PG-13 super hero movie that’s releasing in theaters

The other is an Adult drama TV show the majority of viewers watch illegally (so hard to factor them into rating)

All you have to do is acknowledge the fact they’re both the biggest thing in their respective mediums right now.

Reasonable takes like this are the reason we’re going to miss the page count record, booooo.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I kind of wonder why TDK didn’t have a higher OW. It’s Friday gross was $67 million, so it’s weird that it didn’t finish with something higher than $158 million.

Friday included 18.5 midnights so it was pretty frontloaded. 

3 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

Don’t kid yourself on Doctor Strange. With James Gunn back in the MCU fold, and Taika being around, and Feige being the one who pushed for both of them, I don’t think we should be worried that the cosmic stuff won’t be crazygonuts enough.

I'd really like to see them adapt the recent Jason Aaron run. That would be bonkers. I really enjoyed them.

Ultimately I just think Marvel needs to embrace the 'these movies could be any genre' mantra. So far it's mostly been lipservice with some VERY slight toe dipping in those waters. Doctor Strange as more of a horror movie would be incredible. Fantastic Four fits the current profile (assuming they can solve the Reed Richards problem) but could certainly lean into Sci-fi a bit more. 

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

All marvel contracts are multifilm deals. 

No, bigger stars like Robert Redford and Kurt Russell only signed on for one

Leonardo Di Caprio as Batman maybe could do something ?

Casting annoucement soon I heard ...

The only thing that could rival Endgame is Hollywood jumping the crossover sharks, mixing all their brands because hey why not.

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

TDK OW was something else; Obama was coming, gas prices were sky high, wars still going on, got my first tattoo earlier that week. What a time.

2008-2016 : I liked World Peace too.

Ah, the memories ...

• Like 1