grim22

Moonfall | February 3, 2022 | Lionsgate | Roland Emmerich | Movie about the moon on a collision course with Earth | Not releasing in Canada

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

The movie is awful and the ticket sales so far are equally awful. 

I would love for every single theatrical exclusive movie to do well post-pandemic, but I won't fell when this crashes and burns this weekend.  

Another flop for Lionsgate it seems. Not quite sure what they were thinking picking up a movie from a washed up has-been like Roland Emmerich. John Wick is straight up carrying them now, but I'm not sure how long that's going to last. The big gap between 3 and 4 is going to hurt it big time methinks.

Either way, they likely won't be independent by the time the decade ends.

6 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Yeah, that isn't what happened and when is or has Lionsgate ever been a big studio?

It's not. What I meant was, movie theaters have been screwed by the big studios either pulling movies from theatrical release in order to benefit a streaming service, or reducing the theatrical exclusivity window (in some cases to 0 days). And yet here we have movie theaters turning away a theatrical exclusive release, from a studio that is committed to make the most out of the theatrical run.

Considering how there are less movies being released theatrically and many genres are still struggling to bring audiences back, it feels stupid to refuse to play a movie like this even if Lionsgate is asking for a higher share of the ticket sales.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

It's not. What I meant was, movie theaters have been screwed by the big studios either pulling movies from theatrical release in order to benefit a streaming service, or reducing the theatrical exclusivity window (in some cases to 0 days). And yet here we have movie theaters turning away a theatrical exclusive release, from a studio that is committed to make the most out of the theatrical run.

Considering how there are less movies being released theatrically and many genres are still struggling to bring audiences back, it feels stupid to refuse to play a movie like this even if Lionsgate is asking for a higher share of the ticket sales.

Again, you have this completely backwards.  Theaters aren't refusing to play the movie, Lionsgate is withholding it from them.  

Lionsgate is withholding from theaters the ability to play Moonfall at an X% cut.   

Theaters are rejecting the option to play Moonfall at a Y% cut.    

Neither condition gets you a lack on play on its own, both are required. Basic failed negotiation.

15 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Another flop for Lionsgate it seems. Not quite sure what they were thinking picking up a movie from a washed up has-been like Roland Emmerich. John Wick is straight up carrying them now, but I'm not sure how long that's going to last. The big gap between 3 and 4 is going to hurt it big time methinks.

Either way, they likely won't be independent by the time the decade ends.

Lionsgate will not lose much on this. Either it is a pure pick up.....which means Lionsgate did not pay for the production costs and iwll only be out what it's marketing and distribution costs..or,Lionsgate will presell the film to differents countries,getitng most of the production cost back. Lions gate is very good at passing on the costs to tother people.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Lionsgate will not lose much on this. Either it is a pure pick up.....which means Lionsgate did not pay for the production costs and iwll only be out what it's marketing and distribution costs..or,Lionsgate will presell the film to differents countries,getitng most of the production cost back. Lions gate is very good at passing on the costs to tother people.

Deadline only lists Lionsgate as North American distribution partner -- see my link last page for last year's interview with Emmerich.  They probably invested a quarter...if even that.  The Chinese probably picked up a majority of it -- since Emmerich now apparently has a relationship with them!  Every studio lately seems very good at "passing on the costs to others."  Contemporary film financing is wild!  

6 hours ago, Macleod said:

Deadline only lists Lionsgate as North American distribution partner -- see my link last page for last year's interview with Emmerich.  They probably invested a quarter...if even that.  The Chinese probably picked up a majority of it -- since Emmerich now apparently has a relationship with them!  Every studio lately seems very good at "passing on the costs to others."  Contemporary film financing is wild!  

So does that mean this will actually release in China?

Just saw the most recent trailer.

God, this looks dumb even for an Emmerich film.

And making a hero out of Conspiracy Theorist, at a time when in the US Conspiracy Theories are wreaking havoc on our Democracy..bad timing.

Because of that, as far I am concerned it won't be even be good for laughs.

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

I don't get why a lot of people have already posted their reviews.

Some cinema chains had those special pre-screenings for people that have those Rewards-Club-Cards. Those screenings had no embargoes so they were allowed to post their reviews.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AJG said:

Some cinema chains had those special pre-screenings for people that have those Rewards-Club-Cards. Those screenings had no embargoes so they were allowed to post their reviews.

The reviews are going to be a lot more entertaining then the movie itself.

Almost all of the earlier reviewers are syaing this is a stupid movie even by Emmerich standards.

21 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Just saw the most recent trailer.

God, this looks dumb even for an Emmerich film.

And making a hero out of Conspiracy Theorist, at a time when in the US Conspiracy Theories are wreaking havoc on our Democracy..bad timing.

Because of that, as far I am concerned it won't be even be good for laughs.

It's a movie called Moonfall dude, I don't think anyone is going to care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

I don't get why a lot of people have already posted their reviews.

What's Lionsgate going to do? Prevent them from watching their upcoming sought after movies such as..... John Wick 4 and 5.

Basically Lionsgate has no pull here.

• Haha 1