sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

@TalismanRing and @Mulder have been warned for the long franchise wars in this thread. Thanks @Porthos for bringing it to the mods attentions. 

Please, don't engage in long drawn out arguments. Remember the NIRD principle.

This was like the most vanilla this subject has ever been in this forums, unlike when MCU and Avatar fans go head to head with each other. 

• Like 2

Just now, Nova said:

I actually wonder if Fox is just gonna be a separate studio within Disney. And Disney controls it but movies just get released under the Fox studio name. 

This is what they're doing. Certain properties'll get moved around (X-Men and F4) but for the most part Fox and it's other smaller pieces besides Fox 2000 R.I.P. are still operating on their own just with Disney oversight.

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

It's more common now but every studios delves into their back catalogue to see what can be revived or remade for some time and considering that we got a successful Planet of the Apes trilogy, a very successful Jumanji sequel in the last decade on top of what Disney is doing, it's going to continue.

Not to mention we had the umpteenth remake of A Star is Born gross over well over $200M just last year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Some are actually good. Personally I'm a sucker for period pieces.

Yeah, I know there are many great ones, but I only see them if they are recommended to me by my friends who are also movie geeks. If they like it, I would probably end up liking it too. And they haven't had nice words about GB so far. 

8 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Frozen is doing 500+.

TS4 450+.

TLK 700.

SW: TRS 625-675

Green Book was pretty serious with some fun moments.

If those predictions come true, this is going to be one epic blockbuster year even bigger than last year. 

I mean warner bros is bringing back loony toons with space jam 

scooby doo 

tom and jerry 

just pokemon 

studios are using nostalgia just Disney ips have the most nostalgia attached to it. But other studios are doing it too 

just disney is doing it better lol

• Like 2

Had a slight suspicion the tracking for Aladdin was a bit low. Caught it last night, it’s a crowd pleaser, perfect type of film to enjoy over the holiday weekend.

Hoping JW can pull 30m 4 day. Looks like it will end the streak of getting a 3 multiplier but to be expected following its massive opening.

I do wonder if Disney might look at the less successful films for live action remakes since after The Lion King, they only really have a handful that have the nostalgia factor like The Little Mermaid. 

Part of the problem is places like Reddit jump up and down wanting original stuff.

When Said original stuff is in theaters? well.

Curious to where they were when The Nice Guys was in theaters not being watched.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

2 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I mean warner bros is bringing back loony toons with space jam 

scooby doo 

tom and jerry 

just pokemon 

studios are using nostalgia just Disney ips have the most nostalgia attached to it. But other studios are doing it too 

just disney is doing it better lol

Also it helps that most of these properties they are bring back have performed so well in their original outing and were both critically and box office wise hits. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I don't get how people can root for Disney. I mean remakes aside I like-love their movies, but I don't get how people can root for the company as it is slowly becoming a monopoly. And the effects they have effect the industry as a whole, I mean why else are getting all of these nostalgia based reboots/remakes like Men In Black International or ID:R.

Several weeks ago I mentioned how Disney was approaching monopoly status and the people on this forum attacked me for saying it because I broached the subject during Endgame's opening weekend. BOT members were too buys orgasming over the Endgame numbers to realize how much Disney's growing market share is ultimately very harmful for the industry.

Now with Aladdin overperforming and settling in for a leggy run based on the Cinemascore, Disney is positioned to have the top 4 movies of the summer since Aladdin will likely outperform Far From Home. This infuriates me to no end as FFH looks like absolute garbage and I have to root for it to perform well and outgross Aladdin just to break up the Disney quartet atop the summer box office rankings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Part of the problem is places like Reddit jump up and down wanting original stuff.

When Said original stuff is in theaters? well.

Pretty much this as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I do wonder if Disney might look at the less successful films for live action remakes since after The Lion King, they only really have a handful that have the nostalgia factor like The Little Mermaid. 

Sure obscure stuff like Peter Pan.

I think David Lowery is great and I'm one of the supposed few that remembers and loved Pete's Dragon but another Peter Pan?  Why???

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

You all need to relax...the money is getting spread around, at least domestically...here's the current top 10, all over $100M DOM...Disney will have only 4 of the top 12 after this weekend (since JW3 is also going $100M after this weekend)...so, while it seems like total dominance b/c their supers go so big, there has been room for everyone to get along...and the Disney supers in 2020 won't touch the top 2 of this year, I don't think...

Avengers: Endgame BV $781,331,736 4,662 $357,115,007 4,662 4/26 -
2 Captain Marvel BV $425,422,352 4,310 $153,433,423 4,310 3/8 -
3 Us Uni. $174,748,645 3,743 $71,117,625 3,741 3/22 -
4 How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World Uni. $160,406,630 4,286 $55,022,245 4,259 2/22 -
5 Shazam! WB (NL) $138,235,556 4,306 $53,505,326 4,217 4/5 -
6 Dumbo (2019) BV $111,655,413 4,259 $45,990,748 4,259 3/29 -
7 Glass Uni. $111,035,005 3,844 $40,328,920 3,841 1/18 4/4
8 The Upside STX $108,252,517 3,568 $20,355,000 3,080 1/11 5/2
9 The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part WB $105,806,508 4,303 $34,115,335 4,303 2/8 5/9
10 Pokemon Detective Pikachu WB $102,822,622 4,248 $54,365,242 4,202 5/10

I’m not concerned about Disney, but I find it a little funny that you’re supporting “the money is getting spread around” with a top 10 chart where 2 MCU movies are over 54% of the gross :hahaha:

• Haha 3