sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

55 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Guy Ritchie is a much better director than Bill Condon and the Sherlock movies and Man from UNCLE show that Guy Ritchie is a pretty competent director. What the movie needed was better marketing and a better release date.

Wait, the sherlock movies showed that? Not, let's say, the Snatch or LSATSB? 

On 5/22/2019 at 5:28 PM, Thanos Legion said:

So how does this work again? I turn the lights off, say “walk up heavy” 3 times in front of a mirror, and it hits 100M?

I guess this is, in fact, how it works. I will use this power judiciously.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Nerfy said:

Funny you should say this, because I was just on a plane and the woman next to me was watching Aquaman. :ohmygod:

I guess they’ve got that airplane demo on lock :redcapes:

:ohmygod:

Aquaman is awesome, though. Endlessly rewatchable so no wonder. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Would be funny if this ends up being a Zootopia over there 

Online scores do not suggest so. 9.0 / 9.1 on Maoyan is great but not epic enough for a breakout run. I think its holds will be good, but nothing crazy especially with:

a)Godzilla coming out next week

b) 2 big local films (one is expected to have an extremely strong WoM) + Dark Phoenix coming out the week after.

A huge deal about China is the screencounts; no matter how good a show is, if screens get cut, its hard to recover.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Pikachu not reaching 150m now. Ouch

also a huge reversal in terms of the fortunes of Pikachu and Aladdin based on what people originally thought 

Definitely not. Will lose thousands of screens soon.

53 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Aladdin is literally doing as I expected. Good and awesome compared to expectations but could’ve been better had Disney not put it in the middle of Endgame and TS4. Should do around $270M-$280M DOM.

Still I think some of you are overestimating legs. This doesn’t have the holiday corridor musicals like Frozen and Bohemian or even ASIB (to an extent) had that allowed legs. But I can buy a 3x multiplier.

270-280M is great considering many expected Aladdin to flop. I think it'll have POTC:COTBP run dom and OS. It's a perfect adventure romance with likable leads, great songs,humor and spectacle and nothing coming out looks like a direct competition. I think it'll stick around due to rewatch factor.