sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’d argue Rocketman is competition for the female demographic and Godzilla is taking away it’s premium screens and IMAX.

An R rated movie about a gay man is competition for family, kids friendly Aladdin? Nah....i don't see it. Rocketman is doing under 30M anyway

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Nowadays, people only go to cinema to watch fancy VFX action oriented blockbuster.

The era of dialogue driven drama/comedy doing gangbuster business like Ted, Blindside, Hangover, My big fat greek wedding  , wedding crasher or meet the fockers is just gone and never come back.

2018 through, is quite a good year for this kind of non-eye popping film, a star is born, bohemian rhapsody, crazy rich asian were doing great.  

I’d argue CRA, Bohemian Rhapsody and ASiB all had an element of spectacle to them most other dramas/comedies do not. I’m increasingly convinced straight dramas and comedies are becoming obsolete at the box office thanks to Netflix.

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Nowadays, people only go to cinema to watch fancy VFX action oriented blockbuster.

The era of dialogue driven drama/comedy doing gangbuster business like Ted, Blindside, Hangover, My big fat greek wedding  , wedding crasher or meet the fockers is just gone and never come back.

2018 through, is quite a good year for this kind of non-eye popping film, a star is born, bohemian rhapsody, crazy rich asian were doing great.  

That’s why most of those blockbuster-type of movies are among the top 100 highest grossing films there. The CGI/VFX-driven movies have absolute mass OS-appeal. Rarely do we see pure comedies (non-CGI/VFX-driven movies) do gangbusters worldwide and only Ted, Meet the Fockers & Hangover 2 made over between $500-600M+.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

An R rated movie about a gay man is competition for family, kids friendly Aladdin? Nah....i don't see it. Rocketman is doing under 30M anyway

It's not competition for the family portion of the audience but it's still taking away females over 25. 

While Sony contends the movie cost $6M net before P&A, we heard from two sources with knowledge of the budget that the R-rated horror anti-Superman film cost $12M net after Georgia rebates, which means Brightburn will not reach break-even after distribution costs.

LOL, a 12M flop.

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

It's not competition for the family portion of the audience but it's still taking away females over 25. 

Maybe a small portion of those females:  unmarried, without kids

Edited by Alli

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Guy Ritchie now going from punchline to being suggested for every blockbuster film? 

What’s weird is it didn’t feel like a Ritchie film at all.  It was your typical remake., no better or worse. I can’t help but think Disney had such control of filming he was creatively muted.  

1 minute ago, cookie said:

I’d argue CRA, Bohemian Rhapsody and ASiB all had an element of spectacle to them most other dramas/comedies do not. I’m increasingly convinced straight dramas and comedies are becoming obsolete at the box office thanks to Netflix.

I have seen those film and I can't see how they aren't straight drama/comedy.

They are just like my big fat greek wedding, bridemaids, walk the line, straight outta compton, ray.......

The scenario lies with movie industry today is people think big screens are solely serving for visual spectacle. In the past, juno or slumdog millionaire can be an indie breakout on big screen but now online streaming severely attack the drama/comedy audience of cinema.  

21 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Aladdin is literally doing as I expected. Good and awesome compared to expectations but could’ve been better had Disney not put it in the middle of Endgame and TS4. Should do around $270M-$280M DOM.

Still I think some of you are overestimating legs. This doesn’t have the holiday corridor musicals like Frozen and Bohemian or even ASIB (to an extent) had that allowed legs. But I can buy a 3x multiplier.

True but some are dismissng 280 pretending it's not exploding with great WOM this weekend. 270 sounds reasonable for sure. I think late legs will be hurt bad. Detective Pikachu will fall so hard now. It's going to lose a ton of screens.

Rocketman is gonna skew older for the most part (even the PG-13 Bohemian Rhapsody drew almost 80% over 25). Aladdin will see a decent-sized drop next weekend more because it's coming off of a big holiday weekend than because of much in the way of audience overlap (though having two other movies also looking to take different levels of chunk out of the box office will also contribute).

I'm still lost as to why Godzilla, Rocketman, and Ma are all opening on the same weekend. Feels like they each could've gone higher than their current forecasts had even two of them had opened on the same frame but not all three.

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

have they really? Woke twitter asks for it but is woke twitter real representation of what GA women want? Ladies on my plane watched Aquaman, not Ocean's 8 or other female driven movie, just for the record. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but it's a big plane with plenty of passengers and #1 choice with women by a large margin was Aquaman.

Moreover, normies of any gender don't care who directs a movie unless it's one of few Star Directors who are draws on their own (Nolan, Cameron, QT, Spielberg, etc). So very doubtful that any normie lady checked who directed Booksmart as a reason to see the movie.  

Finally, concept is everything. Just because the movie has women in it, is about women, etc it doesn't mean it looks more appealing to women than a movie with different concept. My teenage sisters totally wanted to see Aladdin, and have no interest in Booksmart, for example. They find Jasmine more appealing cause she is pretty, wears terrific clothes, sings and has 2 guys fight over her. they don't find Booksmart girls appealing either as wishful thinking (which Jasmine is) or someone they relate to. 

Sorry Olivia but just making it all about women doesn't necessarily make it more appealing to all women when there's more appealing alternative such as Aladdin, EG, etc. 

Funny you should say this, because I was just on a plane and the woman next to me was watching Aquaman. :ohmygod:

I guess they’ve got that airplane demo on lock :redcapes:

Why do you have some expectation about booksmart. because of metacritic? Who cares about metacrtic, only to the fanboys of blockbusters care about it. Surely not to teens, girls or not. 

Anyway as someone just said Netflix release a teen movie like that every week. Maybe it just needed Noah Centineo in it. 

The marketing of Aladdin hadn't nothing wrong as the box office is showing,  "looking like bollywod is weird" (Yeah racism has something to do with it) isn't bad marketing. Imagine thinking a teaser trailer with Will Smith as the genie is bad marketing. Only for the memeboys around. 

The only bad choice from disney is the release date, so close to dumbo, end game and toy story 4 and with The Lion king as Live action event of the year in people minds. Aladdin deserved to be the live action event of the year. 

A star is born, Bohemian, The greatest showman, La La Land are all musicals, nothing new. Musicals are doing great in this decade, well loved in all anglophone markets, Asia, Australia. Rocket Man is the next.